The hustler 1961

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
A few weeks back I recorded the classic pool movie "THE HUSTLER" starring Paul Newman, George C. Scott and Jackie Gleason as the fictional character "Minnasotta Fatts.

It was this movie that inspired so many pool player hustler wannabe's, including myself back in the sixties.

It inspired so many to try to be Fast Eddie Felson of their generation.

It created a character that was bigger than life and pure Legend. The Fatman!

Rudolf Wanderone assumed the identity of the Fatman and he fit the mold to a Tee!

Formerly known as New York Fats, I started an exhition with him in Johnston City in 1971! It was pretty cool of Fat's to single me out to kick off his exhibition that evening on the eve of the Johnston City tourney.

He quickly brushed me aside and started his Tall Tales of pool lore out on the road. He soon had most of the Fast Eddie wannnabe's sitting in the stands to hear his tales of eating the whole turkey at an all you could eat joint. LOL

I can't remember every tale he told, but it was so cool to be at that moment in time and be a small part of it. I laughed the whole time of his B.S. PERFORMANCE that only he could deliver! Good memories.

I was 19 years old and absolutely on top of my game, fresh off revenge games with Tall Jeff and Freddie the Beard.

I could have played anyone in the world nine ball or one pocket and had a punchers chance to win. Life was good for a time back in the day of The Hustler.

If for some reason some of you fellow heathens (LMAO) haven't seen this movie you may want to watch it and see the classic that inspired so many to play the game including me!

I have to tip my hat to the Fatman for he has WALKED WITH GIANTS.

WATCH THE MOVIE

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Better yet, read the books too! Both of them. They are both well written.

:D

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I went to College in Owensboro Ky and I thought p-o-o-l all day long. They had a pool table in the rec room and someone said there was a school teacher that liked to play nine ball. I played, I lost to some guy that was later the toast of Miller Lite, Steve Mizerak. But he told me about Johnston City. He said I would love it and how could you not. Every player from all over the country jammed packed into a couple of barns set up for pool. Ring game for $10 a man six players and you might not see a turn for many games. RA spotting Jersey Red for $5000. And more side action than you could ever hope for. 67-68 were the two years I got to go. Then Vietnam was calling all us young kids
Play someone? You kidding, I was high from being there.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I went to College in Owensboro Ky and I thought p-o-o-l all day long. They had a pool table in the rec room and someone said there was a school teacher that liked to play nine ball. I played, I lost to some guy that was later the toast of Miller Lite, Steve Mizerak. But he told me about Johnston City. He said I would love it and how could you not. Every player from all over the country jammed packed into a couple of barns set up for pool. Ring game for $10 a man six players and you might not see a turn for many games. RA spotting Jersey Red for $5000. And more side action than you could ever hope for. 67-68 were the two years I got to go. Then Vietnam was calling all us young kids
Play someone? You kidding, I was high from being there.
great post
hope you are feeling better
larry