1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
He's still in Houston and told me today he wants to play in it. Just thought i'd help you all out with another player....lol

Don't know how to thank you..... since we don't have a smilie with a middle finger. :D

I'm definitely checking his birth certificate.... certified copy only.... I hear from my sources that he was born in Kenya. :smile

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
He's still in Houston and told me today he wants to play in it. Just thought i'd help you all out with another player....lol

Would love to see Buddy in it.

Any of you guys know of others not on the list, let me know. They need to contact John Rizzo at Bogeys to confirm a spot and I will add them to the flyer.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Don't know how to thank you..... since we don't have a smilie with a middle finger. :D

I'm definitely checking his birth certificate.... certified copy only.... I hear from my sources that he was born in Kenya. :smile

I know his game very well having spent hundreds of hours over the years sparring with him. So if he plays and you would like the inside scoop on how to play him just let me know and i'll steer you right... for a small fee of course...:lol And he is from Metropolis, and i heard his family's milk man might have been Clark Kent...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I know his game very well having spent hundreds of hours over the years sparring with him. So if he plays and you would like the inside scoop on how to play him just let me know and i'll steer you right... for a small fee of course...:lol And he is from Metropolis, andi heard his family's milk man might have been Clark Kent...

Now, that I do believe. :)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
John, I heard that Buddy now lives in Houston. Is that true? I thought that he'd semi-retired to Metropolis several years back.

~Doc

He still lives in Metropolis with his clan. He owns a home there. He said today he'd be back up here in a few weeks and didn't mention he was living there now. He's been here full time for at least 15yrs or so that i can remember. He has been making month long trips down to Houston to play a few times a year. He has a backer there. I think this time he's been gone a few months. I know he has talked about moving down there and running a pool room but i'm not sure of the details or if it will ever happen. Its pretty slim pickins anymore around here so its tough for him to make a living here. He lives to be in the pool room every day.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
He still lives in Metropolis with his clan. He owns a home there. He said today he'd be back up here in a few weeks and didn't mention he was living there now. He's been here full time for at least 15yrs or so that i can remember. He has been making month long trips down to Houston to play a few times a year. He has a backer there. I think this time he's been gone a few months. I know he has talked about moving down there and running a pool room but i'm not sure of the details or if it will ever happen. Its pretty slim pickins anymore around here so its tough for him to make a living here. He lives to be in the pool room every day.

I've been trying to get in touch with Buddy the last two days at Legends in League City, I understand that's his hang out. I've left word with people both times I have called but no response from Buddy yet. If he's been playing at Legends then he's probably in good enough shape to give the top players in our tournament a good run for the $$$!

Personally I'm hoping he decides to play in our inaugural event, he would definitely add a measure of credibility and prestige to our gathering.

I talked to Houston Cal tonight and he said he's going to play in it, so Hendy, I guess you can add his name to the flyer.

I have not talked with Flyboy yet, but I know he will want to play in it for sure.

Crabbcatjohn,

If Buddy doesn't mind, would you PM me his cell phone #?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I sent my $200 dollars somewhere. I cant remember what it was for or who I sent it too, but, am I in? What thread is this?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Just talked to Buddy Hall, he's said he'd like very much to play in our Seniors event in October, he's living here now and that would be a nice easy drive for him.

So, Hendy, that's two more to add to the list, Houston Cal and Cecil (Buddy) Hall.

I think that's 15 entries now and I know Flyboy will want to play so we are definitely going to post time with this tournament.

I'm getting excited now, not that I have a chance to win, but I'm looking forward to meeting the guys I don't know and seeing the ones I do know and haven't seen in many years.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Just talked to Buddy Hall, he's said he'd like very much to play in our Seniors event in October, he's living here now and that would be a nice easy drive for him.

So, Hendy, that's two more to add to the list, Houston Cal and Cecil (Buddy) Hall.

I think that's 15 entries now and I know Flyboy will want to play so we are definitely going to post time with this tournament.

I'm getting excited now, not that I have a chance to win, but I'm looking forward to meeting the guys I don't know and seeing the ones I do know and haven't seen in many years.

Woo hoo.

Keep 'em comin'. I'd really like for us to have 24. (At our ages, it's pretty likely that at least one of us won't be able to come at the last minute.)

This is gonna be a blast.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

Woo hoo.

Keep 'em comin'. I'd really like for us to have 24. (At our ages, it's pretty likely that at least one of us won't be able to come at the last minute.)

This is gonna be a blast.

It sure is! I wish I lived closer. I would love to go even if I couldn't get in the main event.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Just talked to Flyboy, he's gonna play also, I believe we now have 16!

It's a done deal!

Anybody know how old Jack Cooney is? Hendy suggested he might be close to 70 now. If he qualifies age wise, I'll be glad to call him if someone will PM me his phone #.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I had to be in Houston for some appointments yesterday A.M., so I decided to stay over an extra night in order to go up to Bogies to check out the joint, and to meet Jeff Sparks and John Rizzo.

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn, which is just a few blocks west of the poolroom on the main drag (FM 1960). It's a very adequate motel, which is very clean and friendly. It's an older property like most of us are familiar with from the '60s and '70s: single story with side-by-side rooms (30). It's spacious and fairly thick-walled. The price is low by today's standards: $69 (including tax). The rooms have refrigerators, microwaves, and wi-fi. There are other motels in the area, but I didn't investigate them. There are also some higher rent places a couple of miles away at the airport.

Bogies is a very nice room. Rizzo guaranteed that the 8 GCs will all be freshly recovered approximately one month prior to the tournament. There's also a 9' Diamond which took the place of an old 12' snooker table. In addition there are a bunch of 8' and 7' tables. There's no kitchen per se, but they do offer hot dogs, bbq sandwiches, and other finger food-- I suppose all microwaved. For Henderson's information, their bars are very well stocked.;) Everyone seems to be very excited and looking forward to hosting the event.

I can't say enough about Jeff Sparks. He's a great guy, and a genuine pool nut, who's determined to be a fearsome 1P player. He's also a pro-class poker player. He's a generous guy, and will always try pick up the check. With his enthusiasm, and knowledge of some of the players, he's going to be a big asset for the event.

I didn't get to Bogies until about 3:30. I'd been running all day, and Jeff had been playing most of the afternoon, but we still managed to get in about 4 hours of one-pocket before we knocked it in the head, and went to dinner. All in all it was a very enjoyable meeting, and I'm looking forward to the event on October 23rd. And yes, Rizzo wouldn't let me out of there until I paid my entry....:D

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just talked to Flyboy, he's gonna play also, I believe we now have 16!

It's a done deal!

Anybody know how old Jack Cooney is? Hendy suggested he might be close to 70 now. If he qualifies age wise, I'll be glad to call him if someone will PM me his phone #.

Jack Cooney can't be old enough lol.

"Nate" Cobert is probably old enough. Billy probably knows him well enough. Also "Busdriver" Ronnie and "Patch Eye". They all would probably have 70 covered. "John Henry" from Detroit is definitely also old enough.

How about Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter? He is over 80 but might want to play. He still lives in Tuscaloosa. I have heard him say he will play anyone his age, lol.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Jack Cooney can't be old enough lol.

"Nate" Cobert is probably old enough. Billy probably knows him well enough. Also "Busdriver" Ronnie and "Patch Eye". They all would probably have 70 covered. "John Henry" from Detroit is definitely also old enough.

How about Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter? He is over 80 but might want to play. He still lives in Tuscaloosa. I have heard him say he will play anyone his age, lol.

I doubt that Henry would be well enough to travel that far. He was one of the first pool players I met at the joint in Louisville that stayed open 24 hours a day. Truman, Edie Taylor, Bob Bolles, and many, many others played there on a regular basis. I was seventeen when I first started playing and oh how I should have just sat and watched and listened. But noooooooo, I just had to bark and play. I talked to Henry a few years ago at the DCC. He didnt remember me of course, I'm not sure if he remembered Parkmoor.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Is hacker playing?

I wanted to but my doctor won't allow it... He said that if I was to get around a room full of suckers like you guys are putting together the massive blood rush from my heart to the massive hard on I would get would probably kill me:lol:lol

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I wanted to but my doctor won't allow it... He said that if I was to get around a room full of suckers like you guys are putting together the massive blood rush from my heart to the massive hard on I would get would probably kill me:lol:lol

I will still fire 1k at you for the 10/6 you offered to all us old suckers on an earlier post. :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

They just called me from Bogie's and said "Pleeeeeze don't let that Hacker dude come. This is an open carry state, and if he talks the way he writes...."