Wwykd

youngstown

Verified Member
You need 2 and are playing a world class player on a table he knows well. I say this because if you leave him a bank, he's extremely likely to make it and get shape! Also, because (I don't have a full table picture, sorry) but there are like 12 balls on the table (because you are on the receiving end of a big spot), all the ones you don't see are uptable, some jammed up, but also some spread out enough to where there are no 1, 2, or 3 railers, and nowhere to hide up table.

He just hung a ball in his pocket.

Finally, the picture might not show this accurately, because it is a re-enactment, but you are playing with very tight pockets, so there is enough rail for the 7 to be banked and not catch the pocket.

What is the correct play here? WWYD?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
You need 2 and are playing a world class player on a table he knows well. I say this because if you leave him a bank, he's extremely likely to make it and get shape! Also, because (I don't have a full table picture, sorry) but there are like 12 balls on the table (because you are on the receiving end of a big spot), all the ones you don't see are uptable, some jammed up, but also some spread out enough to where there are no 1, 2, or 3 railers, and nowhere to hide up table.

Finally, the picture might not show this accurately, because it is a re-enactment, but you are playing with very tight pockets, so there is enough rail for the 7 to be banked and not catch the pocket.

What are you asking?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Difficult choice, but I think I'd bank the 4 around the 7. Lots of good stuff could happen: it could go in off the 7; it could hang; it could queer the cross on the 7, or; it could land in half the top side of the pocket where it both blocks his bank and is difficult to take out because it's blocked by the 7.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Difficult choice, but I think I'd bank the 4 around the 7. Lots of good stuff could happen: it could go in off the 7; it could hang; it could queer the cross on the 7, or; it could land in half the top side of the pocket where it both blocks his bank and is difficult to take out because it's blocked by the 7.

Isn't that the 5? And is that your hole at the bottom under the 7?

Is the question whether or not to shoot here or give him that hanging ball?

I shoot the bank combo here, it gets me out if I make it, and with pocket speed I should hang it or make it.

youngstown

Verified Member
Wwykd

What are you asking?
Sorry, I got cute with the title, heh. What would you do if it was you turn at the table and you were the bottom pocket? Would you make the hanger? If so, where would you try to place the cue ball?

Is it completely wrong to shoot the bank combo because of the ball hanging there in his pocket?

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
Wwykd

I shoot the bank combo here, it gets me out if I make it, and with pocket speed I should hang it or make it.
Dang it. I wrote a book and didn't say he just hung one in his pocket. I updated the original post.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Yeah, probably is the 5... orange/pink fool me on these sometimes. I think Bank combo has to be hit perfect, banking 5 around doesn't. I shy away from a lot of those perfect-or-else shots. The combo taget is the size of a dime... the bank-around is bigger than a ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The safe play --if the opponent needs his full count, or nearly so-- is to make his hanger and leave the CB uptable.

On the other hand, needing only two, you might bank the 5 to your hole. The 5 can be banked short, to come in on a straighter plane to where the 5 might pocket, especially on dry cloth. If it hangs, that's almost as good. Now you'll need only one, and should be in the driver's seat. But this selection is only good if you believe the 5 can be pocketed or hung.

Being a top player, the danger of leaving him his hanger is that from that lie, he can put the CB just about anywhere on the table. But since you said that everything is tied up, and there are no banks, then that's an advantage to you.

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'd give him the ball -- not seeing where the other balls are of course could change things -- but somewhere up along their long rail rail I would think. The combo bank is too low percentage for me.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I would probably bank the five around the seven it might even go with the ticky. One thing for sure is that he wouldn't want you to try that he would prefer that you give him that hanging ball.
With the spot you're getting it sounds like you might not get a better opportunity. Sounds like he's a much better player and you need some a bit of luck to win.

youngstown

Verified Member
Wwykd

I would probably bank the five around the seven it might even go with the ticky. One thing for sure is that he wouldn't want you to try that he would prefer that you give him that hanging ball.
With the spot you're getting it sounds like you might not get a better opportunity. Sounds like he's a much better player and you need some a bit of luck to win.
You are right. He really didn't like that I chose that shot (and voiced his disapproval in a very belittling manner). I felt that I didn't even have to make it for it to be effective, so I chose that shot because I wanted to keep applying pressure on him. I moved enough balls up table like I was supposed to, so that allowed me to play that shot, right?? My first instinct was to make the hanger but I didn't feel like I could play an effective safe. In the pic it looks like you can try to double him up on the bank behind the 5, but I don't remember seeing that at the time. I felt like if I move the 5 to my side it would make it harder for him to get at those 2 balls and I might make the shot or hang it. I felt like if I give him the hanger, then I'm eventually going to give him the other two that were in play, maybe that inning.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You are right. He really didn't like that I chose that shot (and voiced his disapproval in a very belittling manner). I felt that I didn't even have to make it for it to be effective, so I chose that shot because I wanted to keep applying pressure on him. I moved enough balls up table like I was supposed to, so that allowed me to play that shot, right?? My first instinct was to make the hanger but I didn't feel like I could play an effective safe. In the pic it looks like you can try to double him up on the bank behind the 5, but I don't remember seeing that at the time. I felt like if I move the 5 to my side it would make it harder for him to get at those 2 balls and I might make the shot or hang it. I felt like if I give him the hanger, then I'm eventually going to give him the other two that were in play, maybe that inning.

what happened after your shot??

youngstown

Verified Member
Wwykd

what happened after your shot??
Oh, I made it (ticky style, not intentional either) then had an easy shot on the 5 to win, then I got a lecture about how it I shouldn't have shot it. I am trying hard to learn and though I was thinking with my head not my cue. I want to learn the right way to play and I really thought it was the thing that would make the table the most difficult for him, but when someone better than you disagrees then you doubt yourself. I wanted a second opinion. Or third...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Oh, I made it (ticky style, not intentional either) then had an easy shot on the 5 to win, then I got a lecture about how it I shouldn't have shot it. I am trying hard to learn and though I was thinking with my head not my cue. I want to learn the right way to play and I really thought it was the thing that would make the table the most difficult for him, but when someone better than you disagrees then you doubt yourself. I wanted a second opinion. Or third...

I think you did the right thing, even if you hadn't made the ticky.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
then I got a lecture about how it I shouldn't have shot it.

What was the shot that he recommended?

The issue with the bank is you might sell out both balls if it clips the bottom of the 7 with enough speed to drive both balls up to your long rail. To get a tickie from here, you would have had to bank the 5 two rails under the 7, I don't see the angle to get a tickie off 1 rail here. Even if you hit it soft enough, he can still bank the 7 most likely if the 5 hangs.

youngstown

Verified Member
We were playing 12-7 (which isn't enough weight btw lol). I had 5 to his idk somewhere between -1 and 1. He thought I should have made his ball and left the cue ball in his pocket, but I saw him banking the 7 over and at least hanging it.

Last edited: