Cue balls?

John Brumback

Verified Member
I know this is something you would see over at the other place:p.

I would like to know which is your favorite cball?

I've been using the cyclops just because that's what they use at the dcc. But I hate using it. It seems to hop and skid more than any cue ball I have used. And it seems hard to draw but maybe my stroke is just getting weak.

I'm just looking for some feedback from all the good players here. If you could choose one cball for the rest of your life which one would it be? Thanks in advance. John B.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I know this is something you would see over at the other place:p.

I would like to know which is your favorite cball?

I've been using the cyclops just because that's what they use at the dcc. But I hate using it. It seems to hop and skid more than any cue ball I have used. And it seems hard to draw but maybe my stroke is just getting weak.

I'm just looking for some feedback from all the good players here. If you could choose one cball for the rest of your life which one would it be? Thanks in advance. John B.

Skipper,
Is Cylops the measle ball ? That one wears down fairly fast and then, it's been my experience it's easier to draw than most.
I rarely play with measle.
I always see spots before my eyes. They must be a weak player for me to agree to use it.

From a hacker, (a few rungs below a good player) I prefer the red circle, they wear also but not as fast.
Rod.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Skipper,
Is Cylops the measle ball ? That one wears down fairly fast and then, it's been my experience it's easier to draw than most.
I rarely play with measle.
I always see spots before my eyes. They must be a weak player for me to agree to use it.

From a hacker, (a few rungs below a good player) I prefer the red circle, they wear also but not as fast.
Rod.

Little buddy,hell no!:p the cyclops is not the measle. The clycolps is the new cball they have been using at the dcc and other places for a few years.

When they are brand new,you can see into the cball.Like it's clear on the outside. The logo on them is a diamond:)

I use to like the red circle too,then I got used to the measle and that became my fav. Thanks for the input. Enough with the stalling tho,I have the line on you:lol
John the skipper

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I didn't care for the Cyclops pool balls, but I only used them for about 2 hours. I probably could get used to them, but I doubt that they'll ever catch on. I'm assuming that Diamond got a helluva deal on them.;)

I like the measles ball, but don't use it. My normal CB is the regular Super Aramith. I can "work" either of those cueballs. To my taste the red circle is overrated. To me it's not as responsive as is the Aramith ball.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i use the measles ball primarily
have had no problems with it
i have no experience with the cyclops ball
the red circle and aramith balls seem to "float" more around the table to me
its hard to explain

bstroud

Verified Member
John,

I practice with the measle ball and the red circle. I have the Cyclop set but have not used the cue ball because most people play with the others.

I find the red circle easier to use for 10 ball because it is easier to move.

I keep forgetting to tell you about a proposition that Taylor had me practice.

Put a ball on the second diamond on the side rail and with ball in hand in the Kitchen, bank the bake into all six pockets in succesion.

Taylor was about even money. He drove me crazy.

Bill S.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
One local place here got all cyclops balls. Skid like crazy. Red circle is my preferred cue ball. FYI Buddy prefers the measle. Says the red circle is too light.

John Brumback

Verified Member
One local place here got all cyclops balls. Skid like crazy. Red circle is my preferred cue ball. FYI Buddy prefers the measle. Says the red circle is too light.

Thanks!! Yeah that ol Buddy Hall knows a thing or two about cue balls:lol I'm glad to know that he likes the measle ball too. John B.

MisterBanker

Verified Member
I keep forgetting to tell you about a proposition that Taylor had me practice.

Put a ball on the second diamond on the side rail and with ball in hand in the Kitchen, bank the bake into all six pockets in succesion.

Taylor was about even money. He drove me crazy.

Bill S.

Now that's something I'm gonna practice this weekend.

I preferred the blue dot Aramith ball to the red circles, but then everyone pretty much started using the red circles and that's what I got used to.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
My fav has always been the blue circles that come with a set of centennials. They seem to play true to me, especially when new. Some of the older red circles will practically fly backwards on a stop shot.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
I've always preferred the cue ball that came with the set.
It is the best match to the object balls composition.
I feel that makes it more predictable.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I mostly play with the red circle, I like the measle ball but don't get a chance to use it very often. The cyclop cb is junk IMO, it skids a lot and to me it's hard to move.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I like all of em, tho haven't used the measles ball. Red circle for 9 ball, blue circle for straight pool, aramith/red circle for the box and pretty much any ball set that has matched weight cue ball is fine also.

Centennial ball set for 14.1.

The Cyclops/anything is too nebulous of a cue ball, and Very difficult for old eyes to pick out a specific spot to aim at on the object ball, dumb. Why would anyone make a ball set that picks up outside light :frus

Bobbytworails

Verified Member
Cyclops plays pretty close to the blue circle.
The red circle is slightly lighter and easy to move around and draw
The Blue Circle was the most played ball during th 60;s, 70's and 80's for sure (slightly heavier than the red circle)
The Red dot and blu dot were cheaper versions
The Measle ball to me is like a brick and terrible especially for one pocket. Too clumsy and the finer things are very tough to do with it plus many times on a long shot that you roll softly it will continue on and you'll scratch!
My humble opinion is the red circle #1 and Blue circle #2 with the cyclops pretty close behind . I have miced and weighed very ball discussed. The Measle Ball is also slightly larger than all the rest.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
It's fascinating that there are so many opinions on cue balls that are, with exceptions for the Cyclops ball and the imitations of first quality cue balls, made by the same manufacturer. Aramith manufacturers virtually all of the balls discussed--including the Centennial, of the same materials, to the same specs, and to the same quality standards. I contacted Aramith a few years ago and confirmed that all of the top flight balls that they manufacture are at least intended to be identical*, the only variation being color markings or the spots on the measles ball. My guess is and has been that quality control variations between balls and psychological variations between users combined with a comparatively small sampling gives the impression of some consistent variables in the balls. Or Aramith deviated from the truth. Somebody might want to ask them again.

*Cue balls made specifically for bar tables are also an exception.