Results...Red Shoes Billiards BANK POOL TOURNAMENT (2/16/2013)

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
****FULL FIELD**** Ike Runnels did a "Universal Chop" (Ike had the winners side) with Jeff Carter and Freddie "the Beard" Bentivegna (who "chopped" what was left of 1st/2nd/3rd)...4th John Rawski, 5th-6th Eric Wemes/Eric Hincks 7th-8th Mike Muhlbrant/Ed Latimer. CONGRATULATIONS to everybody who cashed.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The chop: Ike was on the winners side. At 4 am he decided to go home and asked to chop for the finals. He would have had to wait for two more matches to be played before he would have been able to play in the finals. That would have taken another 3 hours, especially since the last 3 besides him was Jeff Carter, John Roske, and me -- players well known for their deliberate, suffocating styles of play.

After I defeated Roske at 5:30am shortening the field to a final 3, I, Jeff and I voted to go home, putting the tournament into a 3 way tie for 1st.

We started play at 12:30pm so I had already been playing 17 hours.

Beard

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
After I won my first 3 matches and then lost my 4th to Jeff Carter, putting me in the money (enough to get my entry fee back), I was already wore out (it was 7pm) and I was ready to call it a day and go home. Since I still had 1 more barrel left, it was double elim, the guy with me, Little Frankie Filerino, insisted I stay and play just to see what happens. (I went home 10 1/2 hrs later)

There were 2 matches that needed to finish before I could play again -- and I wasnt about to eat a meal -- I went to the grocery and got a bag of peanuts and raisins and filled up. Then I took a nap in a chair. I got woken up to play young Eric Hinkus, a good player who finishes high in all these tourns. I was groggy, but I put down enough oil to slow the kid down.

About 3:30 am I resisted the urge to drink one of those 5 hr red bottles that I had brought along for an emergency. I had been keeping the edge up with about 8 or 9 cups of decaffinated tea.

John started out strong and won the first rack 11 to 4. A very substantial lead when you are only going to 23. It was at that point I told John (who was a very tight player) that I was going to shitcan the oil and open all the way up. It was then that he made a stategic mistake. Probably trying to poo-poo my threat of playing wide open, he broke the rack wide open instead of a safe break. Just what I needed.

I won that rack 10 to 5 and the last rack went down to the last ball. We both needed three and John ran two and missed the out ball. He left me an off angle cross side. I ran the cue ball around the table trying to hit and stay near the other two balls but went around them and wound up at the bottom of the table. I had a full length straight back, I went all-out and smacked it hard and stopped the cue ball near the other ball. It went in perfect and I was left with another straight back but I was only about 2 ft away from this one. I went all out again and hit it hard with a full stroke and it split the pocket to complete the 3 and out.

With that, Jeff Carter, who was still there decided to go home at 5:30 am, even tho I had unbelievable caught a second wind around 4am.

Beard

Contrary to the untoward attempt to discredit my showing by the "C....m J...p.r," we did not whack up the first "six or so places." After 17 hrs of play we settled for a 3 way tie for 1st. I had already won 5 matches in a full 32 player field. If not we would have probably had to play until 9am or so.

"C.J" should keep his nose out of the Bank Forum as was once requested by the forum moderator, he has enough problems dealing with the PM he sent to the Hacker.

Last edited:

Worm

Verified Member
Great shooting Beard, I was hoping to get a chance to play you but I couldn't fade John Roske. He had me by 3 balls our entire match, everytime I caught up, I scratched.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The chop: Ike was on the winners side. At 4 am he decided to go home and asked to chop for the finals. He would have had to wait for two more matches to be played before he would have been able to play in the finals. That would have taken another 3 hours, especially since the last 3 besides him was Jeff Carter, John Roske, and me -- players well known for their deliberate, suffocating styles of play.

After I defeated Roske at 5:30am shortening the field to a final 3, I, Jeff and I voted to go home, putting the tournament into a 3 way tie for 1st.

Beard

I realize I am not reinventing the wheel here or anything, but if a guy that has to wait 4 or so hours at 4am wants to split, i'm probably telling him to take a hike. He just may run out and leave you playing for first place money sooner than expected.Same sentiment as I have had before, but once again, as pool players what we are all after is money, yet the only tactical moving for the cash comes on the table. If the objective is to win money, one should be thinking strategically both on and off the table.

Nice shooting by the way freddy, those are some straight shooters, and your result speaks volumes about your bank pool knowledge.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
17 hours

17 hours

Beard
What were you taking fred, i want some of it, gotta play in Truman's tourney this weekend. Played in one from 11 am to the finals the next morning ended at 7:07 am, my wife was going nuts.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What were you taking fred, i want some of it, gotta play in Truman's tourney this weekend. Played in one from 11 am to the finals the next morning ended at 7:07 am, my wife was going nuts.

Well, you know what I am talking about. All I took was about 9 or 10 decaf tea's. However, afterwards I spent all of Sunday and much of Monday whacked out on the couch. I aint stayed up that late for at least 20 years.

Beard

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
That's exactly what happened to me last year, in the last two local tournaments that I played in :mad: and that's why I've now stopped playing in them...

PS, Good job Freddy - you've still got a little animal left in you...:heh

i'M CLOSE to making the same decision, i came in 5th. in the last truman tournament, just ran out of gas, it becomes who can endure being there for 18 hours or so? I don't need the money all that bad. lol.

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Gentlemen....Let's give the guys a break. It was a long day for the "players". The youngest guy in that made the semi-finals was "Ike" (and he is pushing 60). All the young guns (Neal Jacobs, Eric Hincks, the Werm etc..etc..) had been eliminated. Carter & Rawski are well into their 60s and for "Freddie" well...lets just say it has been a few years since he was asked to the "prom". So Again, CONGRATULATIONS to the "experienced players" who showed that "treachery, squeezing and deceit" can overcome "youth, vim and vigor" once in a while.

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Gentlemen....Let's give the guys a break. It was a long day for the "players". The youngest guy in that made the semi-finals was "Ike" (and he is pushing 60). All the young guns (Neal Jacobs, Eric Hincks, the Werm etc..etc..) had been eliminated. Carter & Rawski are well into their 60s and for "Freddie" well...lets just say it has been a few years since he was asked to the "prom". So Again, CONGRATULATIONS to the "experienced players" who showed that "treachery, squeezing and deceit" can overcome "youth, vim and vigor" once in a while.