Houston

warrenr

Verified Member
Robert and I are headed to the Houston tournament we will be there in and hour. Can’t wait to visit with all the players. Raining all the way from Weatherford to Houston. Should be their by 2:00pm.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Robert and I are headed to the Houston tournament we will be there in and hour. Can’t wait to visit with all the players. Raining all the way from Weatherford to Houston. Should be their by 2:00pm.

Have a safe trip and have some fun!

I look forward to playing some with you again some day to pick up where we left off in Chicago! :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I'll see you young whipper-snappers tomorrow afternoon. :)

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Warren... you were one of the coolest dudes I met in Memphis.
I hope you are singing and having a blast.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Enjoy the ride! Looking forward to hearing how it went...I hope you all have your best play for the tournament.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I spoke with the Colonel yesterday and I am exploring the option of flying down tomorrow night to hang out for the weekend. It would be easier if the Pilot flew up to get me!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Spent a few hours in Bogie's last night to bang some balls and get used to the equipment. It's been several years since I was there for the first Super Seniors.

The tables are 8 GCs with approx. 4-3/8" pockets. One table on the end has even tighter pockets: 4-1/4 or 4-1/8, as I recall. They can keep that one...:) There's also one Diamond table, but I doubt that will be used for the event.

Ike was there banging balls. R. Newkirk and (I think) Warren were hard at it. Spoke with Ike for awhile. Then Dave G. (12squared) came up for a chat. Nick P. was there, as was Bob Steele.

Dave and Nick matched up, and eventually Newkirk and Ike racked 'em up. Presumably they were playing cheap, because they were shooting at everything..;)

Jeff Sparks was there earlier, but he had left. I figure he was probably ducking me..:D

I thought the early rounds of the event were to start tonight after the Calcutta. But so far it looks like they won't start until tomorrow A.M. (Friday). Most of the guys will be trickling in today, so the action should be in high gear by later this afternoon.

I'm sure there will be plenty of reports to follow.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Spent a few hours in Bogie's last night to bang some balls and get used to the equipment. It's been several years since I was there for the first Super Seniors.

The tables are 8 GCs with approx. 4-3/8" pockets. One table on the end has even tighter pockets: 4-1/4 or 4-1/8, as I recall. They can keep that one...:) There's also one Diamond table, but I doubt that will be used for the event.

Ike was there banging balls. R. Newkirk and (I think) Warren were hard at it. Spoke with Ike for awhile. Then Dave G. (12squared) came up for a chat. Nick P. was there, as was Bob Steele.

Dave and Nick matched up, and eventually Newkirk and Ike racked 'em up. Presumably they were playing cheap, because they were shooting at everything..;)

Jeff Sparks was there earlier, but he had left. I figure he was probably ducking me..:D

I thought the early rounds of the event were to start tonight after the Calcutta. But so far it looks like they won't start until tomorrow A.M. (Friday). Most of the guys will be trickling in today, so the action should be in high gear by later this afternoon.

I'm sure there will be plenty of reports to follow.

~Doc

Thanks for the update Doc!

Good luck down there, whoever wins it surely deserves it!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I spoke with the Colonel yesterday and I am exploring the option of flying down tomorrow night to hang out for the weekend. It would be easier if the Pilot flew up to get me!

Great idea Matt!

Hey Jim, if I play you some more even one hole, can you come pick me up and fly me around to these tourneys? :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Correction on the earlier post about the tables. M. LeBlanc told me that the new owner had all the GC 8-footers redone, and all the corner pockets are 4-1/4". So they're fairly tight, but not at all unplayable. The cloths are all in good shape.

I believe they ended up with 36 players. Some notable guys who were slated to play but bowed out are: Buddy Hall, Dave Matlock, Mike Massey, Tome Wirth, Jeff Sparks, Jay Helfert, Joey Aguzin, and a couple of others.

Reportedly Sammy Jones was the highest bid player in the Calcutta (or as they say here, "cow cutter"). Cardone and Ike went high too. Didn't really follow the Calcutta, but I think 1st will be $3K.

The matches are to start tomorrow at noon. Then Saturday and Sunday at 10:00. Evidently the idea is that no one will be knocked out of the tournament on the first day, which is a nice consideration for the guys who have spent a lot of money traveling to the venue. Doc's first match is at 2:45. They're going to start with allowing 2-3/4 hours for each match to see how that works out.

I think Kentucky said that Goldy hadn't got the equipment there yet, but that he was streaming some from his laptop. At present he was streaming the Cardone/Bob Herchick match-up. Both those guys can play! Herchick (sp) doesn't make many mistakes.

Newkirk is still battling it out with Ike. I guess Robert likes the game. The Pilot has locked horns with NH John Smith. Col. Bille was playing someone. All the tables are full. I don't know all the guys, but most everyone plays well.

Should be plenty to report on tomorrow. Maybe some of the others will chime in...:cool:

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Correction on the earlier post about the tables. M. LeBlanc told me that the new owner had all the GC 8-footers redone, and all the corner pockets are 4-1/4". So they're fairly tight, but not at all unplayable. The cloths are all in good shape.

I believe they ended up with 36 players. Some notable guys who were slated to play but bowed out are: Buddy Hall, Dave Matlock, Mike Massey, Tome Wirth, Jeff Sparks, Jay Helfert, Joey Aguzin, and a couple of others.

Reportedly Sammy Jones was the highest bid player in the Calcutta (or as they say here, "cow cutter"). Cardone and Ike went high too. Didn't really follow the Calcutta, but I think 1st will be $3K.

The matches are to start tomorrow at noon. Then Saturday and Sunday at 10:00. Evidently the idea is that no one will be knocked out of the tournament on the first day, which is a nice consideration for the guys who have spent a lot of money traveling to the venue. Doc's first match is at 2:45. They're going to start with allowing 2-3/4 hours for each match to see how that works out.

I think Kentucky said that Goldy hadn't got the equipment there yet, but that he was streaming some from his laptop. At present he was streaming the Cardone/Bob Herchick match-up. Both those guys can play! Herchick (sp) doesn't make many mistakes.

Newkirk is still battling it out with Ike. I guess Robert likes the game. The Pilot has locked horns with NH John Smith. Col. Bille was playing someone. All the tables are full. I don't know all the guys, but most everyone plays well.

Should be plenty to report on tomorrow. Maybe some of the others will chime in...:cool:

~Doc

My post from Tuesday, trying to help out brother Dustin with his handicapping :heh ----->

:sorry but you don't know all of your players Dustin...you're not too bad on most of them, but...

James Davis Sr. plays way better than 9-1 - he's been one of the best players down there for a loong time...

and if Sammy Jones plays at all like he used to, he's waay better than 10-1...

and by far your worst call: Robert Herchick @ 8/1 :lol - two years ago he finished in 2nd place in the west coast pro tournament - and 25 years ago, he came out two games ahead gambling with me :eek:....he's supposed to be @ 4-1.

Your welcome bro, Ghost

:)

- Handicapper Ghost :cool:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I AM HAVING A BLAST....:):)
got in early and got to spend some time with androd on tuesday and jeff on wednesday.
rodney at 81 still hits em pretty sporty. i really enjoyed finally meeting you /getting to know you and playing .:)
jeff /nick/john rizzo/ and i played some rotating partners on wednesday
was a blast.
had lunch with jeff . it was great to get to know you better..:)
yesterday was busy. played some with disco dave/a local named jim
and LSjohn
also got to meet and play dave gross 12squared...plays great nice guy and was a treat to play some 3 cushion with you too
thanks for putting up with me on the 3c table dave....:)
john it was great to finally meet and get to know you too..:)
i am starting to meet alot of the guys which is really why i came (and of course to take off the tourney ....:lol:lol)
i went for $60 :eek: in the cow cutter yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think there is 8K generated (edit i just saw john henderson post the auction generated $8,900. total prize money $18,900 )
someone who knows for sure can confirm
my first match today is against newkirk at noon
really nice guy
show you its a small world
my house pro mark coats told me about his battles with robert from 30 years ago
for the record there is one 4 inch table 2 or 3 are 4 1/4 the rest are 4 3/8
they play fast with new rails and new 860 cloth
they extended the rails on the all the tables
really great table mechanic work
first class great equipment
kudos to bogies ...thank you
i also want to say thank you to john rizzo
who has really made feel very much at home in a room i have never been to
time to jump in the shower /get breakfast / and go to bogies to warm up for newkirk
wish me luck..i will need it......:D

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I AM HAVING A BLAST....:):)
got in early and got to spend some time with androd on tuesday and jeff on wednesday.
rodney at 81 still hits em pretty sporty. i really enjoyed finally meeting you /getting to know you and playing .:)
jeff /nick/john rizzo/ and i played some rotating partners on wednesday
was a blast.
had lunch with jeff . it was great to get to know you better..:)
yesterday was busy. played some with disco dave/a local named jim
and LSjohn
also got to meet and play dave gross 12squared...plays great nice guy and was a treat to play some 3 cushion with you too
thanks for putting up with me on the 3c table dave....:)
john it was great to finally meet and get to know you too..:)
i am starting to meet alot of the guys which is really why i came (and of course to take off the tourney ....:lol:lol)
i went for $60 :eek: in the cow cutter yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think there is 8K generated (edit i just saw john henderson post the auction generated $8,900. total prize money $18,900 )
someone who knows for sure can confirm
my first match today is against newkirk at noon
really nice guy
show you its a small world
my house pro mark coats told me about his battles with robert from 30 years ago
for the record there is one 4 inch table 2 or 3 are 4 1/4 the rest are 4 3/8
they play fast with new rails and new 860 cloth
they extended the rails on the all the tables
really great table mechanic work
first class great equipment
kudos to bogies ...thank you
i also want to say thank you to john rizzo
who has really made feel very much at home in a room i have never been to
time to jump in the shower /get breakfast / and go to bogies to warm up for newkirk
wish me luck..i will need it......:D

Thanks for the report Larry, sounds like you are having fun which is what its all about!

Good luck to both you and Robert today and all who is playing!

warrenr

Verified Member
First reports came in: Warren Kentucky Warren chases Ky out of Texas with run after run after run

I’m getting to bed early to tangle with Bill tomorrow. Really enjoy playing with you. Take no prisoners tomorrow.