One Pocket tournament in Norway

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Last weekend the Norwegian Masters in 8-ball was scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, and we decided to put up a One Pocket tournament on Friday evening.

We limited it to maximum 8 players, single elimination, race to 3, 75 $ entry.

The field filled up in no-time, and several more players had wanted to join if they knew about it earlier. Looks like more and more players atleast know about this game now, here in Norway.

I played a guy the night before, and we played 18 games. I won 6 of them, and of the 12 games he won he ran 8 and out on 6 of them...

The next day I met him in the first round in the tournament, and I won 3-0 in 12 minutes, before the players on the other table had pocketed 2 balls :D

In the next round (semifinal) I played another 100-ball runner in 14-1, and Norwegian Champion in 9-ball. I have played some one-pocket against him before, and I knew I had to play real tight. Succeeded, and won 3-0 within 1 hour.

In the final I met a player I knew love the game, but I had never played him before. I played real strong against him, but he punished me on a shot that I dogged. Still ended up winning the final 3-1, and about 300 $.

Looks like there will be another One Pocket tournament in March next year. Then it will not be limited to only 8 players, and it will be double elimination.

It was real fun to learn that more players wanted to play the game.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Wow, what a great story. Wish more international One Pocket tournaments would happen... By the way... you need to come to the Derby City Classic and play... one pocket is a very popular game in the Mid Western USA.

Lots of above average players.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
I know that they have had a one-pocket tournament in Finland too, but don't think there has been tournaments in other European countries...

During Interpool Open (Sweden) last year I did my best in trying to get a one-pocket tournament the evening before, and Marcus Chamat (owner of the hall, promoter) wanted to do it too, but the players we wanted to have in the tournament (Ralf Souquet, Raj Hundal, Marcus etc) were busy with a pro-am thing... Oh well... maybe next year :)

I know that some of the players from Netherland play it, though. Just recently Alex Lely beat Niels Feijen 7-5 in a challenge match in Amsterdam.

Some European players that enjoys the game:

Niels Feijen, Alex Lely, Huidji See, Vincent Faquet, Darren Appleton, Imran Majid, Marcus Chamat and Fabio Petroni. Probably lots more, but I know that these guys like the game.

Talked with Niels about doing a one-pocket/10-ball tournament in Holland, and we might get that going during 2009...

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Wow, what a great story. Wish more international One Pocket tournaments would happen... By the way... you need to come to the Derby City Classic and play... one pocket is a very popular game in the Mid Western USA.

Lots of above average players.

I would LOVE to join the DCC, but it's soooo expensive... I am living at the other end of the world, and if I have some extra money I normally prefer going to the Philippines :)

I am however doing my best trying to make it this time... Will know in few days...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Too many eight and outs !

Too many eight and outs !

Roy Steffensen said:
The next day I met him in the first round in the tournament, and I won 3-0 in 12 minutes, before the players on the other table had pocketed 2 balls :D

In the next round (semifinal) I played another 100-ball runner in 14-1, and Norwegian Champion in 9-ball. I have played some one-pocket against him before, and I knew I had to play real tight. Succeeded, and won 3-0 within 1 hour.

Roy........The problem for you guys is that you all shoot too straight - you guys are running out so much that you don't have time to learn all of the safeties and strategies of the game...:)....

So the answer is, the format of One Pocket game that you guys need to start playing some of the time, is, 3 and safe - then you'll be forced to do a lot of moving, and play a lot of safeties....;)

- Ghost

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Roy........The problem for you guys is that you all shoot too straight - you guys are running out so much that you don't have time to learn all of the safeties and strategies of the game...:)....

So the answer is, the format of One Pocket game that you guys need to start playing some of the time, is, 3 and safe - then you'll be forced to do a lot of moving, and play a lot of safeties....;)

- Ghost

Yeah, I know. I beat the guy 3-0 in 12 minutes because he was too "trigger happy", and went for combinations, trickshots or things normal people would never try. The day before he succeeded against me, with six 8 and outs, but in the tournament he failed, and I think he felt stupid after the match :p

I don't want to rush the other guys to play more safeties, with forcing them to play 3 and safe. I want them to have fun while playing, and then learn it the hard way. I am not as good as them in 14-1 or 9-ball, but I am capable of giving many of them handicap in one-pocket. After they've lost a couple of times, they will realise that pocketingskills isn't the only tool in this game.

Deeman

Verified Member
Roy,

If you do make Derby City, please come by the AZ Room and introduce yourself. You will meet many fine individuals who love this game. Congratulations on your success.

DeeMan

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Roy Steffensen said:
Yeah, I know. I beat the guy 3-0 in 12 minutes because he was too "trigger happy", and went for combinations, trickshots or things normal people would never try. The day before he succeeded against me, with six 8 and outs, but in the tournament he failed, and I think he felt stupid after the match :p

I don't want to rush the other guys to play more safeties, with forcing them to play 3 and safe. I want them to have fun while playing, and then learn it the hard way. I am not as good as them in 14-1 or 9-ball, but I am capable of giving many of them handicap in one-pocket. After they've lost a couple of times, they will realise that pocketingskills isn't the only tool in this game.

Roy,

Kudos on your success in 1P. You sound like you are trying to spread the word, in Europe, about our favorite game.
If you make it to the DCC, I would suggest that you play a few games with the Ghost. You will either be, (A) impressed with his skill, or (B) fall asleep waiting for him to go for anything besides a hanger.
Then you can play a few games with John H, or Deeman, and learn how most "normal" people play the game. ;)
Either way, you will be amazed at all the different approaches to the great game of one pocket.

Regards,

White Flag Shooter Dick

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Roy,

Kudos on your success in 1P. You sound like you are trying to spread the word, in Europe, about our favorite game.
If you make it to the DCC, I would suggest that you play a few games with the Ghost. You will either be, (A) impressed with his skill, or (B) fall asleep waiting for him to go for anything besides a hanger.
Then you can play a few games with John H, or Deeman, and learn how most "normal" people play the game. ;)
Either way, you will be amazed at all the different approaches to the great game of one pocket.

Regards,

White Flag Shooter Dick

If I manage to go to DCC, I will play anyone willing to teach an amateur from Norway!

I have played the game a couple of times against some good players, but haven't played it against an American yet... :( Tried to play Rodney Morris, but he said he didn't play the game and only wanted to play 9-ball...

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Roy Steffensen said:
If I manage to go to DCC, I will play anyone willing to teach an amateur from Norway!

I have played the game a couple of times against some good players, but haven't played it against an American yet... :( Tried to play Rodney Morris, but he said he didn't play the game and only wanted to play 9-ball...

Roy,

If you are just learning the game, I suggest you pick softer targets than Rodney or Corey. People who rarely miss, can take all the fun out of the game, right Ghost ? :eek: Just a thought.

Dick

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Roy,

If you are just learning the game, I suggest you pick softer targets than Rodney or Corey. People who rarely miss, can take all the fun out of the game, right Ghost ? :eek: Just a thought.

Dick

Thanks, but I kind of like to challenge the big guys ;) Have played quite a few, and enjoy the challenge and I am learning a lot everytime.

Not many players I know play this game, so when I have the chance to play it it is usual against great players. Hard way to learn, but I still think it's fun, and the best game there is :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Roy Steffensen said:
Thanks, but I kind of like to challenge the big guys ;) Have played quite a few, and enjoy the challenge and I am learning a lot everytime.

Not many players I know play this game, so when I have the chance to play it it is usual against great players. Hard way to learn, but I still think it's fun, and the best game there is :)

Great attitude Roy, good luck to you in helping promote our game abroad.

Dick

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Roy, If you ever get to San Antonio, I will teach you a little about matching up. Such as the pick. :) I enjoy that part of the game[matching up] however, sometimes I dog it just doing that. I think I am going to become a pro. railbird. I seem to never miss from there.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
TWO PICKS said:
Roy, If you ever get to San Antonio, I will teach you a little about matching up. Such as the pick. :) I enjoy that part of the game[matching up] however, sometimes I dog it just doing that. I think I am going to become a pro. railbird. I seem to never miss from there.

Two Picks,

Don't hang it up yet. You probably forgot more about one hole, than most people could ever learn. Too bad our buddy Rod did not fare well in the HOF this year....maybe next year.

Dick <-------loved Bananas. ;)