California Billiard Club Winter One Pocket

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Tournament starts Saturday and will be streamed.

I will be in action Friday night around 6pm, trying to raise $$ for a trip to Chicago. Check out the stream at:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/california-streaming

Hey John, You're well on the road for consideration for a "Lifetime in Action" nomination! Wagering now funded by social security and/ or a pension has to be respected.

With the low entry fee and the added dough wouldn't you expect 48 players or so for the Tournament?

Martin

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hey John, You're well on the road for consideration for a "Lifetime in Action" nomination! Wagering now funded by social security and/ or a pension has to be respected.

With the low entry fee and the added dough wouldn't you expect 48 players or so for the Tournament?

Martin

You would think so Martin, but you never know up here. Delbert Wong at Family Billiards used to add thousands to an annual one pocket and 9 ball Memorial Tournament and gave it up because of the low attendance.

We had 50+ at the Markulis Memorial at Hard Times in Sacramento with a $50 entry fee and you had to get by Busty, Efren, Alcano and Santos. This field should be softer than that so I hope we get a bunch.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I am going to take a trip to Red Shoes in Chicago after the first of the year for a match.

It can all be seen how JR Hendy is playing on Ustream, Friday night, Saturday, Sunday.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/california-streaming

There's someone better at one pocket than John?

Tournament starts Saturday and will be streamed.

I will be in action Friday night around 6pm, trying to raise $$ for a trip to Chicago.

The Ghost has got a big one on his line...:heh :D ------>

Attachments

• ghost fishing 1.jpg
    ghost fishing 1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
With the low entry fee and the added dough wouldn't you expect 48 players or so for the Tournament? Martin
jrhendy said:
You would think so Martin, but you never know up here. Delbert Wong at Family Billiards used to add thousands to an annual one pocket and 9 ball Memorial Tournament and gave it up because of the low attendance.

We had 50+ at the Markulis Memorial at Hard Times in Sacramento with a $50 entry fee and you had to get by Busty, Efren, Alcano and Santos. This field should be softer than that so I hope we get a bunch.
This subject was something that I could never quite figure out when I lived in California: low tournament attendance. My guess was that since there were so many events available in the S.F./Peninsula and L.A. areas (seems like there were events every night of the week) that guys just didn't get excited about tournies any longer. In other words players became spoiled.;)

Therefore, to attract participants, the owners would keep the entry fees low, which of course affected the payouts. So it's become a bit of a vicious cycle. Then the lesser players would pick smaller events where they'd get a better bang for their buck in terms of a possible top 8 finish or so.

But there still aren't all that many 1P tournaments. There are more 1P players in Calif. these days, but probably not enough to have lots of events. Still, a quality 1P tournament with only a $50 entry ought to fill up in an hour!:cool:

Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Theres so...

Theres so...

....much action in CA. guys get sidetracked.Most other states its the only game in town....

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Now streaming the match between John and Al. It took awhile. Now the sound next. Let me know how the sound is.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Has someone posted the results of the onepocket tourney there yet?

Billy Palmer won it. I barely snuck in the $$, but was in action every night and had a great time. First paid $800. Not bad for a $40 entry fee. I will try and find out the rest of the info.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
Billy Palmer won it. I barely snuck in the $$, but was in action every night and had a great time. First paid $800. Not bad for a $40 entry fee. I will try and find out the rest of the info.

Deo has a picture on his facebook page showing the following:
1st: $800 (Billy Palmer)
2nd: $500 (Deo Alpajora)
3rd: $350 (Etan Mizrahi)
4th: $250 (I think Eric Krause)
5-6th: $150 (?)
7-8th: $100 (?)
9-12th: $50 (?)

I'm pretty sure the following got in the money:
John Henderson, Reid Stensrud, Diego Vidal, Rick Bryck (I think its the same as Martin Brick)