"He's got side boards"

Skin

Verified Member
I heard that expression a couple times during the commentary to a 1p match I watched. I couldn't figure out what it meant by looking at the table. Anybody (everybody but me :eek:) know? Thanks.

onehole365

When a ball is near your pocket and makes the pocket play bigger because a ball can carom off it.

RedCard

Verified Member
Makes sense now. Thanks.

I told a buddy that I was playing some nine-ball with last week that he should shoot a long bank he was overlooking because he had side boards. He looked up at the bar, thinking I was commenting on the pretty but stout day bartender. The ball went and he was properly pleased (I was too because it went in the gash off one of the two balls that were up by the pocket, validating my call).

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I told a buddy that I was playing some nine-ball with last week that he should shoot a long bank he was overlooking because he had side boards. He looked up at the bar, thinking I was commenting on the pretty but stout day bartender. The ball went and he was properly pleased (I was too because it went in the gash off one of the two balls that were up by the pocket, validating my call).

I didn't know what it was until I bought a batch of Accu-Stat tapes in the late 80's. I think it was Mike Massey saying he has a sideboard. I thought he meant the guy was about to take a break and go get something to eat at the buffet or something. We never had used that expression around here, that I can recall...

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I think it is a little sad that some of these gems of the game, these esoteric terms for things that only we players know and understand, are being lost on the newer players. There are many, many pool terms that newer, say players under 60, have never heard or do not recognize. Two that come to mind are, "overcoat" and "carbuncle". Anybody know or care to guess what these two terms mean? Somebody should write "The Comprehensive Lexicon of Pool". Do it before some of these terms are lost forever.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I think it is a little sad that some of these gems of the game, these esoteric terms for things that only we players know and understand, are being lost on the newer players. There are many, many pool terms that newer, say players under 60, have never heard or do not recognize. Two that come to mind are, "overcoat" and "carbuncle". Anybody know or care to guess what these two terms mean? Somebody should write "The Comprehensive Lexicon of Pool". Do it before some of these terms are lost forever.

Maybe that someone should be you Petie. I think it would make for a great book. You would also need to do some research to discover the origin of the phrases you uncover.
Get to work, Buddy! I'll buy one.

Tom

Skin

Verified Member

I forgot about this place, petie. Otherwise I would have checked it for "sideboards" first. Indeed they have the definition. But your terms aren't there. "Cod lock" is there, though. :)

You can submit terms with definitions to them at the site. Maybe you'd like to do that for some of yours. Just a suggestion.

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-terms.asp

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Maybe that someone should be you Petie. I think it would make for a great book. You would also need to do some research to discover the origin of the phrases you uncover.
Get to work, Buddy! I'll buy one.

Tom

I was afraid you, or someone, would say that. I already have a book in mind that will take all my energy as soon as I can get to it. I have other projects that are using me up right now. Skin has a link to a website but it seems too large for anyone to actively read it. One thing that I am proud of can be found in Freddy's book, "The Encyclopedia of Hustlers." My discovery of the origin of the term "Tush Hog" was truly serendipitous.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I forgot about this place, petie. Otherwise I would have checked it for "sideboards" first. Indeed they have the definition. But your terms aren't there. "Cod lock" is there, though. :)

You can submit terms with definitions to them at the site. Maybe you'd like to do that for some of yours. Just a suggestion.

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-terms.asp

"Cod Lock." What a term. I wonder if the "Cod" is used like "Cod Piece," as in the patch of material that covered a man's loin in the middle ages. "Cod Lock" must mean he's got you by the balls.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
"Cod Lock." What a term. I wonder if the "Cod" is used like "Cod Piece," as in the patch of material that covered a man's loin in the middle ages. "Cod Lock" must mean he's got you by the balls.

Or around here its just you got them by the Cods... I've always said and heard the term side boards. And when playing one pocket when you protect your ball by getting behind another ball your putting a alligator in the road...:lol:lol Buddy calls that something else too but i can't recall it right now.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I was afraid you, or someone, would say that. I already have a book in mind that will take all my energy as soon as I can get to it. I have other projects that are using me up right now. Skin has a link to a website but it seems too large for anyone to actively read it. One thing that I am proud of can be found in Freddy's book, "The Encyclopedia of Hustlers." My discovery of the origin of the term "Tush Hog" was truly serendipitous.

Petie, Do you remember the term used when someone commented on smelling a fart? He who smelt it, dealt it. It's kind of like that. You brought it up so you deal with it.

Tom

Skin

Verified Member

In one pocket, a cod lock is an especially undesirable trap from which it appears the opponent threatens to win the ... game.

Roger is great at threading the needle so he'll cod lock that and win the frame.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

I considered it when I got my sociology MA, Petie.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
overcoat: If player A is a better player (usually by a narrow margin) he is an overcoat for B.

Short hairs

Hungarians

Okey doke (we know but not everyone does)

Newspaper man

jar

lemon

"hyacinthe" (misspelled/mispronounced)

juiced

arm

dead punch

dabbin'

dehydrated

RedCard

Verified Member

A carbuncle is a fat bankroll. I think I learned that from Fat's book, 'The Bank Shot And Other Great Robberies'.

Wild guess at 'overcoat' would be a large female pool groupie who just won't leave you alone.

Edit: Wrong about overcoat. I see where it was explained very clearly by LSJohn.

Jar is/was several different chemicals usually introduced to a player's drink to affect his perception, co-ordination or whatever. Whichever chemical it was that was used around here was done so with the understanding that too much could kill you. Don't know if that part is true or not. I'm sure some strong doses were administered and those strong players kept playing, even if not so well.

Jar can be a verb or a noun.

Last edited: