2003 Legends of One Pocket & Straight Pool

Drewriviera

I played at this event & had a great time. Does anyone have any pictures from it? It is almost a forgotten tournament which is kind of sad.

Drewriviera

Unfortunately Accu-Stats was not there, with the US Open being the next week and they didn't have enough time to set up and take down...it was in Columbia in September 2003. It was a Grady event.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Unfortunately Accu-Stats was not there, with the US Open being the next week and they didn't have enough time to set up and take down...it was in Columbia in September 2003. It was a Grady event.

It was a good one. I went down there and stayed in The Sheraton right where they played. I never left one time after I parked my car, until I cranked up to drive back home. Scott won and John Schmidt in straight pool. Grady and his wife sure tried to run things right. They had Scott Smith there working too. Unfortunately I didn't take photos. Actually I never did that. But I should have took some that time...

Drewriviera

It was a good one. I went down there and stayed in The Sheraton right where they played. I never left one time after I parked my car, until I cranked up to drive back home. Scott won and John Schmidt in straight pool. Grady and his wife sure tried to run things right. They had Scott Smith there working too. Unfortunately I didn't take photos. Actually I never did that. But I should have took some that time...

Funny, sounds just like what I did. I didn't leave the hotel once myself. They had pretty good food there etc. and lots of action. At that time there wasn't hardly a straight pool tournament to be had. That was pretty rare. Especially in the southern states. I just soaked in as many matches as possible. I wish I had some more pictures of people playing, but this being before digital cameras we couldn't use flash and it was pretty dark in there. I posted a pic of me with Danny Diliberto directly after our one pocket match. I lost 3-1.

NH Steve. I can't see those results, do you have a way to post them? Who is the Ghost?

Jimmy B. Did you play in the event? Maybe we played each other.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Funny, sounds just like what I did. I didn't leave the hotel once myself. They had pretty good food there etc. and lots of action. At that time there wasn't hardly a straight pool tournament to be had. That was pretty rare. Especially in the southern states. I just soaked in as many matches as possible. I wish I had some more pictures of people playing, but this being before digital cameras we couldn't use flash and it was pretty dark in there. I posted a pic of me with Danny Diliberto directly after our one pocket match. I lost 3-1.

NH Steve. I can't see those results, do you have a way to post them? Who is the Ghost?

Jimmy B. Did you play in the event? Maybe we played each other.

Ghost is a one pocket man. His name is Bruce 'Luke' Perry. He's a long time poster on this board with several thousand posts. He hasn't been posting much the last few months though. No, I didn't play. I had just sold a business and a rent house at that time and was just treating myself to a getaway. I I think I remember you. Weren't you friends with Rabon? . Didn't you stay in action a lot..I remember talking to Danny D. for a few minutes. Mostly about Mosconi. I watched about half of one of his one pocket matches that he won. It might have been yours. I remember looking at his cue case and it had a sign on it that said No Smoking. I remember thinking that was odd to have a sign like that on your case. He was always very anti-cigarette. Did you get any pics with Ray Martin or Weenie Beanie or Grady or any of the other old heads...??? Anyway welcome in here. Keep scribbling ... We need you...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is the Ghost from last Derby City Classic

I tried a screenshot of the results from AZ:

Attachments

• 2016-09-13 06_51_46-Greenshot.jpg
    2016-09-13 06_51_46-Greenshot.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Eric Durbin...man I remember seeing him come through trying to get action from everyone, LOL....he was somewhat inconsistent but boy when he was on, he could play lights out...glad to see that not only could he beat locals but apparently did pretty well on the main stage to get 7th in that tourney with some pretty big names there...

Drewriviera

Ghost is a one pocket man. His name is Bruce 'Luke' Perry. He's a long time poster on this board with several thousand posts. He hasn't been posting much the last few months though. No, I didn't play. I had just sold a business and a rent house at that time and was just treating myself to a getaway. I I think I remember you. Weren't you friends with Rabon? . Didn't you stay in action a lot..I remember talking to Danny D. for a few minutes. Mostly about Mosconi. I watched about half of one of his one pocket matches that he won. It might have been yours. I remember looking at his cue case and it had a sign on it that said No Smoking. I remember thinking that was odd to have a sign like that on your case. He was always very anti-cigarette. Did you get any pics with Ray Martin or Weenie Beanie or Grady or any of the other old heads...??? Anyway welcome in here. Keep scribbling ... We need you...

That is funny!!! I remember that no smoking sign! I think it was actually a wall sign that was glued to his case which is strange.

I do remember watching Ghost play for sure also. I hadn't heard of him before that tournament. I didn't draw him in it so I did not play him. I did hit balls around a lot with quite a few people and also had my high runs in straight pool at that tournament, but I didn't gamble a bunch. Mainly I watched action.

I do remember Rabon, but I didn't really know him. If I remember right though he tore through a few big name players for sure. I found a picture of us talking though. And yes I do have more photos with the true legends (Grady, Ray Martin and Weenie Beanie).