Speaking of Nick...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
When both were playing their best One Pocket, maybe 20 yrs. ago, approx....if Nick and Buddy were to play a serious One Pocket match - say, a race to 20 games for $10,000...

My $100 side bet is on Nick...who do youse guys like in that game?

- Ghost

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Nick. It seemed he knew the game a bit more. And while Buddy's shotmaking and cue ball are legendary, it would be hard for him to fade Nick's straight pool ball running abilities.

I will say that would be one hell of a match!!!

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Around 2001 I played in a one pocket tournament. It was part of the Sunshine State One pocket tour. It was 4 tournaments although I only played in one. I beat Corey Duell, Nick Varner and Buddy Hall back to back to back to be king of the hill. In the semis Nick and Buddy played race to 4. That match was brutally long and it was 3 to 0 Nick winning and the 4th game Nick got I think a 3 to 1 ball lead and proceeded to put all the balls in his famous wedge formation. After about 15 minutes of bunting and nipping and Buddy having to not only win this game and then the next 3 I guess got to Buddy. Buddy smashed the balls in the wedge sending them everywhere and he ended up losing the game. Nick ended up beating me 4 to 2 in the final. Incidentally Nick won all 4 of those tournaments

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When both were playing their best One Pocket, maybe 20 yrs. ago, approx....if Nick and Buddy were to play a serious One Pocket match - say, a race to 20 games for $10,000...

My $100 side bet is on Nick...who do youse guys like in that game?

- Ghost
It would be a disrespect to either player if I would favor one over the other, that's how close the game would be. So with that said I favor the player that plays the best. ;)

Dr. Bill

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
From
NYC
I'd bet a hundo either way as long as I had a chair with a view of the table to get my marathon sweat on.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Without reading of Rob's experience I thought Nick would have the best of it. I wonder, though, why you would put this up here if Buddy had not won. I think Nick should win 20-16 or better but he is a notoriously slow starter and could blow his 4 game advantage in the first 4 games of the match. Flip a coin. Heads--Nick wins; tails--Buddy loses.