modern one pocket ???

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in my previous thread of alex /efren
rob said this
Is this match from 2 years ago Larry? If it is Efren had Alex dead ****ed 3 games in a row and Alex winged something in and ran out.. I have never seen Efren with such a pissed off face after this match.. He had Alex in DEEP shit every game.

this is 2015 dcc where alex was running 8 and out from everywhere...:eek:
here is a pic from game 2
it was alex's break
efren started to turn the break around on his first shot
by banking a ball in his pocket and 4 railing (long/short/long/short danny di's shot but by banking a ball too) and geting behind alex's balls
after a few moves alex gave efren an opening
efren was on his way to running out when he hung the solid on a cross corner bank
he left alex like this
alex pocket is where he is standing
ball score efren...5 ......alex...0 ......alex up 1 game
questions
1)in the old days how many players would shoot the straight back
vs give efren the ball and go from there???
todays straight shooters arent afraid to go for their hole ..modern onepocket?
alex fired in the straight back and masterfully ran out...:eek::eek:
2) how many of you believe it was the right shot FOR YOU in that situation??

ae6.jpg

unoperro

Verified Member
That appears to be a high % shot with a lot of potential. I would say it is go time.
Perhaps there are better table layouts to emphasis what you are trying to point out. I know in the Paricia thread I posted something to this very effect.

A short time ago there was a wwyd where Efren kicks a ball from behind the stack to near his hole. Cueball is safe. This is early in the game. I posted a carom and run out. I really believe if Efren had left his cueball in the wwyd position,he would have grimaced and then played the carom and run out! Ala,modern 1pkt.:)

John Brumback

Verified Member
rob said this
Is this match from 2 years ago Larry? If it is Efren had Alex dead ****ed 3 games in a row and Alex winged something in and ran out.. I have never seen Efren with such a pissed off face after this match.. He had Alex in DEEP shit every game.

it was alex's break
by banking a ball in his pocket and 4 railing (long/short/long/short danny di's shot but by banking a ball too) and geting behind alex's balls
efren was on his way to running out when he hung the solid on a cross corner bank
he left alex like this
questions

View attachment 14106

Larry I know this doesn't answer the question,but,that bank is probably at least 98% make and to get shape for Alex P. Why would he not shoot it?

The Little fart bought my dvd as soon as it came out too,:lol JB

1pwannabe

Verified Member
The old school 1p rule of thumb is to take more risks when you are far behind, the idea being it's better to lose with at least a chance of winning then slowly die by being out moved.

Read Freddy's post here: Beard about 1p playing the score

That's pretty old school.

rob said this

it was alex's break
he left alex like this
questions

View attachment 14106

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Its hard to tell, but making the ball in Efrens pocket, might not be as easy as it looks at first.
The purple ball, if you use a straight edge , is in the way of hitting the bottom of the ball in the corner, and it is in the way of the cue ball path if you try to hit the top of the ball.
If it is harder to make the ball in the corner, than to make the bank , there is not much thinking necessary.
You have to try to win, or at least make the ball and if you don't have another shot, then make the 6, or take it out. imo

t-dog

Verified Member
The old school 1p rule of thumb is to take more risks when you are far behind, the idea being it's better to lose with at least a chance of winning then slowly die by being out moved.

Read Freddy's post here: Beard about 1p playing the score

That's pretty old school.

Im down 5 (almost 6) to 0 against the best mover and one pocket player ever....dont I have to shoot?

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I would be careful to generalize regardless, I watched Alex that year in the 1P division and he was so confident in every match that he made pretty much everything he swung at. He was playing with the thought "I cannot miss".

When that's rolling for you in ANY game, go with it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i guess i picked a bad example for what i was trying to express...:eek::eek::eek:
you can see if efren makes the bank he is out....but he didnt......:frus
alex passed the "tester" shot once again in game 2....:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in game 3 efren scratched on the break and alex ran out
that was 3 in a row 8 and out....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:......:)

u12armresl

Verified Member
I'm your huckleberry for 100 tries at that for 98% and shape, heck just for the 98 makes.

Larry I know this doesn't answer the question,but,that bank is probably at least 98% make and to get shape for Alex P. Why would he not shoot it?

The Little fart bought my dvd as soon as it came out too,:lol JB

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
rob said this

it was alex's break
he left alex like this
questions

View attachment 14106

Larry, this is a situation where you must shoot, regardless of your skill level. Of course the better players will shoot quicker because of the score, the ball position, and their higher skill level.

If you were the player with the lead what would you want your opponent to shoot, or not shoot.

Reyes made a mistake by allowing Alex at the table with a shot to either get back in the game or possibly win it, i'm sure he knew it when he left it.:( Of course you shoot in the year 1960, or 1970, or 1990, or even 1690, that is if you like to win.:D

Dr. Bill

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
It is one thing to shoot at that bank and make it. It is another thing to get shape and get out out on the back of that bank with a ball hanging in Efren's hole!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Just to be clear, Alex did not run out from here. He ran seven and was shooting for 8 when he jumped up and in doing so, missed the shot. He owed one and Efren won the game next turn. After that Alex took control and played perfect cue ball defense along with exception offense. The thing about the bank, John (Senior One Pocket Champion)and I were talking about it and it was the only shot that he could shoot and get behind the balls he needed to make a run at winning the game.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The modern one pocket you may be refering too has been played since Ronnie Allen at Johnston City. Get a shot and run out. Cliff Joyner is an excellent example of the "New" one pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Just to be clear, Alex did not run out from here. He ran seven and was shooting for 8 when he jumped up and in doing so, missed the shot. He owed one and Efren won the game next turn. After that Alex took control and played perfect cue ball defense along with exception offense. The thing about the bank, John (Senior One Pocket Champion)and I were talking about it and it was the only shot that he could shoot and get behind the balls he needed to make a run at winning the game.
bill you are correct
i was so impressed with alex and he was running balls from unbeleivable starting situations i got carried away

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, this is a situation where you must shoot, regardless of your skill level. Of course the better players will shoot quicker because of the score, the ball position, and their higher skill level.

If you were the player with the lead what would you want your opponent to shoot, or not shoot.

Reyes made a mistake by allowing Alex at the table with a shot to either get back in the game or possibly win it, i'm sure he knew it when he left it.:( Of course you shoot in the year 1960, or 1970, or 1990, or even 1690, that is if you like to win.:D

Dr. Bill

thanks Dr. Bill for the reply
i was surprised he bet the game on the shot
but i also bet alex wasnt surprised he made it..:D