Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Verified Member

Default Mostly for the Old Timers

Efren Reyes and Shannon Daulton
Galveston World Classic

(Especially game 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Hp776RAe7yo

I discovered that if I watch this before I go to bed on Saturday night, it cuts down on my medication... especially the blue pills.

You're welcome.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Verified Member

Those are some fantastic matches.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Verified Member

Nice find. This was a good match. But to me, the big story was this TV table. It was probably as fast as I've ever seen a table. There was no table light, but there were numerous very hot overhead lamps which kept the table super dry --like linoleum-- placed above a steep close bleacher arena. In the regular tournament table area, the tables were slower and played shorter due to the natural humidity in Galveston.

So in contrast, the TV table caused most players quite a bit of adjustment time. There were a couple of guys who never could adjust.

The event itself was one of the best I'd ever been to in terms of spaciousness, equipment, viewer bleachers, accessibility and accoutrements-- even better than the DCC. Unfortunately the promoter spent so much money on it that he couldn't pull the trigger for a successive annual event.

~Doc
Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Verified Member

I took Ronnie Allen to the event in Galveston. Not a good week for me. I went two and out the tournament and then I went off like a rocket to Artie B and Billy I.

The promoters tried to put on a top event and were expecting a much bigger crowd than they got. The Filipino champions were there along with most of the top women players. They built a large grandstand area for the spectators that did not come. There is a large Filipino community in Galveston and they thought they would fill the place up. The tournament itself was great with Efren winning the one pocket, Ronnie Alcano the 9 ball and Ga Young Kim the women’s.

Ronnie did not bite me all week and I was pretty happy about that until I checked out of the room. R A found out you could charge drinks and meals to the room and my bill was $400+ more than I expected. I was pretty pissed, but by the time we got to the airport, I bought him lunch and gave him a little more.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Verified Member

There! Another good pool story from a senior citizen. Thanks, John. Better cough 'em up, guys. It's later than you think.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros View Post
There! Another good pool story from a senior citizen. Thanks, John. Better cough 'em up, guys. It's later than you think.
Thank Bill, I like to test my memory and do pretty well, especially remembering the times I went off.

The Galveston tournament was in September and I got lucky and got my money back at Derby City a few months later, beating Artie and Harry Platis. Artie and I played over 16 hours without a break. I won, but I was dead for two days and had to forfeit my tournament matches.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
I discovered that if I watch this before I go to bed on Saturday night, it cuts down on my medication... especially the blue pills.

You're welcome.
These?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakynito View Post
These?

Well, I must admit that Shannon's recovery shots from traps Efren kept putting him in made me "swell" with pride for him. My wife said to pass along her thanks to Shannon.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Verified Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
Efren Reyes and Shannon Daulton
Galveston World Classic

(Especially game 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Hp776RAe7yo

You're welcome.
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing, two great champions going head to head, awesome video, one of the best one pocket matches I've seen, congratulations Shannon on a great win.

John
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 PM
Verified Member

Louie V. was one of the promoters of this event. He expressed great sorrow in that the tournament lost a bunch of money... We played on the same league 8 ball team a couple of years ago and thatís when this conversation came up... He invited me to his home to play some one pocket, and he had several pics from the Galveston tournament in his man cave... I asked about them, and he told me the whole story about how he and some others organized it and promoted it... Sad that it didnít get better support, but pool has always been a tough sell to the public...

What a match! Thanks John for sharing the link, great moves and some very good escapes by Shannon...