Scratching on the break

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I recently relocated, and am playing a little in a room in my new city. Most of the one-pocket players here are relative beginners. Right from the first day, I find it almost impossible to use my usual break, which is the traditional one- without scratching. The cueball is not being kicked in by the stray corner ball. It goes in directly from the point of contact with the rack. Just about everyone is having the same trouble. The few who are successful are avoiding the pocket by an inch or less. No one seems to realize that this is not the usual result of breaking. I have become a believer and have gone to a much less aggressive break nearer the back of the rack.

It's almost as if the cueball is lighter than the other balls. Is this the most likely answer? Good equipment here. Name-brand table and Simonis fabric in good condition. Plain white cueball, no dots or circles. Any other ideas?

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Get a new cue ball

Get a new cue ball

vapros said:
I recently relocated, and am playing a little in a room in my new city. Most of the one-pocket players here are relative beginners. Right from the first day, I find it almost impossible to use my usual break, which is the traditional one- without scratching. The cueball is not being kicked in by the stray corner ball. It goes in directly from the point of contact with the rack. Just about everyone is having the same trouble. The few who are successful are avoiding the pocket by an inch or less. No one seems to realize that this is not the usual result of breaking. I have become a believer and have gone to a much less aggressive break nearer the back of the rack.

It's almost as if the cueball is lighter than the other balls. Is this the most likely answer? Good equipment here. Name-brand table and Simonis fabric in good condition. Plain white cueball, no dots or circles. Any other ideas?

Your question begs for a question. I mean you tell everyone you are relocated and playing in a tiny room but you don't bother to tell us where you came from and where you are. You have got to know we would be curious about that.
It sounds like it is a bad cue ball to me. I cannot imagine it being anything else. If it is plain I guarantee it is bad. Probably not only light but out of round.
What kind of name brand? See you created a bunch of questions. lol

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
vapros said:
It almost has to be the cueball. Without any markings, it's probably a light weight one from a cheap set. Order a Super Aramith Pro or a red circle (not red dot) from Mueller online, or somewhere else. That way you'll have one for your own use. They're only 6-8 bucks. Perhaps the owner would like to buy several himself.

Good luck,

Doc

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Try using an object ball as the cue ball. That should be the same weight as all the other object balls, and should tell you if it is indeed the cueball, or your stroke. I don't mean to insult you, but we don't know what skill level you are.

Donovan

Verified Member
From
Fort Worth, TX
There is always the solution to bring your own entire ball set with you regularly too. That way you know that the weights are all close. Super Aramtih Pro Set or Brunswick Centenials are both pricey, but really the only way to go, if you choose this path.