Buddy Hall vs. Jeremy Jones 1998 W.O.P.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Due to the tremendous amount of pm's I've received:rolleyes: asking about the resulting shot that Buddy chose from here, I figured I'd post it up first. Still game 2. This is where JJ left Buddy in the last threads result. What would you do?

JJ's Leave.jpg

JJ's Leave 2.Jpeg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Looks like JJ sure put Buddy in trouble, even though he didn't get a ball that near his hole.

About all I see at the moment would be -- if Buddy could see enough of the edge of the 7-ball to just roll softly off of it.

If he can't see that by the other balls, then maybe roll up behind the ball by his own side pocket -- this would probably be via taking a scratch.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2010-12-11_08-09-08-1.jpg
    Greenshot_2010-12-11_08-09-08-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Greenshot_2010-12-11_08-09-08.jpg
    Greenshot_2010-12-11_08-09-08.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
NH Steve said:
Looks like JJ sure put Buddy in trouble, even though he didn't get a ball that near his hole.

About all I see at the moment would be -- if Buddy could see enough of the edge of the 7-ball to just roll softly off of it.

If he can't see that by the other balls, then maybe roll up behind the ball by his own side pocket -- this would probably be via taking a scratch.

Close. The Buddy I met in '66 would've kicked three rails behind the 12 to make the 15, move the 8 up table and leave shape on the 7.

I'd head for the IHOP.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
IMHO creative choice

IMHO creative choice

NH Steve said:

If he can't see that by the other balls, then maybe roll up behind the ball by his own side pocket -- this would probably be via taking a scratch.[/QUOTE]

If he rolls it to where he snookers him on that 10/15? ball on his side it would give Jeremy something to think about. If we were playing 3 scratches in a row lose the game (which is the only way that I play), I would, if I were Jeremy take a scratch myself and see what he wants to do next. Oftentimes when you do that your oppo panics and sees monsters in his corn flakes, thinking that you maybe have a master plan and will force him to three in a row. Then if I was Buddy and using the same mindset, I would take another one and push the cue ball to where I could make the ball in front of my pocket. Maybe then Jeremy will panic and envisualize the corn flake monsters. It will be very difficult for him to table scratch behind the object ball again, and he might not even attempt it. If he does and succeeds, then I am back in deep trouble again and on two scratches. No matter what, I will still have pushed him 2 more balls away from getting out.

If you play these mind games/shots and act like you know what you are doing you will often get your oppo to underestimate his position.

Beard

Artie was the master at shooting a weak shot into a strong position and getting his oppo to think he had done something much stronger than he did.
Psychology is strong sometimes, ask Ronnie Allen.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
NH Steve said:

If he can't see that by the other balls, then maybe roll up behind the ball by his own side pocket -- this would probably be via taking a scratch.[/QUOTE]

If he rolls it to where he snookers him on that 10/15? ball on his side it would give Jeremy something to think about. If we were playing 3 scratches in a row lose the game (which is the only way that I play), I would, if I were Jeremy take a scratch myself and see what he wants to do next. Oftentimes when you do that your oppo panics and sees monsters in his corn flakes, thinking that you maybe have a master plan and will force him to three in a row. Then if I was Buddy and using the same mindset, I would take another one and push the cue ball to where I could make the ball in front of my pocket. Maybe then Jeremy will panic and envisualize the corn flake monsters. It will be very difficult for him to table scratch behind the object ball again, and he might not even attempt it. If he does and succeeds, then I am back in deep trouble again and on two scratches. No matter what, I will still have pushed him 2 more balls away from getting out.

If you play these mind games/shots and act like you know what you are doing you will often get your oppo to underestimate his position.

Beard

Artie was the master at shooting a weak shot into a strong position and getting his oppo to think he had done something much stronger than he did.
Psychology is strong sometimes, ask Ronnie Allen.
The correct shot is shooting off the edge off the ball and put the cue ball on the side pail were Buddy is standing.

Or you can put the cue ball in the same place that I am talking about by hitting the ball real tin by Buddys side pocket.

The cue ball will be on the rail and the two balls are in line with your pocket. And all the other player has is a combanation on the one ball.

Witch nobory would shoot. Plus thier isnt much Buddys oponent can do from this position.

And Buddys oponent will be in a small trap. Thats the shot. And both ways I said are simple to execuite. What you think Fast Freddy?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Of the shots mentioned so far, I agree with Steve B. and Freddy = Steve's good-thinking shot choice, of rolling behind the striped ball by the side pocket, and Freddy's excellent analysis of that shot's possible future developments...

The only other shot that I see that I might shoot instead, is the 4-rail intentional safety to end up under the 1ball and behind the 8ball - I have/use a system for this exact billiard angle, so I'm comfortable with this shot.

- Ghost

PS, I will teach/show the system for the aforementioned shot angle at the DCC to anybody who wants to know.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
One Pocket Ghost said:
Why oh why aren't there guys like this coming into my poolroom...:(

- Fantasma

They do, you just don't notice because you're too busy get puked on playing all the good players.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Of the shots mentioned so far, I agree with Steve B. and Freddy = Steve's good-thinking shot choice, of rolling behind the striped ball by the side pocket, and Freddy's excellent analysis of that shot's possible future developments...

The only other shot that I see that I might shoot instead, is the 4-rail intentional safety to end up under the 1ball and behind the 8ball - I have/use a system for this exact billiard angle, so I'm comfortable with this shot.

- Ghost

PS, I will teach/show the system for the aforementioned shot angle at the DCC to anybody who wants to know.
Goast I will give you a prop bet. I will let John shoot my two shoots 3 times each and you shoot your two shots 3 times each and see who wins.

Thats if you and John play even. And too show you how poor off shots those are you can get 6 to 5 on every game. The shot that Androd picked would be a better choice.

Androd choice is 2 to one over your two shots .And his shot will get the modt acomplised. Even more then my two shots. But his shot is more risker for a beginner.

But his choice is excelent. And I would have no problem if he shot that shot and I was coaching him.

And he teels me what shot he wants too shoot. I would tell him Ok. But not the two shots you agreed to. The are both terriable and both shoots cost you a ball.

And puts you in a position too be the first player for 3 scratches. And both shots you are helping your oponent. Androd shot he is helping his position and moveing balls away that helped his opponent.

And thier isnt too much that his opponent can do from the position he will leave him in. You did nothing with your 2 shots. And androd did a lot with his dhot and moved balls in his position. Were your shot does nothing with they balls.

And the two shots I said too shoot are strong because the put the other player in a tough setuation. If you cant see that. Then you need to learn too think a little different.

Androd shot is very good. And the shot does a lot . It doesnt do what my two shots would do. But he gets out of trouble and moves the balls in his favor. And thats what his shot will do.

Its better then picking two shots that dont do anything but loose a ball.

Ktown

Verified Member
androd said:
Doesn't look all that tough to me. ;)
Rod.
That was the shot I liked too even though I know the possibility of stepping in doodoo is fairly good as well.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
senor said:
I agree. I think everyone is seeing One Pocket Ghosts in their corn flakes ;)

Not quite senor...they'd be seeing the One Pocket Ghost in their Count Chocula...:D >>>

- Ghost

Attachments

• countchocula.jpg
    countchocula.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Not quite senor...they'd be seeing the One Pocket Ghost in their Count Chocula...:D >>>

- Ghost
Goast are going too come in your goast outfit on at the DCC. So I can recignize you. UNcertainties are for players like you Goast. Not for players that no what they are doing.

You must have had a probability expert. Figure out your angal. I told you Arod picket a good shot out. Be like Jasper the friendly ghost and thank him.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Androd choice is 2 to one over your two shots .And his shot will get the modt acomplised. Even more then my two shots.

But his choice is excelent. And I would have no problem if he shot that shot and I was coaching him.

And thier isnt too much that his opponent can do from the position he will leave him in. And androd did a lot with his dhot and moved balls in his position.

Androd shot is very good. And the shot does a lot . It doesnt do what my two shots would do. But he gets out of trouble and moves the balls in his favor. And thats what his shot will do.

First of all, let me ask you out of curiosity...why are you disputing me about this shot when it was Steve Booth & Freddy who first recommended it? - why aren'e you disputing it with them?...:rolleyes:...

But anyway....Artie.....I will give you several replys to your post/challenge, including a counter-proposal to your challenge - here is my first reply, re. androd's shot that you love so much, and that you are wrong about it being an "excellent shot" here...

androd's shot is not "excellent", it's just an ok shot - because it's just about impossible to execute, as was displayed...

With as far apart as the 7 & 8balls are, and as close to the rail as the 8ball is (1/2 ball off the rail), it's very doubtful, if not impossible, to be able to ticky under the 8ball and get the cueball to end up frozen 1/2 diamond up on the long rail...would you like to bet on executing that shot for starters - I sure would...:)

- Ghost

PS, Whoever shot that shot would probably end up leaving his opponent a cross-corner bank on either the 7, 9, or 12ball.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
First of all, let me ask you out of curiosity...why are you disputing me about this shot when it was Steve Booth & Freddy who first recommended it? - why aren'e you disputing it with them?...:rolleyes:...

But anyway....Artie.....I will give you several replys to your post/challenge, including a counter-proposal to your challenge - here is my first reply, re. androd's shot that you love so much, and that you are wrong about it being an "excellent shot" here...

androd's shot is not "excellent", because it's just about impossible to execute, as displayed...

With as far apart as the 7 & 8balls are, and as close to the rail as the 8ball is (1/2 ball off the rail), it's very doubtful, if not impossible, to be able to ticky under the 8ball and get the cueball to end up frozen 1/2 diamond up on the long rail...would you like to bet on executing that shot for starters - I sure would...:)

- Ghost

PS, Whoever shot that shot would probably end up leaving his opponent a cross-corner bank on either the 7, 9, or 12ball.
I replyed what I seen I didnt pick you out.

I didnt even read all the things that were said in the post before I seen what you said.

I dont pick on individuels. I erplied to the shot. And thats what I reply on. And I gave my opinion on the shot.

And if you want to play from that positionI will play you. WE will play three games each. on your two scratch shots and my two shots.

And on Anrod sho we can play from that position too. And you can pick one off your shots against Androd shot..

I dont no what you are looking at but your not going to get a bank on the 7 9 or 12. Unless its a totale lell out.

I will just play you from that position. But the balls have too be set up cprrectly. THat will be the whole problem. And the eight ball looks to me like it is way off the rail compared too were the 7 ball is.

The only thing different that could happen is the cue ball will be closer too the botom rail. But that will all depend on who the eight ball gets spoted.

Buy the way the white arrows are it looks like the eight ball is at least a ball off the rail. And that is what it would be all about.

And I By not replying two the two shots I picked. I take it you like youre two better. But you got action on those two shots that I said and the two shots you picket.

We dont need to go no further on Arod shot because i no alreadt that you are not going to but the eight ball. The way I see it. And that is the reason why I would shoot that shot. And your not going to get a free bank. Only a give up.

But I no you are going to but the eight ball were thieir is no chance off getting behind the eight ball. You might even freeze the eight ball and then you can say that shot can be done.

Nothing can be done if you set up shot thats inposable. But the two shots I picket are ok against the two shots you picket. Because anrod shot I no will never agree to were the eight ball should be. No sense going through all off that.

And I dont want you feeling like I am picking on you ? Because I am not picking on you. Only the shot. And the way I see the balls Anrod shot is exelent. But if the eight ball lays were you cant go behind it. Then I would not shoot the shot.

BUt he must see the eight ball the same way. I see it. Or else why would he say what he said if he cant get behind the eight ball. But he sees a lot off rome behind the eight ball thats why he picket that shot.

Thats the problem. With these diagrams they are miss leading they way people see the balls. Let me no if you want action on those two shots off yours and my two shots.

And if you want too bet on Anrod shot the eight ball has to be at least one ball off the rail. Or we dont need too go no further on his shot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jtompilot said:
I didnt really like this shot, but The second time I set it up it came out smoken nice:)

Just wondering Jim...how far off the rail did you have the 8ball...:)

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I replyed what I seen I didnt pick you out.

I didnt even read all the things that were said in the post before I seen what you said.

I dont pick on individuels. I erplied to the shot. And thats what I reply on. And I gave my opinion on the shot.

And if you want to play from that positionI will play you. WE will play three games each. on your two scratch shots and my two shots.

And on Anrod sho we can play from that position too. And you can pick one off your shots against Androd shot..

I dont no what you are looking at but your not going to get a bank on the 7 9 or 12. Unless its a totale lell out.

I will just play you from that position. But the balls have too be set up cprrectly. THat will be the whole problem. And the eight ball looks to me like it is way off the rail compared too were the 7 ball is.

The only thing different that could happen is the cue ball will be closer too the botom rail. But that will all depend on who the eight ball gets spoted.

Buy the way the white arrows are it looks like the eight ball is at least a ball off the rail. And that is what it would be all about.

And I By not replying two the two shots I picked. I take it you like youre two better. But you got action on those two shots that I said and the two shots you picket.

We dont need to go no further on Arod shot because i no alreadt that you are not going to but the eight ball. The way I see it. And that is the reason why I would shoot that shot. And your not going to get a free bank. Only a give up.

But I no you are going to but the eight ball were thieir is no chance off getting behind the eight ball. You might even freeze the eight ball and then you can say that shot can be done.

Nothing can be done if you set up shot thats inposable. But the two shots I picket are ok against the two shots you picket. Because anrod shot I no will never agree to were the eight ball should be. No sense going through all off that.

And I dont want you feeling like I am picking on you ? Because I am not picking on you. Only the shot. And the way I see the balls Anrod shot is exelent. But if the eight ball lays were you cant go behind it. Then I would not shoot the shot.

BUt he must see the eight ball the same way. I see it. Or else why would he say what he said if he cant get behind the eight ball. But he sees a lot off rome behind the eight ball thats why he picket that shot.

Thats the problem. With these diagrams they are miss leading they way people see the balls. Let me no if you want action on those two shots off yours and my two shots.

And if you want too bet on Anrod shot the eight ball has to be at least one ball off the rail. Or we dont need too go no further on his shot.
You put a tecknacality in the shot. Whats the big deal. Put the 8 ball a ball and a half off the rail its the shot that matters.

And what I am hering from you is that if the eight balll was a ball and a half off the rail you would shoot the shot. Is that what you are saying?

And I will shoot my two shots against the two shots you picket. And will shoot every shot 3 times thats 12 games. And we will see who wins. If you dont like that.No big deal.And I am still looking for a probability expert.

I sisnt no they were so scarce. But I will shoot Anrod shot If the eight ball is one ball off the rail. And the 7 and eight ball are not close together. They are a dimond apart.