Your opinion of these shots?

Skin

Verified Member
Recently, the guys around here who play 1p regularly have become fixated on off-the-point shots like the one below. I don't think they have "discovered" the one on p. 2 yet, or at least I haven't seen anybody play it.

Can I get some opinions on these types of shots? Personally, I think they are too risky because there is only about one way for them to turn out good but about a half-dozen ways for them to turn out bad. Are they worth practicing anyway, though?

Thanks for your comments.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AVGq4PQrB4UVGq1UblN3UYOR4kQrB4kUiI@4AVtj2PKMu4UVtj4UbSU3UYGc2kKMu4kThb4kSbm2kYRk@[/CUETABLE]

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'll go first. The first shot I might try, at pocket speed, only if I could cross the one ball and get the cue ball out of the way. In other words, not from the position you show on the WEI table.

The second one I would never try. Look where you leave the cue ball. All possible results, except the perfect one shown, would be bad news. You're not in trouble. Don't get in trouble.

For me - no, I don't think they are worth practicing. :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Recently, the guys around here who play 1p regularly have become fixated on off-the-point shots like the one below. I don't think they have "discovered" the one on p. 2 yet, or at least I haven't seen anybody play it.

Can I get some opinions on these types of shots? Personally, I think they are too risky because there is only about one way for them to turn out good but about a half-dozen ways for them to turn out bad. Are they worth practicing anyway, though?

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AVGq4PQrB4UVGq1UblN3UYOR4kQrB4kUiI@4AVtj2PKMu4UVtj4UbSU3UYGc2kKMu4kThb4kSbm2kYRk@[/CUETABLE]

You're right they're very iffy, although I've seen the second one made on purpose a few times. As far as I'm concerned the first shot is not very good if it's the last ball, otherwise maybe if you can hide the OB if you miss, it might be okay but not from how it's shown in your diagram. My diagram is about the second shot, more likely it'll end up like page #2
Rod.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AUWk4PHbP4UUWk4UcAR3UUfb4kHbP4kTAf4kSCp3kavs1kQMq@4AUWk4PHbP4UUWk4UchA2UaBQ4kHbP4kTYh4kRtr3kcCw1kKSC@[/CUETABLE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:

Skin

THe one ball is a naural two rail bank.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Skin, I do practice the first shot you ask about. But I also practice making it to both pockets. Lots of time you will end up with a ball in the jaws of that side pocket and it a very good shot to know. The second shot , I don't play that shot from that angle too easy 3rail that one. However , if the CB was down on the same rail as the object ball. that is a good shot. You just cut the ball to the near point and it will hit the opposite point and come back across. Both are worth the time to practice.---Smitty

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I need to make something clear here. From the way the object ball is sitting on the first shot, I would not shoot that ball off the point. I would do like Artie says and 2 rail that shot. I was talking about balls being in the jaws of the side pocket or about a inch off the rail in the middle of the pocket.--Smitty

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
skin i think to spend alittle time to practice them in case you really need to shoot it if it comes up is ok (and i mean very little time) BUT, if you are like me there are MANY other things to practice that will come up regularly

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't have a lot of confidence in these off-the-point shots. But, I have used the shot off the side pocket every once in a while to get a ball near my pocket -- but not on a wide open table with only one ball as drawn. Only if there was other traffic and blockers that would preclude the highly likely return bank...

"preclude" --> one of Billy I's special commentary words, right?

beatle

Verified Member
there are a bunch of shots where you do hit an offensive shot when he has a ball in his pocket. where as most just try to get it out. some of those can even bring it to yours.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Beard shows the way

The Beard shows the way

Both these shots, and variations of such, plus how to make them, are shown graphically in my DVD, Banks That Dont Go -- But Do.

Beard

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
You're right they're very iffy, although I've seen the second one made on purpose a few times. As far as I'm concerned the first shot is not very good if it's the last ball, otherwise maybe if you can hide the OB if you miss, it might be okay but not from how it's shown in your diagram. My diagram is about the second shot, more likely it'll end up like page #2
Rod.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AUWk4PHbP4UUWk4UcAR3UUfb4kHbP4kTAf4kSCp3kavs1kQMq@4AUWk4PHbP4UUWk4UchA2UaBQ4kHbP4kTYh4kRtr3kcCw1kKSC@[/CUETABLE]

Rod, besides sinking the ball in the guy's hole, here is one of the more common outcomes I've gotten with that shot when I've fooled around with it. :eek:

I like the shot - when it works! But I really detest it when it doesn't, which is 9 out of 10 times for me. :D

I think I am better off spending my limited practice time where I need it most - multi-rail kicks and those wonderful carom kicks that Billy introduced here a while back. Thanks to you and everyboy else for the input.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AWCj2PKMu4UWCj4UbjR4UXYm4UYfU2kKMu4kTxV4kRdl2kaPI@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:

Skin
Skin, Here's one on which you should take a few practice shots. When the CB 9 ball are frozen or very close, your target is the A symbol (point of the rail at the bevel )forget the 9 ball. it can be made more often than you would think, but the beauty is if not, it's going back into the stack sending balls your way.
Rod.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbFR4BFCA3CEDm4DWJm4EFjh3FDXe4GCYx4HAMA3INEl2JSSa4KLWa3LBbR3MFSL4NVRc3OBJl3PFMk3QeMR3pima3kFMk3kLYi2kbVb2kXdw4uAAS@[/CUETABLE]