Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 03:03 AM
Verified Member

Default Thanks to 1P.org

I would like to thank Steve for an outstanding event for us and onepocket.org and thank you to California Billiards for hosting this event. The food was great and the support staff is outstanding.

WOW, what an event. I can honestly say everyone that participated in this event is very special in their own way. I enjoyed seeing my old roommate Dave Gross, Frank Da Barber, Robert, and everyone else. The new guys are also great, Mitch, Howard, Nick P, and look out for the new young gun Chris that I gambled with. Not only does he shoot super straight, but heís a super nice guy. My wife also enjoyed meeting the great gang of nice guys that make onepocket.org tournaments a special event not to be missed.

I donít know if anyone else had this problem but I had a severe case of nerves. My legs and arms were shaking. I was battling myself all the way through. My wife was there to help me and a few words of encouragement from others helped out. Maybe we need a few other tournaments during the year so we can get our tournament legs. Almost every match went hill-hill added to the the excitement.

I would like to apologize to Jerry. I donít remember what time we started the last game but I was so tired and not thinking straight, I started the last game and Jerry was still in the restroom. The other thing that came up was laying down the cue to line up a shot. I remember that being a foul for almost as long as Iíve been playing pool. I was not about to call a foul on that but brought it up after the fact to get a ruling on that in the future.

That was one great pool room. Thanks again to everyone.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I would like to thank Steve for an outstanding event for us and onepocket.org and thank you to California Billiards for hosting this event. The food was great and the support staff is outstanding.

WOW, what an event. I can honestly say everyone that participated in this event is very special in their own way. I enjoyed seeing my old roommate Dave Gross, Frank Da Barber, Robert, and everyone else. The new guys are also great, Mitch, Howard, Nick P, and look out for the new young gun Chris that I gambled with. Not only does he shoot super straight, but heís a super nice guy. My wife also enjoyed meeting the great gang of nice guys that make onepocket.org tournaments a special event not to be missed.

I donít know if anyone else had this problem but I had a severe case of nerves. My legs and arms were shaking. I was battling myself all the way through. My wife was there to help me and a few words of encouragement from others helped out. Maybe we need a few other tournaments during the year so we can get our tournament legs. Almost every match went hill-hill added to the the excitement.

I would like to apologize to Jerry. I donít remember what time we started the last game but I was so tired and not thinking straight, I started the last game and Jerry was still in the restroom. The other thing that came up was laying down the cue to line up a shot. I remember that being a foul for almost as long as Iíve been playing pool. I was not about to call a foul on that but brought it up after the fact to get a ruling on that in the future.

That was one great pool room. Thanks again to everyone.
You played great, roomie. Conratulations on a great win. Until next time...

Enjoy the rest of your travels - be safe.
Dave
Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
The other thing that came up was laying down the cue to line up a shot. I remember that being a foul for almost as long as Iíve been playing pool. I was not about to call a foul on that but brought it up after the fact to get a ruling on that in the future.
That's correct Jim. I noticed a couple of players doing that, but assumed that the rule was not being enforced. Here's the WPA rule:

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table

If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

I know that the rule is in effect at the DCC. Shannon Daulton used to lay his stick on the table while sighting a shot once in awhile. I thought if I ever had the misfortune of drawing him, that I might be able to use that rule against him-- since I'd have no chance to beat him anyway...

~Doc
Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Verified Member

Great job to all involved in making it happen! Organizers, pool room ownership, staff, and members. You all worked together to make another enjoyable event and again cast a shining light on 1p.org!!!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Verified Member

So if you lay your stick on the table, but keep your hand on it, that would be ok? We played the first round Jim and you gave me plenty of opportunities to win. My shooting was not the best that day but I had a lot of fun seeing everyone. As usual, I missed the finals because I need my beauty rest. I hope everyone who was there had as much fun as I did and I got to play on my old home court as a bonus.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Verified Member

I wish I could have been there! Great job again Jim and Jerry and all the other finalists and players!

PS - I never knew about that rule...good to know!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
So if you lay your stick on the table, but keep your hand on it, that would be ok? We played the first round Jim and you gave me plenty of opportunities to win. My shooting was not the best that day but I had a lot of fun seeing everyone. As usual, I missed the finals because I need my beauty rest. I hope everyone who was there had as much fun as I did and I got to play on my old home court as a bonus.
Yes, Bill, as long as you keep your hand on the stick it is ok. I think that rule is kind of like the very old rule of "no marking of the table" -- which also includes placing a chalk at a spot on the rail you want to contact -- that would be a foul too.

It is not part of our One Pocket rules, but it is part of the wpa general rules, which we reference right at the top of our rules. I mean it would be totally unnecessary and redundant for our One Pocket rules to try to cover all the usual general rule issues -- that's why we reference the wpa. So we would need to specifically waive that rule if we wanted to -- or just informally let your opponent do it in your own match if you wanted to, for friendlies sake. But the rule is right there in black and white in the wpa general rules.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Yes, Bill, as long as you keep your hand on the stick it is ok. I think that rule is kind of like the very old rule of "no marking of the table" -- which also includes placing a chalk at a spot on the rail you want to contact -- that would be a foul too.

It is not part of our One Pocket rules, but it is part of the wpa general rules, which we reference right at the top of our rules. I mean it would be totally unnecessary and redundant for our One Pocket rules to try to cover all the usual general rule issues -- that's why we reference the wpa. So we would need to specifically waive that rule if we wanted to -- or just informally let your opponent do it in your own match if you wanted to, for friendlies sake. But the rule is right there in black and white in the wpa general rules.
I know of another rule that was brought up recently and that was catching a ball in the pocket with your hand. I caught myself starting to do it in one of my matches. Marking the table, laying sticks, catching the balls is something we should all be aware of if we want a purist type of organization. But thatís just me. Thanks for the info. Did you have fun or what? Whereís the photos?
Old 06-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
I know of another rule that was brought up recently and that was catching a ball in the pocket with your hand. I caught myself starting to do it in one of my matches. Marking the table, laying sticks, catching the balls is something we should all be aware of if we want a purist type of organization. But thatís just me. Thanks for the info. Did you have fun or what? Whereís the photos?
Looking forward to those as well!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Verified Member

Thanks Steve and Chris for a great place to have a fun and challenging OnePocket tournament.
This was my first .org tournament and being a newbie I have little to complain about. Fact is I had a great time and for someone that goes to bed early and early rise on a daily bases I found myself up late every night, 1 or 2 am. It was not because I was playing well and winning money, instead I lost my ass in everything I did, but had a great time.
John took the time to teach me how to play golf and Billy must of seen all the fun I was having and had to get some. I played pool 11 to 12 hours straight each day and did not want to stop. The tournament seems to be for members that come to participate, how it plays out for members to view on stream, well secondary. Several members like Nick, John, Kevin, Chris, Billy, Frank, Walt and many I canít remember thier names give me good advice and great encouragement when I would make a descent shot or gin a two railer or bank on the 6x12 snooker table. This tournament renewed life in pool that has been lost for some time. I witnessed your truly a brotherhood, an unselfish bunch of guys All pitching in to make this happen. You have my vote...... knuckles