HOF nominations

J.D. Dolan

Verified Member
From
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I'd like to nominate Greg Sullivan for the One Pocket HOF. The Derby City Classic has already become as important as the Johnston City tournaments, and the DCC would never have happened if not for Greg Sullivan.

As to the the Eddie Robin nomination, I have this to say: Comparing Eddie's playing ability to one pocket greats is really irrelevant to the discussion. I nominated him last year, since his books on one pocket are the best to date. Eddie was a serious one pocket player in his day (so was Greg Sullivan -- though he was an even better coin-flipper).

It's also irrelevant to compare Eddie Robin to the Jansco brothers.

Both Greg Sullivan and Eddie Robin should be in the One Pocket HOF in the Teachers and Promoters category. The Jansco brothers should also be in there.

And Cliff Joyner (in the the Players category), dammit.

IMHO
J.D. Dolan

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
HOF time...

HOF time...

It's interesting to me to see the posters who come out of the woodwork at HOF time.:) Almost like instant coffee: add water, and poof! We've had a history of guys who have never before posted on these forums, but yet suddenly get the urge to join in order to vote for the HOF.

It's illuminating to read all the threads of opinions on who should --and why they ought to-- be considered for nominations. For example, as much as I admire Shannon Daulton's game, I realize that he is a little "young" for inclusion. Same thing for Cliff.

Likewise the Teachers and Promoters category will probably eventually see guys like Eddie Robin, Greg Sullivan or Mark Griffin, and even Steve Booth. But the Jansco brothers were promoting one pocket from 1961. They came along and promoted one-pocket for over a decade before anyone ever heard of these other gentlemen.

As has been said many times before: the HOF will never be taken seriously unless the inductees have been selected by rock solid criteria.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bring in all three

Bring in all three

J.D. Dolan said:
I'd like to nominate Greg Sullivan for the One Pocket HOF. The Derby City Classic has already become as important as the Johnston City tournaments, and the DCC would never have happened if not for Greg Sullivan.

As to the the Eddie Robin nomination, I have this to say: Comparing Eddie's playing ability to one pocket greats is really irrelevant to the discussion. I nominated him last year, since his books on one pocket are the best to date. Eddie was a serious one pocket player in his day (so was Greg Sullivan -- though he was an even better coin-flipper).

It's also irrelevant to compare Eddie Robin to the Jansco brothers.

Both Greg Sullivan and Eddie Robin should be in the One Pocket HOF in the Teachers and Promoters category. The Jansco brothers should also be in there.

And Cliff Joyner (in the the Players category), dammit.

IMHO
J.D. Dolan

J.D, J.D., I agree all three should probably all go in this year, together. My official order (IMHO) would be, first, The Jansco's, second, Greg Sullivan, he has always tried his darnedest to promote the game, even when it cost him personally. Lastly, Eddie Robin, the books were fabulous, but his interest in playing or promoting the game is questionable. When was the last time he was seen playing in, or attending an event?
J.D., old pal, your playing stats re Greg and Eddie are starting to sound a little Al Frankenish in their exaggeration. (...a private joke, forum members between J.D. and me) They never played past short-stop speed, and were both bushwhackers.
Finally, you were right on one more point, Greg should also be considered for the coin-toss HOF.
Absolutely finally, one more year of waiting for Cliff, the old guys need just a little more consideration.

the Beard

J.D. Dolan

Verified Member
From
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Good god, we agree!

Good god, we agree!

fred bentivegna said:
J.D, J.D., I agree all three should probably all go in this year, together. My official order (IMHO) would be, first, The Jansco's, second, Greg Sullivan, he has always tried his darnedest to promote the game, even when it cost him personally. Lastly, Eddie Robin, the books were fabulous, but his interest in playing or promoting the game is questionable. When was the last time he was seen playing in, or attending an event?
J.D., old pal, your playing stats re Greg and Eddie are starting to sound a little Al Frankenish in their exaggeration. (...a private joke, forum members between J.D. and me) They never played past short-stop speed, and were both bushwhackers.
Finally, you were right on one more point, Greg should also be considered for the coin-toss HOF.
Absolutely finally, one more year of waiting for Cliff, the old guys need just a little more consideration.

the Beard

Freddie,

I agree with you about the order, and about the playing ability of those mentioned. So what. You're still a phlegmatic turd-woofing neo-con(man);) .

J.D.

J.D. Dolan

Verified Member
From
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Hof

Hof

gulfportdoc said:
It's interesting to me to see the posters who come out of the woodwork at HOF time.:) Almost like instant coffee: add water, and poof!

Mixed metaphors. By the way, instant coffee doesn't go "poof!"

gulfportdoc said:
We've had a history of guys who have never before posted on these forums, but yet suddenly get the urge to join in order to vote for the HOF.

Actually, I've been a member of OnePocket.Org since August of 2004. I play in the DCC every year, and I attend the HOF dinner every year (even worked the front door at the last one). I don't post very often on this forum, but I do post regularly (you seem to have enjoyed my annual April Fool's posts). Also, as a professional writer (one who's written feature pieces about pool for Esquire and Details), I simply don't have time to blogurgitate my every thought (or, for that matter, to ingest yours).

J.D. Dolan

yobagua

You know if it wasnt for Pat FLeming we wouldnt have all those wonderful one pocket tapes we keep talking about. Pat should have an honored place in the HOF. THose tapes allow those to learn and see the greatest in their prime. And go to places were little one pocket is seldom played. To deny him recognition in any pool hall of fame would be egregious.

J.D. Dolan

Verified Member
From
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Amen!

Amen!

yobagua said:
You know if it wasnt for Pat FLeming we wouldnt have all those wonderful one pocket tapes we keep talking about. Pat should have an honored place in the HOF. THose tapes allow those to learn and see the greatest in their prime. And go to places were little one pocket is seldom played. To deny him recognition in any pool hall of fame would be egregious.

I agree 100%!

J.D.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
"blogurgitate" J.D. Dolan

Now, this is a word the English language has sorely needed. I have seen pockets do this with game-balls that are straight-in and hangers but until this moment I was unaware of the word describing the action or, for that matter, that there even existed such a word.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
J.D. Dolan said:
Actually, I've been a member of OnePocket.Org since August of 2004. I play in the DCC every year, and I attend the HOF dinner every year (even worked the front door at the last one). I don't post very often on this forum, but I do post regularly (you seem to have enjoyed my annual April Fool's posts). Also, as a professional writer (one who's written feature pieces about pool for Esquire and Details), I simply don't have time to blogurgitate my every thought (or, for that matter, to ingest yours).
If you must know, my previous post was referring to a certain gentleman from the Pacific Northwest. But perhaps you felt self-conscious or threatened. Even so, I do appreciate that you've spared us most of your "blogurgitations".

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Certification

Certification

gulfportdoc said:
It's interesting to me to see the posters who come out of the woodwork at HOF time.:) Almost like instant coffee: add water, and poof! We've had a history of guys who have never before posted on these forums, but yet suddenly get the urge to join in order to vote for the HOF.
...Likewise the Teachers and Promoters category will probably eventually see guys like Eddie Robin, Greg Sullivan or Mark Griffin, and even Steve Booth. But the Jansco brothers were promoting one pocket from 1961. They came along and promoted one-pocket for over a decade before anyone ever heard of these other gentlemen.
As has been said many times before: the HOF will never be taken seriously unless the inductees have been selected by rock solid criteria.

Doc

Doc, I would like to be the first to certify J.D's credentials as a pool player/pool writer/pool buff/pool promoter and genuine pool bug. He deserves and belongs. I say this even tho I think he insulted me (I aint sure, because I really dont know what the hell all that means) when he called me a "phlegmatic turd-woofing neo-con (man)." Anybody know if that's bad?

the Beard
I dont know about you, Doc, but I intend to keep blogurgitating. As for you Kindlyoleuncledave, I have had a few blogurgitate out of the pocket myself.

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Doc, I would like to be the first to certify J.D's credentials as a pool player/pool writer/pool buff/pool promoter and genuine pool bug. He deserves and belongs. I say this even tho I think he insulted me (I aint sure, because I really dont know what the hell all that means) when he called me a "phlegmatic turd-woofing neo-con (man)." Anybody know if that's bad?

the Beard
I dont know about you, Doc, but I intend to keep blogurgitating. As for you Kindlyoleuncledave, I have had a few blogurgitate out of the pocket myself.

He left out "jocular". That changes everything.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Seems like "Cincinnati Clem" Metz should be in there. And maybe Ervolino and Billy Incardona as well.