"Strawberry" Brooks vs. Cliff Joyner 1995 Roanoke

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm with that sober Duck. I will never be very comfortable at this table until the 13 ball has been knocked away, and here's a chance to do it.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Strawberry did shoot the 9 into the 7 but the 7 hit the rail before it hit the 1 and caromed off the 1, back towards the cueball, barely missing a kiss before hitting the stack.

Ignore the 7's red arrow-line turning blue after it hits the 11, I made a mistake and wasn't going to redraw the whole thing.

Strawberry's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left it. Cliff missed the bank on the 5 ball & sold out the 7 ball. I guess it's not good to stay up all night gambling. Brooks ran 4 balls.

Strawberry's Leave.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Strawberry did shoot the 9 into the 7 but the 7 hit the rail before it hit the 1 and caromed off the 1, back towards the cueball, barely missing a kiss before hitting the stack.

Ignore the 7's red arrow-line turning blue after it hits the 11, I made a mistake and wasn't going to redraw the whole thing.

View attachment 2058

Here's how he left it. Cliff missed the bank on the 5 ball & sold out the 7 ball. I guess it's not good to stay up all night gambling. Brooks ran 4 balls.

View attachment 2059
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic, and there ain't no cure, trust me, i'm a doctor."
:D :p :D :p :D

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dr I.

Dr I.

wincardona said:
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic, and there ain't no cure, trust me, i'm a doctor."
:D :p :D :p

Billy I.
There's something to it when a One Pocket Hall Of Famer shoots a shot that you also would shoot, especially with good results. Imagine that. After all it's all about imagination.;)

For those of you that didn't jump ship when I offered my antidote for the break, I will continue to give you the best service as always, in spite of those who didn't like my prescription.

Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
play cue ball

play cue ball

wincardona said:
:D :p :D

Billy I.
If the cue ball would of ended up closer to the middle dia. on the side rail this shot would of been much more effective. As long as this choice was executed with a good cue ball there really wasn't much if anything that could of gone wrong.:cool: But a lot that could have gone right.:D

The key to this shot like most shots is THE CUE BALL.
Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
wincardona said:
If the cue ball would of ended up closer to the middle dia. on the side rail this shot would of been much more effective. As long as this choice was executed with a good cue ball there really wasn't much if anything that could of gone wrong.:cool: But a lot that could have gone right.:D

The key to this shot like most shots is THE CUE BALL.
Billy I.
Nice call doctor, I put your shot up on post #18 and the only difference was that the nine ball took out the 5 ball instead of the 13.

You talk about cue ball control being the most important thing in your shot, in which I agree. But in your initial post you mention that to get it there you would "force follow" the cue ball to the desired location. I'm sure we all knew what you meant, but is this the correct term for getting the cue ball there?

I take it that force follow is hit with a very strong stroke to get maximum top spin on the cue ball. But in essence what is needed here is a firm hit with just a small residue of top spin. For me it's strictly a feel shot to float the cue ball to that desired location.

In one pocket we use this technique a lot but it's not an easy thing to explain. What is the correct term used to explain this technique?

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank Almanza said:
Nice call doctor, I put your shot up on post #18 and the only difference was that the nine ball took out the 5 ball instead of the 13.

You talk about cue ball control being the most important thing in your shot, in which I agree. But in your initial post you mention that to get it there you would "force follow" the cue ball to the desired location. I'm sure we all knew what you meant, but is this the correct term for getting the cue ball there?

I take it that force follow is hit with a very strong stroke to get maximum top spin on the cue ball. But in essence what is needed here is a firm hit with just a small residue of top spin. For me it's strictly a feel shot to float the cue ball to that desired location.

In one pocket we use this technique a lot but it's not an easy thing to explain. What is the correct term used to explain this technique?
Look below.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank Almanza said:

Frank, i've always referred to the type of stroke we are talking about as a force follow stroke, maybe someone can correct me on my terminology. I just assumed that it wasn't a natural follow but a forced follow.

In reference to the shot we were discussing as long as you took good care of the cue ball, and the carom was laying favorably for positive action, i'd say that that was a pretty good answer for the break.:D With this shot, as long as it was laying reasonably well, the results were going to be good or super good.

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frankalmanza said:
For me it's strictly a feel shot to float the cue ball to that desired location.
What is the correct term used to explain this technique?

wincardona said:
Frank, i've always referred to the type of stroke we are talking about as a force follow stroke, maybe someone can correct me on my terminology. I just assumed that it wasn't a natural follow but a forced follow.

Billy I.

I shoot down on the CB and firmer and the balls move.Then the CB floats forward at a slower speed. I agree with both of you. I've also always called this force follow.;)
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Frank Almanza said:
I'm sure we all knew what you meant, but is this the correct term for getting the cue ball there?

Frank....I don't think there's an 'official term' for this type of stroke's 'directing' of the cueball - but I have my own term for it...

What I call what we're doing to the cueball with this stroke, and the term I use with students to describe this cueball action when I give a lesson, is...

To stun-forward...

Just like with the stun strokes/shots that are straight in, where we cheat the pocket a hair, and shoot hard-firm to stun sideways...that's why I transfer that stun term over to the shot we're talking about and call it, to 'stun forward' or 'stun follow'.

- Ghost

PS, To me, unlike the stroke in the shot that we're discussing, the term force-follow, in pool and in 3cushion, has always meant to follow straight through the object ball with a great amount of follow - enough to sometimes travel 1-2 table lengths...in 3cushion there are many shots called force-follow shots, and they are all shots where the cueball has a ton of follow generated in the stroke.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Force-follow? Stun-forward? I've always called this shot the "shoot it so the cueball rolls a little forward after contact" shot, but that's just me:D .

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Force-follow? Stun-forward? I've always called this shot the "shoot it so the cueball rolls a little forward after contact" shot, but that's just me:D .

I like the sound of it "Simple but elegant" :p :D
Rod.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I remember from watching a Robert Byrne's video he called it a "Stun, Run through shot"

Similar to the ghost I think of it as a stun follow shot.

Dud

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
I like the sound of it "Simple but elegant" :p :D
Rod.

It is also "extremely verbose, and seminally sculpatory"...(but mostly it's just stupid)...:rolleyes: :p

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
to me force follow is extreme follow
the type that in straight pool would drive throught the stack
the kind that after hitting the object bal and the rail would rebound and come back into the rail
the kind that would hesitate and drive foward as if turbo charged
the center ball hit with a touch of follow where you can smash the object ball but the cue ball sort of dribbles foward i guess you could call stun follow
when i first learned about center ball playing instead of spinning the rock on every shot(9ball) i was amazed at how players could drill balls into the hole and have the q ball dribble over for perfect shape for the next shot
much better way to play
imho
dont know if you guys agree less spin is better unless absolutely neccessary

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Dudley said:
Similar to the ghost I think of it as a stun follow shot.

Dud

Dud, thank you....Always nice to see a serious intelligent answer for a change...instead of just juvenile replies by super-seniors (70+)...:rolleyes:

lll said:
to me force follow is extreme follow
the type that in straight pool would drive throught the stack
the kind that after hitting the object ball and the rail would rebound and come back into the rail
the kind that would hesitate and drive foward as if turbo charged
the center ball hit with a touch of follow where you can smash the object ball but the cue ball sort of dribbles foward i guess you could call stun follow

Larry....instead of writing all of this, you could have just said...

"Yeah, what Ghost said"

- Ghost...:rolleyes:

markgriffin

Verified Member
stun follow

stun follow

Although not as proficient as all of you 'older seasoned one pocket players' -
i also have referred to that shot as "stun follow" - because that is what you are doing.

It is basically a stop shot with a 'not so firm' hit. (If that does not confuse you , nothing will).

At least that is what we called it in Alaska!

Mark Griffin