Lee Van Corteza vs. C. Joyner 2013 D.C.C.

bernie p

Verified Member
This is one nasty spot to be in......

Not too many options here.

I believe I would attempt to fram the 8 into the 15, hoping to clear them....and run the cue to the end rail.

Bernie.

Cloidius

Verified Member
think you gotta go. 9.

I agree with you here. I think the angle might allow for a gentle stroke to carom the cue off of the 3, so that it nestles up to the 7, 14, 13 wall. With the right speed, to not sell out the cross, you can really focus on sticking the cue ball there.

However, I dont think you really want to make the 9 here. If you can lay it in your hole, or down on the foot rail, while you've stuck whitey to the wall, your man will have virtually no option but to move the nine, possibly earning you a better look at his hole.

Last edited:

backplaying

Verified Member
It would take a great shot, but he can shoot the 5 into the left side of the 8 moving the 15 also. Offensively, I would shoot the 9, and it might be easier than the defensive shot.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
This one is not that hard at all. You just donate a ball to him to be on the safe side and shoot hard enough not a leave a bank on that stripe that you are caroming off of, and force follow on down to the end rail. Well worth a ball to get out of this entrapment..

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I see a shot, I will put up 2 variations of it, depending on how it lays exactly.

Shoot straight into the 4 ball, 4 ball into the 15 and force the cb past the 6 and 8. Or, it may lay to where he can shoot straigt into the 4 ball, 4 ball slightly cuts the 10 (10 then does some very good damage for you), and 4 goes into the 15 (maybe after 1 rail, or off the 8), force white forward. Another, perhaps less likely variation could be to force forward off the 4 after a little billiard on the 5.

If I can see the whole 8 here, I am def shooting Bernie's shot though.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I agree with you here. I think the angle might allow for a gentle stroke to carom the cue off of the 3, so that it nestles up to the 7, 14, 13 wall. With the right speed, to not sell out the cross, you can really focus on sticking the cue ball there.

However, I dont think you really want to make the 9 here. If you can lay it in your hole, or down on the foot rail, while you've stuck whitey to the wall, your man will have virtually no option but to move the nine, possibly earning you a better look at his hole.

That's what I am looking at too. Just enough speed to make sure the 9 reaches the bottom rail. I see Cliff already owes one, but don't know if he is actually on a scratch or not. Definitely don't want to get on two scratches here.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would slow roll to the 9 and hit it full in the face and settle the CB on those three blockers. Take a scratch but don't sell out the game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I see a pretty good clear out shot on second look. Of course no telling how it actually ends up, but I am pretty sure some good things would happen, due to the carom angle on the 4-10 -- along with the potential for some bad, lol. But a hard strike on the 4 definitely sends the 10 into balls toward Cliff's pocket, and it looks like the carom angle on the 4 sends it down to clear out the 15. If you in addition, hit the 4 a little on the right side (shooter's perspective), then the cue ball drives into the 5-ball for sure, also banking it in the direction of Cliff's pocket. A lot happening that you can't control of course, but definitely some balls moving toward your side!

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-03-21_07-38-40.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-03-21_07-38-40.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 0

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I see a pretty good clear out shot on second look. Of course no telling how it actually ends up, but I am pretty sure some good things would happen, due to the carom angle on the 4-10 -- along with the potential for some bad, lol. But a hard strike on the 4 definitely sends the 10 into balls toward Cliff's pocket, and it looks like the carom angle on the 4 sends it down to clear out the 15. If you in addition, hit the 4 a little on the right side (shooter's perspective), then the cue ball drives into the 5-ball for sure, also banking it in the direction of Cliff's pocket. A lot happening that you can't control of course, but definitely some balls moving toward your side!

That's the first shot that I saw. I've been trying to talk myself into it since then lol, but I don't like where the cue end up if you don't make a ball. In the end I'm going with Bernie's shot, which is still no gimme but a safer choice IMO.

8andout

Verified Member
Heres a variation of Steves shot. Hit the 5 ball first and carom the cue off the 4 towards his pocket. Could stratch. This would require a high degree of expertise.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If I'm gonna screw up shooting at someones pocket, It's gonna be mine.
Rod.
P.S. Of course I can pay off and start another game. I don't do tourneys.:p

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Not a nice place but I see several options.

A fairly safe one would be a slight masse to hit the rail behind the 8 ball and park the cue ball on or near the rail. Not a hard shot at all.

If you have a clear view of the 8 ball then a removal shot is a good option.

If you are thinking about shooting the 9 ball there will be little reward if you make it.

Better to cut the 3 ball with a much better chance of getting an open shot if you make it.

Bill S.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Bottom line: you either gotta go or you gotta try a pocketectomy. There are no other options here that are reasonable.

Aside: Pocketectomy is the single greatest term I have learned on this site ;).

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is one nasty spot to be in......

Not too many options here.

I believe I would attempt to fram the 8 into the 15, hoping to clear them....and run the cue to the end rail.

Bernie.

Very good Fish, you win a cookie:). You're really getting too good at this Bernie:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXA338ro1mo[/ame]

Cliff hit it good and it came out fairly well:

cj's shot.jpg

He left it here for L.V.C.:

cj's leave1.jpg

cj's leave2.jpg