alpodog introduction

alpodog

Verified Member
I joined one pocket.org 8 or so years ago but never really became active. So I hope to become more active, talking about this game that I fell in love with 15 or so years ago. I think I would have quit playing pool if I hadn't discovered one pocket. I'm 64 now and my love for the game grows with every year and every new shot I learn. Thank you Steve Booth for putting this site together, I will try to support and get involved as much as possible. I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, moved to Santa Cruz, Ca. in 1980. Became a guitar builder and in 1984 I opened a music store, 34 years later, my store has become bigger and better then ever. Success has allowed me more time to play pool. The future of my pool game looks promising.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
welcome to the site
could you tell alittle more about the guitars you build ?
i used to play classical guitar and dabbled in other genres(seems to be the new millennial way to say styles...:D )
i know there are several other members that play guitar
back to onepocket
i look forward to your posts.....:)
larry

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Nice to see you on here Al. Sorry we did not get to play at CA Billiards, but the golf game was just too tempting.

Henry

Verified Member
Well Al it is always good to hear from another old pool hustler. Welcome

alpodog

Verified Member
welcome to the site
could you tell alittle more about the guitars you build ?
i used to play classical guitar and dabbled in other genres(seems to be the new millennial way to say styles...:D )
i know there are several other members that play guitar
back to onepocket
i look forward to your posts.....:)
larry
I was an entertainer, soloist, folky music. I had close to a 500 song repertoire, played in coffee houses and pubs. When I came to santa Cruz, met a few folks and one directed me to a luthier. I built a classical guitar and a steel string dreadnought with him, then went on my own. The rest is history, I own Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, Ca. Check out the website for more info.

alpodog

Verified Member
Welcome Al! Nice to see you come out of the dog house to participate.

Dave Gross

I guess it's time, sorry I missed you at the one pocket.org tourney. Hope all is well in Colorado, is that where your at?

alpodog

Verified Member
Welcome to the site!

I also would like to hear about the guitars you build. :)

What would you like to know, it's been my life for the last 50 years. Ckeck out the website, Sylvan Music. Ask me anything, I'm a musician, luthier, and store owner.

alpodog

Verified Member
Nice to see you on here Al. Sorry we did not get to play at CA Billiards, but the golf game was just too tempting.
You enjoy yourself on that snooker table, I don't need to loose any more to you. I think I would learn to love that game if I took the time to study it, but life is short and I have my hands full with one pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Al
I went to your website
you have some beautiful guitars in your store
including the ones you made....:)
i think you will find this story interesting
i have a martin D35 (sort of)
in the late 1970's or 1980/81 i had a good friend
who loved martin guitars
i lived in new jersey and he would go to pennsylvania to the martin factory so he could play all different models all day
well one day he found this martin "kit"
it was half finished
i guess the wood or something wasnt good enough for them to finish it and put the logo on it (you can see in the pic of the head no logo )
so he bought it and made it for me
you can see inside the sound hole where he wrote
J H #1 for Larry
here are some pics of the guitar
i know this thread is YOUR introduction but i thought you would like this story
martin for larry full front view.jpg

martin for larry back.jpg

martin for larry head piece.jpg

martin for larry 1.jpg