Slow/tight players

chicagomike

Verified Member
So I'm at the local pool room yesterday and it so happens that the guys next to me appear to be playing a mid day straight pool league match. I keep hearing one of the guys saying"At this rate we will not be able to finish out match". (lots of missed balls and safety play). He had another upcoming commitment. About 30 minutes later when the score was something like 51 to 60(going to 120) he again mentioned running out of time. His opponent says,"Well if you would stop playing so safe perhaps we could finish". Me and a couple of other guys bust into laughter as it was a pretty good line. They ultimately stop the match so as not to infringe on the player's time commitment.

This got me to wondering what the best way is to handle slow, methodical, extremely safe playing one pocket opponents? I find it difficult and typically it takes me out of my game.

What are your thoughts?...as I'm certain most of you have encountered this situation.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
There is a guy here thats real slow. I played him a few times, he gambles good and its a good game for me, but i don't play him anymore. Its just not worth it. Problem solved

unoperro

Verified Member
Just finished a 8 ball barbox trnmnt this last weekend. Triple elim. 5 man team. I dont know the guys running the trnmnt but I had one come up to me and introduce himself. He commented he liked the way I play.
I break and run a table they clocked me 58 seconds. The next game I played opponent broke and dogged their last ball. They timed me again and chided me for slowing way down. 82 seconds.
I detest statue players. I dislike lookie-lous. When the balls come to rest get to work;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This got me to wondering what the best way is to handle slow, methodical, extremely safe playing one pocket opponents? I find it difficult and typically it takes me out of my game.

What are your thoughts?...as I'm certain most of you have encountered this situation.

Mike, you'll just have to tell Ghost to pick it up a little..:D

Jokes aside, I don't think there's really anything you can do about it. Some players may not realize how slow they are, and that they're dragging down the match. So perhaps those guys would be willing to pick it up. But usually painfully slow players are not likely to change. About all you can do is just not play them. In a tournament, you have no choice. If it gets real bad you can appeal to the T.D.

~Doc

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I had a guy here in Tyler that was a easy win even though we were playing cheap he would take forever to play even if the shot was clear as day, then he would want to go smoke. I quit playing him it was like having teeth pulled.---Smitty

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Confuseus Say, "If a person likes to complain , it is unlikely he will ever run out of things that irk him."

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
When I was at the DCC, I played some guy from Chicago that played slower than molasses. The first night it threw me for a loop and I lost bad. The night night, I took naps between turns, I didn't have to watch him play slow, and because it was the middle of the night, I could use them as power naps. :lol:lol:lol

baby huey

Verified Member
Mike, one thing about 14.1 is that when it's your turn, the game can go as fast or as slow as you like. I have heard that the late great Frank Taberski was slower than frozen molases. And this was the world champion circa 1910. Until he ran into some guy named Ralph Greenleaf. By the way your one pocket game is pretty sporty for a guy who carries a badge.

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I see players who take some time between shots that seem extreme, but then when you look at what they eventually shoot I wonder are they actually slow, or very deliberate. I know a couple of guys like that who, given an opening they aren't particularly slow about running out.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Does anybody change their style of play or do anything mentally to stay tuff while they grind out an opponent as described?

chicagomike

Verified Member
Mike, one thing about 14.1 is that when it's your turn, the game can go as fast or as slow as you like. I have heard that the late great Frank Taberski was slower than frozen molases. And this was the world champion circa 1910. Until he ran into some guy named Ralph Greenleaf. By the way your one pocket game is pretty sporty for a guy who carries a badge.

Nice bit of history...thanks Jerry. I owe my play to mis-spent youth.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Consenses

Consenses

Its just not worth it. Problem solved
Painfully slow players are not likely to change
I quit playing him it was like having teeth pulled
it is unlikely he will ever run out of things that irk him."
I took naps between turns
When you look at what they eventually shoot I wonder are they actually slow, or very deliberate.

this perspective is often in play

youngstown

Verified Member
Slow/tight players

Does anybody change their style of play or do anything mentally to stay tuff while they grind out an opponent as described?

Earbuds help. Listening to your favorite music is the time honored traditional way of distracting yourself from _____

Eengat

Verified Member
Brad Gilbert in 'winning ugly' says:"the way to fight slow play is to play slower'.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Mike,

Do you equate tight play with slow play?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I like playing against tight/conservative players... Players who will not ever shoot at their hole when they can't play safe also...gives me much more latitude in my shot selections...

Playing against tight players who also squeeze you and take an inordinate amount of time to find the absolute correct shot is totally different IMO.. They look over every conceivable option every time it's their shot and are a total bore to play against...it is of course their prerogative to play at whatever pace they choose, as there are no rules in place to govern slow play... I just quit the game & cross them off my play list... Life's to short, especially at my age...:)

Rhythm plays a big part in some people's arsenal and players who use the constant delay tactic ( whether consciously or unconsciously ) are IMO to be avoided... Can't avoid them in tournament play of course, and that has cost me a match or two in some events... Just need to have a different mind set when I encounter these type of players... I suppose I could fight fire with fire, but then I would be promoting slow play and I can't ever see me doing that intentionally...

Gambling matches are made at the discretion of each player, tournament matches proceed according to a bracket over which the player has no control...Until a governing body grabs the Bull by the horns and lays down some hard but fair rules concerning slow play, I'm afraid we will be forced to deal with it in tournament play, and have the option of playing or not in gambling matches...

chicagomike

Verified Member
I like playing against tight/conservative players... Players who will not ever shoot at their hole when they can't play safe also...gives me much more latitude in my shot selections...

Playing against tight players who also squeeze you and take an inordinate amount of time to find the absolute correct shot is totally different IMO.. They look over every conceivable option every time it's their shot and are a total bore to play against...it is of course their prerogative to play at whatever pace they choose, as there are no rules in place to govern slow play... I just quit the game & cross them off my play list... Life's to short, especially at my age...:)

Rhythm plays a big part in some people's arsenal and players who use the constant delay tactic ( whether consciously or unconsciously ) are IMO to be avoided... Can't avoid them in tournament play of course, and that has cost me a match or two in some events... Just need to have a different mind set when I encounter these type of players... I suppose I could fight fire with fire, but then I would be promoting slow play and I can't ever see me doing that intentionally...

Gambling matches are made at the discretion of each player, tournament matches proceed according to a bracket over which the player has no control...Until a governing body grabs the Bull by the horns and lays down some hard but fair rules concerning slow play, I'm afraid we will be forced to deal with it in tournament play, and have the option of playing or not in gambling matches...

I have tried playing at a slow speed trying to fight fire with fire, but that takes me out of my own game which frustrates me even further. I agree I also like the conservative player as it opens more options once I realized they will pass on challenging shots typically from long distances....I think it's best just to take them off of my play list as has been mentioned.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Mike,

Do you equate tight play with slow play?

No I don't, but just included both to encourage additional conversation. At times for me I have found both can be frustrating to play against, but I would rather play a tight player than a slow player and often times I can actually learn a lot by playing a tight/conservative player.