Richie Richeson?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I watched a little bit of Richie playing Josh Roberts at the Space City tournament. With all the talk about who’s a top ten player, past and present, I was wondering where Richie would have been in his prime. I did play Richie once at a tournament many years ago in Kalamazoo and got smoked but that’s about all I really know of him.

Was he ever as good as players like 1P Rich or Wayne in Santa Monica or Piano Man in Baltimore, guys like that? Or maybe as good as Evan Lunda is now?
Just curious what some of you guys think.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I watched a little bit of Richie playing Josh Roberts at the Space City tournament. With all the talk about who’s a top ten player, past and present, I was wondering where Richie would have been in his prime. I did play Richie once at a tournament many years ago in Kalamazoo and got smoked but that’s about all I really know of him.

Was he ever as good as players like 1P Rich or Wayne in Santa Monica or Piano Man in Baltimore, guys like that? Or maybe as good as Evan Lunda is now?

IMO he is better than Wayne or Rich and they are both good players. Doubt he could beat Lunda now that Evan is a rising star, but Richie has gambled with top players with a little weight for a long time and given them all they want.

I have not heard about him in much action lately, but he can play. You are liable to see him in action at Derby City.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
IMO he is better than Wayne or Rich and they are both good players. Doubt he could beat Lunda now that Evan is a rising star, but Richie has gambled with top players with a little weight for a long time and given them all they want.

I have not heard about him in much action lately, but he can play. You are liable to see him in action at Derby City.

He was never the same player after he lost his playing cue to his exwife on divorse court. And I'm serious. I saw him last in maybe 2007 at DCC and he told me this.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I have several one-pocket match videos and he could definitely play - I always liked to watch him. In '96 he beat Grady Mathews and in '98 he beat Steve Cook. Reyes beat him in one, and Shannon Daulton beat him twice. Fearless opponent.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Rich in LA, before he quit playing, 10+ years ago, would play any top pro. He could move and shoot with the best of them. Richie probably has the edge in heart and gamble. Tough one because Rich beat Efrin with a ball at Santa Monica. Rich used to play anytime Efrin was in LA. He is a fun guy and his wife doesn’t miss. I gave her 9/7 and it was the worst shellacking ever at Santa Monica. Ooooouch.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Richie R plays with the toughness of a bulldog. He always seems to be in action at DCC -- in fact one year he was the "Louie Roberts Award" winner for action.

Jim McCary

Verified Member
I played Richie in a tournament in Houston about 2 years ago at Boogies in a race to 4. He won the flip of the coin, broke, made one on the break and ran out. I broke, did not make one, he kicked across the short rail into the stack and made one and ran out 8. He broke, made one and ran 8. In a race to 4, I am down 3 games and have got to break one time. In the 4th game, I have him down 7 to 0, I double kiss a bank and he runs 8. That my friends is a good old fashion ass kicking.

Jim

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Richie Richeson?

I played Richie in a tournament in Houston about 2 years ago at Boogies in a race to 4. He won the flip of the coin, broke, made one on the break and ran out. I broke, did not make one, he kicked across the short rail into the stack and made one and ran out 8. He broke, made one and ran 8. In a race to 4, I am down 3 games and have got to break one time. In the 4th game, I have him down 7 to 0, I double kiss a bank and he runs 8. That my friends is a good old fashion ass kicking.

Jim

Damn. That’s pretty strong.

Wayne

Verified Member
Rich in LA, before he quit playing, 10+ years ago, would play any top pro. He could move and shoot with the best of them. Richie probably has the edge in heart and gamble. Tough one because Rich beat Efrin with a ball at Santa Monica. Rich used to play anytime Efrin was in LA. He is a fun guy and his wife doesn’t miss. I gave her 9/7 and it was the worst shellacking ever at Santa Monica. Ooooouch.

Richard has been back playing for about 4 months (after a 3+ year break). He had developed a hitch before he quit playing and it was badly affecting his game. He no longer has the hitch. We are just waiting for action players to show up in Santa Monica.

jay helfert

Verified Member

As much as I like Wayne and appreciate Rich's game, they would both be slight underdogs to Richie imo. Richie has an higher top speed and is a far more experienced high stakes gambler. Get the bet up there in the stratosphere and he becomes a big favorite. I'm not sure if Richie still plays at that same high level though. He may be past his prime now.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Wayne and/or Rich from Santa Monica could play Richie even for smaller bets,(no disrespect to Wayne or Rich) but for serious cash Richie Richeson plays pretty sporty. I watched him play Cliff Joyner a few years back with 8/7 and 10/8 and play pretty well. They were betting 5K and it went Rich's way that day.

keoneyo

Verified Member
The reason One Pocket Rich and Tall Wayne might be under the level of the likes of Richeson, and this might make some sense to you OPorg members, is that they dont make their living off the felt. Rich has 3 kids one going to College. Wayne has a daughter with a grandson. They are the support systems for their families and run 2 successful business' as well.
They might not have the experience to play in some high stakes games but unlike many who do make their money playing pool can stake themselves to any amount if they so desired.
You make your choices in life.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Mrs One Pocket Rich

Mrs One Pocket Rich

Me and Jenny Lee (480x640).jpg

When she is not at the Salon getting a facial or manicure shes barking

BRLongArm

Verified Member

Two or three years ago, Josh was giving Richie 9/8-8/7, Chip was giving him 9/8 and Joey was giving him 9/8. They were all beating him. None of those guys could give Lunda 9/8 and win. I think Richie's moving and banking were elite, but what kept him from being in the discussion of the best was his ball running. He has never been an elite ball runner. That was true in 1992 when I first saw him in New Orleans and nothing has changed.