A Ball Running Choice

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ok, I had this simple ball running situation come up the other day...

I have pocket A, and I need all three balls...

I don't think there's definitely a right and wrong way to run these three balls - I think it's more of a personal preference whether to go the 4-8-1 sequence or the 4-1-8 sequence....it's pretty high percentage to get out, but also, you could get out of line getting on that second ball by taking either route = by getting too straight in, too much angle, or scratching...

Personally, I prefer the 4-8-1 route - because I like, and have a better feel precision-wise, for shooting that type of cut shot with a tad of inside english and naturally floating down for the 8...rather than shooting with the low left english to get on the one...

Which route do all of you guys prefer?

- Gho$t

PS, I'm thinking 4-1-8 may be the more 'traditional' and popular choice.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AFJP3DEfc2HYps4POxT3Qchs4kOxT4kOxT@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm shooting the 4 and then the 1. If I fail to get out (and I might) let the 8 ball be the one I don't reach. Besides, the 8 will either three-rail or double-bank, if necessary. This trio is no cinch for me.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
4-1-8 for me. If I shoot a little hard or a little easy I can still get on the 8 ball.
If I get straight in, I'll just draw it into the side pocket. ;)
Rod.

timdog24

Verified Member
4-1-8 for me too. Probably because I play a lot of 9 ball (not by choice), the low left position from the 4 to the 1 is pretty standard. IMO it's also easier to play position from the 1 to the 8 than vice versa. You can easily miss the 8 trying to play po.
I don't know if I could ever quit a guy that preferred the 8-4-1 route :D

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
One Pocket Ghost said:

I don't think there's definitely a right and wrong way to run these three balls - I think it's more of a personal preference whether to go the 4-8-1 sequence or the 4-1-8 sequence....it's pretty high percentage to get out, but also, you could get out of line getting on that second ball by taking either route = by getting too straight in, too much angle, or scratching...

Personally, I prefer the 4-8-1 route - because I like, and have a better feel precision-wise, for shooting that type of cut shot with a tad of inside english and naturally floating down for the 8...rather than shooting with the low left english to get on the one...

- Gho$t

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AFJP3DEfb2HYps4POxT3Qchs4kOxT4kOxT@[/CUETABLE]

I would go 4-1 8 myself. I don't want to fool with that inside english and having to get real good on the 8 to get back to the one. It ain't no cinch for me to go 4-1-8 either,by the way.;)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
timdog24 said:
4-1-8 for me too. Probably because I play a lot of 9 ball (not by choice), the low left position from the 4 to the 1 is pretty standard. IMO it's also easier to play position from the 1 to the 8 than vice versa. You can easily miss the 8 trying to play po.
I don't know if I could ever quit a guy that preferred the 8-4-1 route :D

Aah, I do so enjoy laying down these little spreads - sending out disinformation re. my shot choices..:eek:...

As P.T. Barnum said.."There's one born every minute"...:D

- Gho$t

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Gho$t

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AFJP3DEfb2HYps4POxT3Qchs4kOxT4kOxT@[/CUETABLE]

Pleeeeeeez

Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
4-1-8. If you go to the eight you will need to get it fairly straight for it to be it a fairly comfortable shoot-able shot. And if you do get it fairly straight the position on the one will be difficult, then you probably will be looking at banking the one.

By going for the one next there are a number of different angles that are available for nice position on the eight and the worse is a three railer on the eight.

I think the Doctor thinks you're pulling our leg.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Frank Almanza said:
4-1-8. If you go to the eight you will need to get it fairly straight for it to be it a fairly comfortable shoot-able shot. And if you do get it fairly straight the position on the one will be difficult, then you probably will be looking at banking the one.

By going for the one next there are a number of different angles that are available for nice position on the eight and the worse is a three railer on the eight.

I think the Doctor thinks you're pulling our leg.
i think you are right:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
This is obviously another ploy by the Goast, to get me to thinking that he's really THAT stupid !!...Although sometimes, he can be very convincing...:rolleyes:

The Duckinator <--is always on the lookout, for new "pin-up's" for you and RBL. (you guys can play with your "hot wheels" for a while on her, can't ya ?... Heh, heh, heh..)

PS..Also caught this little video, of our hero's (taken just a few years ago)..http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/80s-hot-wheels-crack-ups-crash-course-commercial/0d3d31652602cb6009b20d3d31652602cb6009b2-421336515432?q=hot%20wheel%20crashes

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
I think it is shot 418 because the 1 is a very dangerous ball if left for last and missed, or if you go to the 8 and miss, you can leave an easier of the 2 choice for the other guy.

So, I shot this situation 4-1-8 as expected. The tough thing is you MUST keep the cueball off the rail to get out. You can almost get any angle on the 1 and get to the 8.

short video of the try>>>> click #4 [ame]http://vimeo.com/18597774[/ame]
G.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Verified Member
Ghost,
I'm thinking it depends on the pocket size and skill of the shooter (and maybe how much straight pool they play).

Despite the sentiment, I would take 4-8-1 all day long (at least I'll have a game since people won't quit me).

I need all the balls, and 4 to 8 is the most natural. If I can't make the 8 (with a less than 45 degree angle), I don't deserve to win, and shouldn't be gambling anyway. If I happen to get too straight on the 8, just follow down and bank the 1 - at least I've got 2 balls down and am shooting at game ball. Any moderate angle on the 8 gives almost automatic position on the one - borderline angles still have possibilities.

If I try to go 4-1-8 and miss position on the 1, its a scramble and I still need 2 balls.

Efren gets position on anything he wants, but 4-8-1 is the highest yield for a straight pool player (the more "natural" cue ball movement) - by far.

P.S. - if my backer forced me, I would still make a good try at 4-1-8; but damn you need to get good on the one.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:

Come on Ghoastty, give us something tough. This is so obvious that even an old Arizonan could see it:) . Obviously you would shoot the 4,8,1 just like you said you liked.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AFJP3DEfc2HYps4POxT3Qchs4kOxT4kOxT@4AFJP3DEfc2HYps4POxT3Qchs3XEfc3Xchr4kOxT3kCKa3kDQl2kRyO@4AFJP3Dchr2HYps2PRyO3Qchs@4AFJP3Dchr2HYps2PRyO3Qchs2cYps3cbbu2kRyO2kYiK2kaoD1kCtd@4AFJP3Dchr3Hbbu1PCtd3Qchs@4AFJP4BAMA4CEMO3DBKO4EBal3FDvO3GBJl4HCpe3ICpe3JFSe4KAEe4LFbe4MCpA4NBjO3OCYA1PCtd3rTECTHIS_IS_CLEARLY_YOUR_BEST_CHANCE_TO_RUN_150_AND_OUT.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

beatle

Verified Member
418 as after the one all you have to do is get down table and you can at least hang the eight. with the one last that isnt so easy.

but what kind of awful shot came before this to leave yourself there.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
beatle said:
418 as after the one all you have to do is get down table and you can at least hang the eight. with the one last that isnt so easy.

but what kind of awful shot came before this to leave yourself there.
beatle,

Do you know how to advance the pages on a WEI table? Click on the 6 in the lower right-hand corner of the table <1|6> to view my shot progression. Keep clicking on it until both numbers are a 6.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
i know i am dense at times. but what are you talking about.
this is one pocket not straight pool. your diagram is for that.

or am i being leveled here?

or is it some kind of showing that you may not get across enough for the one playing the eight first and then relaying it to straight pool.

i must be dense, or dick is right about you. and i cant believe that could be accurate.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Williebetmore said:
Ghost,
I'm thinking it depends on the pocket size and skill of the shooter (and maybe how much straight pool they play).

Despite the sentiment, I would take 4-8-1 all day long (at least I'll have a game since people won't quit me).

I need all the balls, and 4 to 8 is the most natural. If I can't make the 8 (with a less than 45 degree angle), I don't deserve to win, and shouldn't be gambling anyway. If I happen to get too straight on the 8, just follow down and bank the 1 - at least I've got 2 balls down and am shooting at game ball. Any moderate angle on the 8 gives almost automatic position on the one - borderline angles still have possibilities.

If I try to go 4-1-8 and miss position on the 1, its a scramble and I still need 2 balls.

Efren gets position on anything he wants, but 4-8-1 is the highest yield for a straight pool player (the more "natural" cue ball movement) - by far.
P.S. - if my backer forced me, I would still make a good try at 4-1-8; but damn you need to get good on the one.

Finally!...

Thanks Don...it figures that it took a straight pool player to fully understand this position-play situation/choice..;)...

They all thought I was kidding about my choice of going 4-8-1 - but I wasn't...and for the same reasons that you said...

It's a more natural shot and stroke to flow to the 8ball next...also the natural speed of softly making the 4, is a perfect match in speed to get you perfectly on the 8...

And especially if the pockets are tight or a little tight, say 4" - 4-1/4"...in that case, shooting the 4ball with a 1/2 tip of inside english makes the 4 much more makeable than hitting it with low left spin - much easier to rattle it and miss it that way.

- Ghost

PS, Hey Don...I'd be curious to hear what Danny-D. would say - if you talk to him, ask him.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
beatle said:
i know i am dense at times. but what are you talking about.
this is one pocket not straight pool. your diagram is for that.

or am i being leveled here?

or is it some kind of showing that you may not get across enough for the one playing the eight first and then relaying it to straight pool.

i must be dense, or dick is right about you. and i cant believe that could be accurate.
beatle,

How could I level you? I posted the WEI table before your response.

RBL