fouls don't count spot

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Okay, I am totally confused with this one...just how much is your fouls don't count spot?

I was playing a nine baller one pocket, spotting 16-6 and a guy tells me he wants to play me and my fouls don't count...

Am I stupid or do I post the 1K, and play him? He is probable 3 balls better than me, but we have never played...

B

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
The "can't do no wrong" can be a tremendous advantage BECAUSE he can hardly ever TRAP YOU but, I would play around with the strategy for a while with a skilled one pocket player until you get a feel WHAT to do and WHEN to do it before posting the cash. GOOD LUCK!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Unless you know what you are doing with that spot you are in a gaff game. Remember, you still need eight balls, and you don't get those eight by taking fouls. To do nothing more than push the cue ball around gains you little. The game is won by positioning the balls advantageously, and that does not happen by taking fouls either. That being said, in the right hands, this handicap can be very powerful but only if it is used sparingly and wisely.

Tom

Oh, and what are you going to do when the game gets down to a point where your opponent needs one ball and has it hanging deep in his pocket? Scratch with it and only one ball comes up...Hummmm?

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
it is worth one to two balls a game depending on you and him.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Most often if it sounds too good it's not good.

Once in awhile tho a ''poolplayer'' with a Huge ego, seen this done successfully and now your his mark because of ''?''....he might go off like a rocket.

Tip Toe, and don't bet low.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
this spot has been around the pool rooms for years and I think have been offered it before long ago and never took it but thinking about it now, it sure seems like it would be a huge spot.

besides the scenario that Tom brought up at the end with 1 ball hanging in his pocket, I would love to be able to push the ball or kick the ball to safe spots whenever i got in trouble.

But also like TW pointed out, you still need 8 balls so maybe it is a bit of a gaff but I will have to try this spot now some day :)

PS - Another spot I did take though was playing a better player than me and he played with a broom stick handle. He didn't run many balls but he out moved me big time and I lost..live and learn!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
instead of trying to get scratches no count see if you can negotiate a hand span on a number of shots during a game. A hand span is a far more potent handicap.

Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Okay, I am totally confused with this one...just how much is your fouls don't count spot?

I was playing a nine baller one pocket, spotting 16-6 and a guy tells me he wants to play me and my fouls don't count...

Am I stupid or do I post the 1K, and play him? He is probable 3 balls better than me, but we have never played...

B

Bille,

Here's a thread from about 6 years ago on the topic if you're interested.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3440

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I know that Freddie used this spot to win a lot of money. He was the one giving it as he had touted it as if it were a gaff game--a mortal lock. He said that anyone getting this spot would think it was worth way more than it actually was. Like Tom said, if you are getting this spot, you still have to make 8 balls. One thing you might try is trading that spot for another like has been said before. Maybe a hand span or I prefer a lower win number for me like 4 or 5 to something. You've got to make it where you can get out more often than he can when you have a shot. If he is better than you, he won't give you a shot as often as you will give him one. Lower winning numbers for you are far more pressure on him than higher winning numbers for him. There are guys I might spot 14 to 8 but there is no way I can keep him from scoring 4 if I give him 10 to 4.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I know that Freddie used this spot to win a lot of money. He was the one giving it as he had touted it as if it were a gaff game--a mortal lock. He said that anyone getting this spot would think it was worth way more than it actually was. Like Tom said, if you are getting this spot, you still have to make 8 balls. One thing you might try is trading that spot for another like has been said before. Maybe a hand span or I prefer a lower win number for me like 4 or 5 to something. You've got to make it where you can get out more often than he can when you have a shot. If he is better than you, he won't give you a shot as often as you will give him one. Lower winning numbers for you are far more pressure on him than higher winning numbers for him. There are guys I might spot 14 to 8 but there is no way I can keep him from scoring 4 if I give him 10 to 4.

petie,

Were you familiar with Cletus and Natural (Brian)?

Dennis

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
If fouls don't count, if you make a ball in your opponent's pocket and follow it in does it count for the opponent because your fouls don't count? I know Tom eluded to this by saying only one ball gets spotted, but does it? If fouls don't count is it a legal shot?

Thanks,
Dave

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
petie,

Dennis

I wouldn't know Cletus if I saw him but have of course heard of him and may have seen him but not known it was him. Brian I knew. I'm busting an artery trying to think of his last name. I saw him play a guy giving him his whole side of the table and robbin' him. I only ever saw him at Cushion and Cue in Oak Park. He used to look and dress real sharp and some people called him Elvis. The last time I saw him he had a real thick untrimmed beard and long hair. He looked like he was on hard times but he may have just been doing that to trap somebody. I have a friend, you might know him, Nick Nickerson from Flint and Lapeer who asked Brian once, "What kind of a spot could you give me where I might have a chance to beat you?" Brian winced and said, "I can't think of one. There is no spot large enough to let you have a chance to win." Maybe you think Nick can't play a little. You would be wrong. Of course I think that neither one of them has any imagination for spots. I think there are spots that would make me a favorite against Efren or Alex or Scott or even you, Dennis.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
petie,

Dennis

I wouldn't know Cletus if I saw him but have of course heard of him and may have seen him but not known it was him. Brian I knew. I'm busting an artery trying to think of his last name. I saw him play a guy giving him his whole side of the table and robbin' him. I only ever saw him at Cushion and Cue in Oak Park. He used to look and dress real sharp and some people called him Elvis. The last time I saw him he had a real thick untrimmed beard and long hair. He looked like he was on hard times but he may have just been doing that to trap somebody. I have a friend, you might know him, Nick Nickerson from Flint and Lapeer who asked Brian once, "What kind of a spot could you give me where I might have a chance to beat you?" Brian winced and said, "I can't think of one. There is no spot large enough to let you have a chance to win." Maybe you think Nick can't play a little. You would be wrong. Of course I think that neither one of them has any imagination for spots. I think there are spots that would make me a favorite against Efren or Alex or Scott or even you, Dennis.

I did not know Nick and I also do not know what you are talking about at the end of your post. I was simply going to tell you a story about them playing each other, that's all.

Brian played O.K..

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I did not know Nick and I also do not know what you are talking about at the end of your post. I was simply going to tell you a story about them playing each other, that's all.

Brian played O.K..

Dennis

Maybe its a different Brian. No offense with what I said at the end of the post. I was simply emphasizing how strong Brian (the one I knew) was. The whole thing about being able to come up with a spot against anybody was just gratuitous on my part. Yes, I'd love to hear the story. Also, do you remember the last name of the Brian you are talking about and did he hang out at the Cushion and Cue, Ray Abram's place?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Maybe its a different Brian. No offense with what I said at the end of the post. I was simply emphasizing how strong Brian (the one I knew) was. The whole thing about being able to come up with a spot against anybody was just gratuitous on my part. Yes, I'd love to hear the story. Also, do you remember the last name of the Brian you are talking about and did he hang out at the Cushion and Cue, Ray Abram's place?

I'm sure there was only one "Natural" named Brian around here and I'm sure it's the same guy, why would you think not?

Yes, he hung around all the poolrooms in this area just like we all did, including the Cushion & Cue's.

I do not know his last name and probably never did.

Dennis