New approach?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Played it today.
It worked out about like it should have, except I lost both games and was a minus 3 money balls after both games.
I played a guy I give 9/7 so we played our games 27/21. I lost the first 21/17 and the second 21/22.
Both games were interesting throughout the 15 ball rack and the format does work, neither of us pushed balls uptable.
But it's not something that's ever going to replace the traditional way we play one pocket. But it was different and kinda fun even though I lost.

baby huey

Verified Member
You guys might think I'm kidding but when I was a young, some old guys in our pool hall played a game called, "Oklahoma Straight Pool." John Henderson kinda mentioned it a bit in his thread. Only variation is that you didn't break conventionally except for the first break and saved the last ball and played the cue ball from where it stopped. Frequently this game was played to 25 points (balls.)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Played it today.
It worked out about like it should have, except I lost both games and was a minus 3 money balls after both games.
I played a guy I give 9/7 so we played our games 27/21. I lost the first 21/17 and the second 21/22.
Both games were interesting throughout the 15 ball rack and the format does work, neither of us pushed balls uptable.
But it's not something that's ever going to replace the traditional way we play one pocket. But it was different and kinda fun even though I lost.

jeff thanks for sharing your experience
its interesting that in the 2nd game your opponent "won" by getting to his number first but he still had to pay you for one ball
i came to that conclusion because you said you were a minus 3 money ball
you lost by 4 balls the first game and were ahead by one in the second game
4-1=3
icbw

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
Ive been working out the fine details for a handicapped monthly tournament at our room for a couple months now.

The option i am for is the long count way, players go to a set number based on their rating, play all the balls down per rack . alternate break (unless its part of the weaker players spot). 46 point maximum balls count combined (3 racks max played).

The thing i like most about this format is that it involves all phases of the game... opening,middle and end. I feel its a little easier to handicap also.

The 14.One pocket version is also interesting but i dont think it is better in this(my) scenario....unless... the last ball gets put on the head spot, qball stays where it lays.
i might use this for if it goes to the third rack and both players already got to break once.

beatle

Verified Member
be prepared for a long tournament then. playing all games out takes a long time especially for weak players that tick them up table all the time thinking thats the way to play.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
I would have the weaker (even) matches C and D level..only play to like 2 racks worth max, like 15 balls to win. I couldnt/ wouldnt make them go to a full 23 each to win.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
be prepared for a long tournament then. playing all games out takes a long time especially for weak players that tick them up table all the time thinking thats the way to play.

The games will be extremely slow, and the better players will rule.
A guy that can spot 10/7 will easily win 30/19 or 18. IMO

beatle

Verified Member
your totally right rod. the better players will win easily as it favors them so much more. and what happens in small local tournaments when the better players all finish in the top order the lousy players stop coming as much.

the secret to tournaments is to have them so everyone has a chance to get in the money. not always win but to collect something.

the best players always cry about it but they end up taking the lions share of the prize anyway.