Hall of fame???

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i always like to nominate EARL HEISLER
he played out of the sports palace in new orleans
i was there in there early to mid 1970's but i think he was there from the 1960's to 1980's
im sure he was a road player in the 1950's
i first got hooked on onepocket watching him battle the road players
he played a guy named bugs who i never heard. of ...:eek:..:eek:
being a college student and not into the underground of pooldom
it wasnt until the legend of the road series came out in billiard digest??
did the names of players i saw in my youth come out and explain their legendary status....if i only knew then that i witnessed a part of pool history
that will probably never be repeated,,,,:frus
earl was the feature story of one of those
if anyone has a copy of the magazine with the story id be happy to pay for a copy of the article..:)
on page 274 of shots moves and strategies there is a picture of earl with the caption
"ONE OF THE VERY BEST ONEPOCKET PLAYERS OF ALL TIME"
in reality he may have been a ball or so below the very best ( im old and getting forgetfull but i think rod once told me that)
and when they cooked those boiled shrimp he was familiar with how the table played....;)
he gave action to the players that came thru
so i am formally nominating earl heisler perhaps not the very very best
but one whose name i would not like to see forgotten
if anyone played him or knew of him im always interested in stories
pm me or post
THANKS

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
LSJohn, is being a good sportsman part of the criteria for HOF. I don't remember ever playing Cecil and not having some sort of dispute with him. Not of my making either.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
LSJohn, is being a good sportsman part of the criteria for HOF.

I don't know whether there are firm standards, but I would think so. Maybe a guy's personality would automatically be reflected in the voting.

I don't remember ever playing Cecil and not having some sort of dispute with him. Not of my making either.

I didn't know that about him. I happen to know someone who spent some time with him and has a high opinion of his game, but I don't recall anything ever coming up in our conversations about his personality, honor, character, manners, etc.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I don't know whether there are firm standards, but I would think so. Maybe a guy's personality would automatically be reflected in the voting.

I didn't know that about him. I happen to know someone who spent some time with him and has a high opinion of his game, but I don't recall anything ever coming up in our conversations about his personality, honor, character, manners, etc.

There is no question about his abilities. I played him many times before he had to start shooting left handed.
He never regained his full skills when he had to change hands to play. But I can tell you that he was an excellent player right handed. I continued playing him and put up with his antics because I normally came out ahead.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
i always like to nominate EARL HEISLER
he played out of the sports palace in new orleans
i was there in there early to mid 1970's but i think he was there from the 1960's to 1980's
im sure he was a road player in the 1950's
i first got hooked on onepocket watching him battle the road players
he played a guy named bugs who i never heard. of ...:eek:..:eek:
being a college student and not into the underground of pooldom
it wasnt until the legend of the road series came out in billiard digest??
did the names of players i saw in my youth come out and explain their legendary status....if i only knew then that i witnessed a part of pool history
that will probably never be repeated,,,,:frus
earl was the feature story of one of those
if anyone has a copy of the magazine with the story id be happy to pay for a copy of the article..:)
on page 274 of shots moves and strategies there is a picture of earl with the caption
"ONE OF THE VERY BEST ONEPOCKET PLAYERS OF ALL TIME"
in reality he may have been a ball or so below the very best ( im old and getting forgetfull but i think rod once told me that)
and when they cooked those boiled shrimp he was familiar with how the table played....;)
he gave action to the players that came thru
so i am formally nominating earl heisler perhaps not the very very best
but one whose name i would not like to see forgotten
if anyone played him or knew of him im always interested in stories
pm me or post
THANKS

Larry, Earl is certainly a worthy candidate for the HOF!..I managed to play him to a stand-off, a few times at his home court. (real tough action, given the conditions)..We played several times, and I did get the best of him in Baton Rouge, and a few other places..He was definitely a great player, and a gentleman to gamble with! ;)

Wayne

Verified Member
There is no question about his abilities. I played him many times before he had to start shooting left handed.
He never regained his full skills when he had to change hands to play. But I can tell you that he was an excellent player right handed. I continued playing him and put up with his antics because I normally came out ahead.

I always got along with Cecil. However, I had a close call once. After I had busted Cecil and his backer Cecil hit me up for 40 dollars and a ride home.
Home ended up being a drug house down an alley at Florence and Normandie (where the LA riots started). As he was getting out of the car a gang appeared in the alley in front of the car. Cecil told me to back up and make a u-turn and not to stop for anything. I followed his advise and got to hell out of there. (I don't think I will ever be so dumb again).

Wayne

Verified Member
To Cecil's credit after he had been busted up right handed and learned to play left-handed he had a challenge match with Efren Reyes at Hardtimes around 1994. JJ Jenkins had it on tape and showed me it once. I believe they were playing race to 3 and you had to win 4 sets for some good cash. Efren was up 2 sets and then Cecil won 4 sets in a row. He played flawlessly.

I asked Cecil about it once and he explained how there was always noise in his mind but every once in awhile he would be in "quiet time" where nothing else was going on and at those times he could achieve perfection. He said against Efren he hit one of those times.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
To Cecil's credit after he had been busted up right handed and learned to play left-handed he had a challenge match with Efren Reyes at Hardtimes around 1994. JJ Jenkins had it on tape and showed me it once. I believe they were playing race to 3 and you had to win 4 sets for some good cash. Efren was up 2 sets and then Cecil won 4 sets in a row. He played flawlessly.

I asked Cecil about it once and he explained how there was always noise in his mind but every once in awhile he would be in "quiet time" where nothing else was going on and at those times he could achieve perfection. He said against Efren he hit one of those times.

Wow.

That's IS interesting. Thanks.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Hard Times had a one pocket tournament with a huge trophy around 1990 and the finals were Cecil and Efren. Efren wanted the win and the trophy badly but could not get by Cecil. Most emotion I ever saw out of Efren after a loss.

You had to walk on eggs around Cecil. You might say hello to him when he was hitting balls and he would go off on you for breaking his concentration.

chief

Verified Member

I admit I don't post much but I do follow things here closely and have been a member here a long time. I would like to add to the comments about the standards for the HOF and maybe just something to think about when nominating people. There are guys in our HOF that have done time, are known drug users and have been accused, caught and even suspended for dumping. There is no question of any of their ability, just something to think about since it was mentioned.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
here is a link to an old thread on cecil
stories by freddy /john henderson a/k/a THE CHAMP....:D/sjd/jay helfert to name a few
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1546

Thanks Larry. Good thread.

I never heard that he was called "Serps." (From Cecil the Sea Serpent I guess.)

The only nickname I ever heard for him was "The Left Duke."

I was told he had a saying/warning: "Never shoot until you know where all the balls are going."

If I went by that I couldn't pull the trigger half the time. :p

beatle

Verified Member
i didnt see a thread on nominations. but i think we should push to get all the long gone old timers in since their memories will be gone with the present generation. no hurry or reason to get current pros in it unless they have been around for a few decades and stood the test of time.

what about a father son combo. joey and gary spaeth. they both qualify according to the rules.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
i didnt see a thread on nominations. but i think we should push to get all the long gone old timers in since their memories will be gone with the present generation. no hurry or reason to get current pros in it unless they have been around for a few decades and stood the test of time.

what about a father son combo. joey and gary spaeth. they both qualify according to the rules.

I wasn't lucky enough to be around the pool rooms when Joey was alive but I did watch, play with and hang out quite a bit with Gary and when he was on, I can't ever imagine there was a better player alive. He would point to where the CB was going to land after his shot was over and 98 out of 100 times it would be within a dime of the spot, he had such good control. He was the type of player that if he was practicing or playing someone that he was better than, he would literally perform magic on the table. On that same note, he also could play bad sometimes when playing someone of equal skill or when the pressure was on. (But then again, can't we all?)

That being said, everyone I have talked to who knew them both said that Joey played better without a doubt so I think they are both great nominations for the HOF. Gary is already in the HOF for banks and think he would be a great addition to the 1p HOF as well.

Gary was a friend and an outstanding pool player and I think those who knew him misses him and misses what he did for the game.

baby huey

Verified Member
It's always tough to nominate players who actually played consistently at a very high level for an extended period. Most of the players I would nominate are deceased. But here goes:
- Jack Breit
- Ed Kelly
- Oklahoma Kid (can't remember his name)
- Marvin Henderson

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It's always tough to nominate players who actually played consistently at a very high level for an extended period. Most of the players I would nominate are deceased. But here goes:
- Jack Breit
- Ed Kelly
- Marvin Henderson
Jack Breit
- Ed Kelly
- Marvin Henderson

the 3 players above have already been elected to the hall of fame

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
- Jack Breit
- Ed Kelly
- Marvin Henderson

Glen Womack (Eufaula Kid)