Cooney Vs Joyner

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im going to show some innings from this match .its 3-2 cliff ahead in games
cooney breaks makes one on the break runs seven and here is his position on game ball
cj1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cliff makes the five and knocks the 9 in the side and proceeds to run out make joyners hanger and follow the q in :D :eek:
so now there are 3 on the spot and its cooneys shot ball score 7-5 cooney after he had game ball on his stick
cj3.jpg
cj4.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
3 balls on the spot
cooney played conservative
this after cooneys shot.
joyners turn
what do you do now??
cj5.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
14 into the 1 banking the 1 into the side rail and out to the middle of the table.

Cue ball off the side rail and freeze on the end rail near C pocket

Same shot but just draw the cue ball to the end rail near C pocket.

Pretty basic shot.

Bill Stroud

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
bstroud said:
14 into the 1 banking the 1 into the side rail and out to the middle of the table.

Cue ball off the side rail and freeze on the end rail near C pocket

Same shot but just draw the cue ball to the end rail near C pocket.

Pretty basic shot.

Bill Stroud

I like that shot but I'd put the CB by my opponents pocket.:D
Rod.

bstroud

Verified Member
I like the end rail because you can hit it a little harder and avoid any chance of a scratch.

Kind of a cross between a draw and a stun will keep the 14 closer to the center of the table.

Bill S.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well cliff decided to cross the 9 to his side and move the q up table
heres how he left it
cj7.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cooney banked the 10 (middle stripe)and hung it up
cliff tried to dig it out which he did but left cooney a bank on the 14 which he made and finally won the game:eek:
cj7.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice series of pics, Larry. That was a great match, with Cliff in his prime. The video is a wonderful testament to the prowess of Cooney: he never once looked like a top player. What a great natural hustler he was! He must have been lethal to try to get away from.;)

Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
gulfportdoc said:
Nice series of pics, Larry. That was a great match, with Cliff in his prime. The video is a wonderful testament to the prowess of Cooney: he never once looked like a top player. What a great natural hustler he was! He must have been lethal to try to get away from.;)

Doc
A few years ago when one of the local players was in his prime, some cowboy showed up in Gilroy looking for nine ball action. We drove over there for a quick buck. The first set the guy showed little speed and a short stroke. Ok we lose the first one but we're in the game if we get a roll or two. Next set. The guy showed more speed and let out some shaft. Well not one to go home without giving it all, we played the third set. Now the pool is hot and heavy. Perfect speed, location, and plenty of shaft. Number Three set down. Next set we asked for a little spot and got it. Was it any closer? NO. Who was that masked man? You guessed it. The most unknown, best hustler to drop in town. Jack Clooney Nice guy too.

bstroud

Verified Member
Joyner shot the wrong shot and gave C a chance to win the game.

If he had shot the correct shot if would have been much more difficult for C to win.

Bill Stroud

Viffer

Verified Member
it might not be the wrongg shot look at all the banking lanes, and ball psition clif needing 3 kept all balls in play and left coney in a tough spot i think its actualyy a geat shot needng 3

bstroud

Verified Member
He left a simple bank. Not smart.

If he shoots the correct shot C will need to make a very good shot to not leave J a chance to win the game.

Sometimes in one pocket you just need to wait for a better opportunity.

Bill Stroud

Viffer

Verified Member
at first when i saw the shot that people think are th e corect shot i thought it was a no braner and its the shot i would shoot, but looking at cliffs choice im not convinced its bad.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lets ask a rhetorical question
if you could leave your opponent needing one ball
would you rather have him shoot a long one rail bank starting from the end rail
OR
a middle distance cross corner bank
personally id rather leave him on the end rail
just my personal opinion

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
bstroud said:
Joyner shot the wrong shot and gave C a chance to win the game.

If he had shot the correct shot if would have been much more difficult for C to win.

Bill Stroud
I think most here are in agreement that the shot that you like is the correct shot. You say you prefer to leave the cue ball on the short rail and a couple of us say the best place to leave the cue ball is on the long rail next to his pocket.

The only banks you could possible leave is a long straight back or a difficult two railer. Leaving the cue on the shot rail would leave a better angle for the straight back if he chooses to shoot one. From the long rail any straight back becomes much more difficult and very unlikely that he would opt to go offensive.

Your reasoning to go to the short rail was because it's easier to control the cue ball to that location but I don't see much of a problem to take it to the long rail. Don't you agree that the long rail is the best spot for the cue ball if it can be taken there with out much risk? I don't think it would take much power to take the two ball to the other side of the table. Scratching is the risk that you mentioned.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Frank Almanza said:
I think most here are in agreement that the shot that you like is the correct shot. You say you prefer to leave the cue ball on the short rail and a couple of us say the best place to leave the cue ball is on the long rail next to his pocket.

The only banks you could possible leave is a long straight back or a difficult two railer. Leaving the cue on the shot rail would leave a better angle for the straight back if he chooses to shoot one. From the long rail any straight back becomes much more difficult and very unlikely that he would opt to go offensive.

Your reasoning to go to the short rail was because it's easier to control the cue ball to that location but I don't see much of a problem to take it to the long rail. Don't you agree that the long rail is the best spot for the cue ball if it can be taken there with out much risk? I don't think it would take much power to take the two ball to the other side of the table. Scratching is the risk that you mentioned.
frank you make very good points and im curious to hear bills reply.
in my post i was thinking of the distance and contrasting that with where cliff left jack with the cue ball in the middle part of the table and not up table
i know im one of the "most of us agree "that the shot bill likes is the one.
for what its worth you convinced me about where to leave the cue ball
on the long rail

Last edited: