What Do You Do?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Player A approaches Player B to play a set, race to three for $50. Player A says OK and proceeds to win. Player B unscrews.

A few days later the same things happens: Player B shows up, Player A wins the race to three for $50, Player B quits. A few days later it happens again the same way -- one set for $50, Player A wins, Player B quits.

So a few days later Player B shows up again, asks for weight and Player A obliges. If Player A loses does he quit after one set?

Lou Figueroa

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Player A approaches Player B to play a set, race to three for $50. Player A says OK and proceeds to win. Player B unscrews.

A few days later the same things happens: Player B shows up, Player A wins the race to three for $50, Player B quits. A few days later it happens again the same way -- one set for $50, Player A wins, Player B quits.

So a few days later Player B shows up again, asks for weight and Player A obliges. If Player A loses does he quit after one set?

Lou Figueroa

Only if he wants to.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Player A is giving B odds on the $$ if he loses and plays more than one set. I would ask player B to post two or three sets if I now had to give him weight.

beatle

Verified Member
you continue if you think you have the best of it. simple as that. and quit when you think you may not.

another reason for quitting after one set after giving weight is that next time you can argue to play even again.

but the guy lost three sets before he asked for weight. what is wrong with that.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Player A is giving B odds on the $$ if he loses and plays more than one set. I would ask player B to post two or three sets if I now had to give him weight.

As you say, John, giving up odds on the money is the issue. And it's kind of a drag to keep getting one barrel fired at you.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
you continue if you think you have the best of it. simple as that. and quit when you think you may not.

another reason for quitting after one set after giving weight is that next time you can argue to play even again.

but the guy lost three sets before he asked for weight. what is wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with anything. I was curious about what others thought of the situation and how they'd proceed.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What Do You Do?

Often I only want to play one set. So if I am asked to play or doing the asking, I would say one set. People often selectively hear that kind of thing though lol. But the fact that it was actually three sets spread out over x days before the weight request came in, to me is different from a guy quitting after just one set anyway. But considering if I have the advantage I might be amenable anyway. Regular customer and all...

unoperro

Verified Member
When player B asks for weight
Did he ask for what he wants? Did he ask for what he needs?
Can you tell the differance?

u12armresl

Verified Member
I think I'd probably be done with that game.

Maybe talking to them and seeing what the reasoning is (if money is no issue, if there is an argument, extra people show up and the games are slowed down, etc.)

Nothing wrong with anything. I was curious about what others thought of the situation and how they'd proceed.

Lou Figueroa

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
To offer an intelligent answer one needs to know more about the players. Do they have a history playing one another? Were the wins by player A lopsided? Was the win by player B close? And finally, is player A a nit.

Dr. Bill

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Often I only want to play one set. So if I am asked to play or doing the asking, I would say one set. People often selectively hear that kind of thing though lol. But the fact that it was actually three sets spread out over x days before the weight request came in, to me is different from a guy quitting after just one set anyway. But considering if I have the advantage I might be amenable anyway. Regular customer and all...

Steve, I think that's different. I usually have to leave the PR at a certain time and will always try to remember to tell my opponent: I have to leave at ____.

This scenario is different because the sets take 30-40 minutes. Both players play aggressively and there have been, to date, few drawn out defensive battles. So there is always this feeling of a one barrel shot.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
When player B asks for weight
Did he ask for what he wants? Did he ask for what he needs?
Can you tell the differance?

Player B asked for 9-7 and was offered 8-7, from playing even. For races to three (and the one barrel shots) I thought this was equitable.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I think I'd probably be done with that game.

Maybe talking to them and seeing what the reasoning is (if money is no issue, if there is an argument, extra people show up and the games are slowed down, etc.)

You can never tell for sure but my feeling is that it's a money thing. Player B is playing on short money and taking a one barrel shot.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
To offer an intelligent answer one needs to know more about the players. Do they have a history playing one another? Were the wins by player A lopsided? Was the win by player B close? And finally, is player A a nit.

Dr. Bill

The players have never played before. The races ended up like 3-1 and either player could have won the sets (duh, races to three). Player A matches up tight but is not a nit.

Lou Figueroa

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Lou Figueroa

1. To be clear, is "he" in the bolded sentence Player A? In that case, Player A gave weight, lost, and didn't like it. Seem ok to quit.

2. Since this is a WWYD, whether I was A or B, I would find something of more significance than a $50 set to worry about. Especially so since there was no agreement to freeze anything up or play a specific number of sets (at least, not in the above account).

unoperro

Verified Member
I am going to wait for Onepockethacker to harrass someone in this thread. You know its coming

lfigueroa

Verified Member
1. To be clear, is "he" in the bolded sentence Player A? In that case, Player A gave weight, lost, and didn't like it. Seem ok to quit.

2. Since this is a WWYD, whether I was A or B, I would find something of more significance than a $50 set to worry about. Especially so since there was no agreement to freeze anything up or play a specific number of sets (at least, not in the above account).

Player A has offered the the one ball spot BUT has not played that way yet.

My question was: IF Player A loses -- after all the one barrel shots -- does he quit?

Forget the dollar #. You can substitute $500 races to three if that will make it more relevant for you.

Lou Figueroa