What was the worst time you dogged it

onepockethacker

Verified Member
What was your biggest choke job in your pool career? In other words... what was the situation when you crapped all over yourself?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
What was your biggest choke job in your pool career? In other words... what was the situation when you crapped all over yourself?

1961, snooker against Richie Florence at the Wonderbowl in Anaheim. Had him stuck 18 games for $10 a game, jacked it to $20 and lost ten in a row. Only had $20 when we started.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
A couple weeks ago I needed one, my regular Thursday night needed two. I passed on a crossover bank & played safe. He made a four rail bank and went out on me.

Deeman

Verified Member
Playing John Binyon in a Detroit tournament, had him 6-4 and a nine ball two feet from the corner pocket with less than a 10 degree angle and the cue ball a foot away. I had lost to him twice in a row and now had him. I over cut it and it rattled and stayed up. John never let me back to the table. it was the finals as well.

DeeMan
May not have been my worst dog, but it stuck with me a long time.

senor

Verified Member
The one time I got staked, I mean really got staked, I could barely hold my cue. Six ahead one pocket set was over in 2 or 3 hours. I was never opposed to letting my friends bet in the middle, but 99.99% of the time I took half or more of the bet.

Skin

Verified Member
My worst dogs occured before the cues were even screwed together. I can recall some real doozies matching up so badly that I might as well have just handed over my bankroll outright and not even gone through the motions. :D

Skin

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Mark Betor set up a pretty big game for me when I was a youngster. I practiced in his brothers pool hall, so he knew how I played. I was getting the 8 from a couple of guys that had to play dutch that I should have a great chance beating even.

After the money on the other side asked every person in the pool hall if I could play, and they all said no, we played 5 ahead. I won the first 4 games and proceeded to dog it. I dont even remember what shots I dogged :confused: I know I did though. We had to take a break for about an hour, and they beat me. We flipped again, and I won the second set in like 15 minutes (that was the true price on that game) :frus

Anyway, why did you have to ask this question :)

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

not exactly crapped all over myself but an issue I regretted

years ago I was playing many large tournaments with the 'big' boys ...

this particular match I was playing Efren a race to 11 (9ball) with a referee supposedly officiating our match. think it may have been a Camel event but doesn't really matter. Efren was 'the man' to beat back then and well, I was keeping him in the chair. with the score 6-0, I was playing very well, I'm running out again.

this time though after pocketing a ball the cueball was coming to rest where I had unintentionally moved a ball that the cueball would have touched. this was certainly a foul, bih, that Efren saw and I certainly knew was a foul. hope I explained correctly :). But the referee didn't see it (for whatever reason) telling Efren it was up to the ref to call not you or me.

well ... Efren didn't like it that I didn't call the foul on myself. after a minute or two of discussion between Efren and I, I stayed at the table. but I was extremely bothered by my honesty or lack of.

well needless to say I dogged an easy out then Efren got to the table and he also missed an easy out. obvious this affected both of us. well my next inning I didn't get out AGAIN

to make a long story short Efren turned it on and I never really got back to the table. doing what the best player in the world would do - he wins 11-6

I apologized after the match and again later that month when I saw him again. this is how much it affected me :) he said he had no problem and have been good pool friends from that point on

moral of the story? referee should have been paying attention I guess :eek:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Against Ronnie, no less

Against Ronnie, no less

I was in Johnston City, playing in my first big tournament ever, and I was playing top speed. I already had players like Cisero Murphy, Billy Johnson, St Louis Blackie, Junior Goff, and Steve Cook, under my belt and I was playing for 3rd place on the winners side against Ronnie Allen. It was a race to four, winner break. I had Ronnie 3 games to 2, and I had just run seven to get to the hill. I had an easy safety to shoot balls away and protect my lead, and would have been a monster favorite to win the game and the match.
The Glory Hound came out in me and I instead chose to try a tricky 3 ball combo. I wanted to finish it with an 8 and out. I missed, Ronnie ran five, got back in the game and ended up winning it. He broke very strong, got 3 or 4 off the break - he, unlike me, protected his lead -- and won the match.

If I would have won that, my next match would have been against Boston Shorty, who after Ronnie, would have looked like a teen-aged runaway.

Beard

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Now it's coming back to me

Now it's coming back to me

It was between 1963 and 1979...then I pulled out of it a little.
Keep it nice. Alfie

John Brumback

Verified Member
The one i remember the most was when I had my only chance to win a car.
I could have should have been giving the guy the 7 (playing 9ball) and crapped all over myself.I wanted to leave the guy walking so bad that I couldn't make a ball.
It was only a 400$ car but I still get mad thinking about it.And it was 30 years ago.I lost 400 and the guy laughed all the way out of the pool hall.
Everytime I see the guy he brings it up and I walk away fast,:lol John B.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The one i remember the most was when I had my only chance to win a car.
I could have should have been giving the guy the 7 (playing 9ball) and crapped all over myself.I wanted to leave the guy walking so bad that I couldn't make a ball.
It was only a 400$ car but I still get mad thinking about it.And it was 30 years ago.I lost 400 and the guy laughed all the way out of the pool hall.
Everytime I see the guy he brings it up and I walk away fast,:lol John B.

If you are going to tell us a good little story like that, you have got to tell us what kind of car it was :)