John Schmidt at BullShooters

frmn

Verified Member
John Schmiidt began his quest to beat Mosconi's record yesterday at BullShooters in Phoenix. His first attempt was 179. For the day he had 4 runs over 100 and finished the day with a lofty run of 384 that featured a few amazing shots to keep the run alive.

He continues today at noon Az time. There is some streaming on facebook ( idon't know the link). He will play Sunday through Thursday 12-6 until April 16. Come on down and support John in his lifelong dream, you won't be disappointed.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
John Schmiidt began his quest to beat Mosconi's record yesterday at BullShooters in Phoenix. His first attempt was 179. For the day he had 4 runs over 100 and finished the day with a lofty run of 384 that featured a few amazing shots to keep the run alive.

He continues today at noon Az time. There is some streaming on facebook ( idon't know the link). He will play Sunday through Thursday 12-6 until April 16. Come on down and support John in his lifelong dream, you won't be disappointed.

384 on demand is very, very, impressive.
Considering Mosconi played nearly every night, for years and years, with the opportunity to set records, to just walk in cold and run 384 while trying to set a record, is phenomenal to me.
I have a new respect for John, and even if this ends up to be his best run , to me he has proven, he is one of the greatest straight pool players who ever lived.
Phenomenal again , considering the game has been pretty much a footnote for 40 years.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I have not met John before but I had a chance to observe him at the DCC when he was playing near me. I really like the way he carries himself and how he interacts with other players. He seems to be a classy guy and I am pulling for him to break Mosconi's record.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I'm wondering if he's attempting to break the record on similar table conditions as the one Mosconi used, or he's trying it on a modern table with regulation pockets.

Mosconi's 526 was done on a 4 X 8 table with 5-1/4" corner pockets. If Schmidt is not using that type of easy equipment, then his efforts will be much, much harder. And if he should break the record on that tougher equipment, the feat would be that much more impressive. Running 526 on a modern Diamond or Brunswick with 4-1/2" pockets seems to me nearly impossible.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm wondering if he's attempting to break the record on similar table conditions as the one Mosconi used, or he's trying it on a modern table with regulation pockets.

Mosconi's 526 was done on a 4 X 8 table with 5-1/4" corner pockets. If Schmidt is not using that type of easy equipment, then his efforts will be much, much harder. And if he should break the record on that tougher equipment, the feat would be that much more impressive. Running 526 on a modern Diamond or Brunswick with 4-1/2" pockets seems to me nearly impossible.

~Doc

i know doc
he has only gotten to 424 so far.....:D

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I have not met John before but I had a chance to observe him at the DCC when he was playing near me. I really like the way he carries himself and how he interacts with other players. He seems to be a classy guy and I am pulling for him to break Mosconi's record.
He watches pool on facebook streams and comments too. So he is a pool fan

frmn

Verified Member
The table he is playing on is a 4 1/2 by 9 Brunswick with 5 inch corner pockets and 5 1/4 side pockets with Simonis cloth. Thursday saw 4 more runs of 100 and a 228. He is quite a showman and has great interaction with spectators. it is amazing to watch his level of concentration ramp up as the runs become bigger. As always we invite everyone to come down and witness his attempt to break this longstanding record. Who knows your name and signature might be on the official testimonial document.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
John is a good friend of mine and has been over a few times to play on my table. I hope he does break the record even though it would make my Mosconi poster worthless. lol. I told him he will have to replace it with one of his after he breaks the record. Not if, but when.

My Mosconi poster was autographed by him and my poster is number 98 of 526. That record has been around for quite a few years is ready to be broken. Good luck John.

Mossconi.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John is a good friend of mine and has been over a few times to play on my table. I hope he does break the record even though it would make my Mosconi poster worthless. lol. I told him he will have to replace it with one of his after he breaks the record. Not if, but when.

My Mosconi poster was autographed by him and my poster is number 98 of 526. That record has been around for quite a few years is ready to be broken. Good luck John.
Frank, was that poster done by Dan Birkbeck, or the Birkbeck twins? They did such wonderful illustrations. They studied under Norman Rockwell, you know. I have Ray Martin's signed with a nice sentiment displayed in my poolroom.

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The table he is playing on is a 4 1/2 by 9 Brunswick with 5 inch corner pockets and 5 1/4 side pockets with Simonis cloth. Thursday saw 4 more runs of 100 and a 228. He is quite a showman and has great interaction with spectators. it is amazing to watch his level of concentration ramp up as the runs become bigger. As always we invite everyone to come down and witness his attempt to break this longstanding record. Who knows your name and signature might be on the official testimonial document.
Well, that'll sure help. But the 4-1/2 X 9 makes it a lot tougher than on a 4 X 8. I'd love to see him do it. I have no doubt in my mind that he could do it on a 4 x 8.

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Frank, was that poster done by Dan Birkbeck, or the Birkbeck twins? They did such wonderful illustrations. They studied under Norman Rockwell, you know. I have Ray Martin's signed with a nice sentiment displayed in my poolroom.

~Doc

I'm not sure who did it but it's a good question and I will try to find out some information on it. It is very well done.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Their work was primitive compared to that poster.
It almost looks like a montage of photographs that was put together and then printed.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I wonder what the approximate stat is on runs ending getting stuck to a ball or tied up after the break vs flat out missing an open shot.

I would bet the runs primarily end as a result of a tough layout/bad roll after a break.

I bet John does not even play much competitive straight pool. I think if all the guys were matched up and in tournaments playimg straight pool daily, learning the true essence of how to hit those break shots under the gun (not that they aren't really good already), the number would fall easily.

I thought that number had been reached before btw. Maybe the number i am thinking of was unverified. I forget the players name I am referring to unfortunately.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Pool lore is full of claims of exceedingly high runs, but which were not witnessed, verified or attested to. Mosconi's 526 is the highest run witnessed and attested. There have been multiple runs in the 400's. I've heard tales of 600, 700 balls run, which I take as hokum.

IMO the record which will never be broken is Irving Crane's 309 on a 5 x 10 table in 1939.

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Pool lore is full of claims of exceedingly high runs, but which were not witnessed, verified or attested to. Mosconi's 526 is the highest run witnessed and attested. There have been multiple runs in the 400's. I've heard tales of 600, 700 balls run, which I take as hokum.

IMO the record which will never be broken is Irving Crane's 309 on a 5 x 10 table in 1939.

~Doc

I saw this on Z.. Could there possibly be any truth in this??.. I just post it since Jewett said it..(I don't think of him as a Jim Comey type).. Of course he didn't say he saw anything.. Just heard about it..I don't believe it...... Go Schmidt...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Without bona fide witnessed testimony, I don't believe that anyone has ever run 600-700+ balls on a 9' table, nor has 400+ likely ever been run on a 10' table.

Cranfield was truly a ball running machine, as many of the great 14.1 players were. I saw him play at the '68 world championships in NYC. He was a very nervous chain smoking type individual. But he never won a world championship.

~Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Without bona fide witnessed testimony, I don't believe that anyone has ever run 600-700+ balls on a 9' table, nor has 400+ likely ever been run on a 10' table.

Cranfield was truly a ball running machine, as many of the great 14.1 players were. I saw him play at the '68 world championships in NYC. He was a very nervous chain smoking type individual. But he never won a world championship.

~Doc

Doc, Cranfield is said to have run 768 and 450 and 420 a 10'; Charlie Ursitti said he racked and watched Mosconi run 608 and lay down his cue saying something like: See it's not so tough to run 600; Engert has run 491; Gene Nagy ran 430; Dallas West 429; Ray Martin 426; Allen Hopkins 421; Hohmann 408; Earl 408; Joe Balsis 375; and there are many more.

Lou Figueroa

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I know pool players never tell a lie , but all that stuff that happened in someones basement , even with a video tape is not acceptable for me .
Too easy to fudge