DCC-My Cross Country Trip

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Hi all, Just woke up in Flagstaff AZ. To tell you the truth, I feel lucky to be alive after last night. I had heard that Flagstaff was a funny area, and checked the weather in the morning. It said 30% chance of snowy slush and 37 degrees. So I'm thinking cool.. I'll take I-40 over the mountains instead of going down further south to I-10 to bypass the mountains.

So I'm about 30 miles from Flagstaff, it's about 6:00 pm and it's getting awfully nasty looking and getting dark. It then starts raining lightly, then changes to snow, then changes to blizzard conditions in the space of about 10 mins. At ths point, we're going up a pretty steep incline, I'm chugging along about 35 mph and I can't see anything past my hood. My only idea of the road is every once in a while I see a white square flash by of the lanes. I have semi's flying past me and people riding my ass behind me.

I was following lights in front of me, but people were going faster then me, so I woujld lose those lights real fast. I spent almost 30 years in Nebraska and have been thru countless blizzards and the worst of winter conditions. I have always enjoyed driving in bad snow conditions, but this time, since I could not see the road at all, it was scary as hell.

I wanted to pull over, but I had no idea where the road was to pull over, plus I'm going uphill so I wouldn't have been able to get going again, plus I would have been a danger to everyone else and would have got plowed into. I seriously thought I was going to drive off the road and crash and would not even have known it until it happened.

And then thank god, the traffic slowed way down and then the concern was if the traffic stopped. If it did, i was screwed because I would have not been able to go again and wojuldhave ended up sliding down the road and crashing into someone.

but thankfully the snow stopped and I made it to the exit. I could hardly walk after I got out. It took me seveal hours to come down from that scare. Sumbitch!

Anyways.. my last leg is today and I'll be in vegas.

Just wanted to let everyone know here, that I'm been absent here due to everything I've been up to. I still check in here and there. I'll be back to posting before too long. (And Steve, no.. I'm still onboard here and getting lots of stuff done.. just need to get settled in a little first :))

I'm missing the DCC big time and hope all of you there are having fun. Just watched the end of the Gentile//Amjet - Kirkus/White match. Gentile's team was down 4-2 going to 5 for 5 grand and then came back to tie it up. The final game, Amjet made 6 of the 8 balls in the final game. Mind you, not together, but 1 at a time:D So they took down the cash. White should have reined in Kirkus in better and coached him to play safer shots according to his ability.

got to get ready and get on the road.

See you all later and Good Luck John in the Banks!

Greg

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Your only 2 hours from me Greg. I know how it is to be worse for wear and in Flagstaff, those roads can be crazy and the people driving on them too. I drove my NY to AZ and that Flagstaff journey was at the end of my trip and I was exhausted and nodding off with a Uhaul behind my car, I thought I was going to die and it was nerve wracking. Sometimes its best to puss out and pull over instead of endangering yourself and others. :)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Hi all, Just woke up in Flagstaff AZ. To tell you the truth, I feel lucky to be alive after last night. I had heard that Flagstaff was a funny area, and checked the weather in the morning. It said 30% chance of snowy slush and 37 degrees. So I'm thinking cool.. I'll take I-40 over the mountains instead of going down further south to I-10 to bypass the mountains.

So I'm about 30 miles from Flagstaff, it's about 6:00 pm and it's getting awfully nasty looking and getting dark. It then starts raining lightly, then changes to snow, then changes to blizzard conditions in the space of about 10 mins. At ths point, we're going up a pretty steep incline, I'm chugging along about 35 mph and I can't see anything past my hood. My only idea of the road is every once in a while I see a white square flash by of the lanes. I have semi's flying past me and people riding my ass behind me.

I was following lights in front of me, but people were going faster then me, so I woujld lose those lights real fast. I spent almost 30 years in Nebraska and have been thru countless blizzards and the worst of winter conditions. I have always enjoyed driving in bad snow conditions, but this time, since I could not see the road at all, it was scary as hell.

I wanted to pull over, but I had no idea where the road was to pull over, plus I'm going uphill so I wouldn't have been able to get going again, plus I would have been a danger to everyone else and would have got plowed into. I seriously thought I was going to drive off the road and crash and would not even have known it until it happened.

And then thank god, the traffic slowed way down and then the concern was if the traffic stopped. If it did, i was screwed because I would have not been able to go again and wojuldhave ended up sliding down the road and crashing into someone.

but thankfully the snow stopped and I made it to the exit. I could hardly walk after I got out. It took me seveal hours to come down from that scare. Sumbitch!

Just wanted to let everyone know here, that I'm been absent here due to everything I've been up to. I still check in here and there. I'll be back to posting before too long. (And Steve, no.. I'm still onboard here and getting lots of stuff done.. just need to get settled in a little first :))

I'm missing the DCC big time and hope all of you there are having fun. Just watched the end of the Gentile//Amjet - Kirkus/White match. Gentile's team was down 4-2 going to 5 for 5 grand and then came back to tie it up. The final game, Amjet made 6 of the 8 balls in the final game. Mind you, not together, but 1 at a time:D So they took down the cash. White should have reined in Kirkus in better and coached him to play safer shots according to his ability.

Greg

I t sounds like it was a very harrowing and frightening drive to say the least. I get nervous if I'm like driving up to Harrahs in NC through the mountains at night in the rain and have to go slow arounds the curves. But its nothing compared to what you were going thru. I was sweating the Gentile coaching battle myself late into the morning and chatting with fools and groovin to music and watching tv at the same time. I couldn't see myself sitting in a chair there at the location with nothing to do but look at one slow game like that however. Have fun with your new endeavers. Gentile rules. Kiamko just smoked Cliffs ass.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Just wanted to let everyone know here, that I'm been absent here due to everything I've been up to. I still check in here and there. I'll be back to posting before too long. (And Steve, no.. I'm still onboard here and getting lots of stuff done.. (just need to get settled in a little first)

Greg

Greg,
I somehow missed this post..RBL just told me about it...It may have been a harrowing experience for you, but Flagstaff roads, are like a rancher's driveway, compared to Southern Colorado...:eek:..Be glad I touted you to go that way..;)

Anyway, glad you made it to the great southwest...You'll never shovel snow again... Get down here as soon as you can (4.5 hrs. without a trailer ;)) Arizona is paradise, compared to Vegas, except maybe in July and August. ( then they are about tied)..:eek:

Expert Tourguide Duck

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Greg,
I somehow missed this post..RBL just told me about it.

Expert Tourguide Duck

Oh yeah, you're an expert tour guide all right. Where you gonna instruct him to drive next? Maybe through Death Valley in July? How about a quick trip to the North Pole in December?

Ignore him Greg, he's the most moronic Duck I've ever known (and I've known a few).

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Oh yeah, you're an expert tour guide all right. Where you gonna instruct him to drive next? Maybe through Death Valley in July? How about a quick trip to the North Pole in December?

Dennis

No, I would be infringing on my two favorite guys, if I did that.... That is reserved for Mark Griffin (Vegas in July) and Greg Sullivan (Indiana in the dead of winter) ....:frus

Last edited: