Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Verified Member

also if you have played back to front you would know the break for that game. and use that against someone you way out move as long as you are better up table than him. like two railers and long railers.

i like that break when stalling against a player as the game turns into one ball at a time. play to tie up balls rather than to spread them out on your side. this also destroys the shooter type player as it makes the game slow down and he loses patience and gives away lots of games. but beware that he will tend to quit sooner as he gets to see the light.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
Makes total sense to me, thanks I never looked at it that way. In regard to playing an up table game.

Bill Incardona
A long time ago, the very first time I played JJ, I won because of a number of reasons, one of the main reasons I only needed 6 and the games I won rarely went too deep into the ball count. The second time I played him, I felt like I was knocking balls up table for the first 2 hours of our match. Every shot I had was either against the stack or beneath the stack.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:41 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor View Post
Darmoose,

Some clichés and other food for thought for you...
- The best move in one pocket is eight and out.
- In general, the first one to make eight balls wins.
- The best defense is a good offense.
- By their definition, pocket billiard games require pocketing balls.
- The squeeze is valuable, but eventually you have to bring the hammer.
- What good is it to always beat your opponent to the shot if your plan is to run 2 or 3 and duck?
- To get more specific about strategy, a matchup of one with proficient one pocket knowledge and ball pocketing skills that don't match his knowledge of the game (Player A) versus an extremely proficient ball runner (Player B), Player A needs to immediately start each game playing safe beneath the stack so that all balls get uptable as soon as possible. Player B will win by finding some kind of shot if balls remain in play.

Just my two cents.
It sounds easy to just "get the balls up table"
Sometimes it's not that easy when your opponent knows how to keep you from doing it.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Verified Member

Default Tip Toe Thru the Tulips....

I'm only five yrs. behind ya Billy and getting back into it I've found my biggest concern, is my body, even tho I'm in great shape. I started workin' out in 1976 when I moved to Long Beach. Just last month, I was playin' for four hours, all of sudden my legs cramped up, I had my shoes too tight and lost circulation to my feet. Played too long last month, didn't watch my sleep had a lamb, and gave it all back, too tired, was up past seventeen hours and I reactivated my carpal tunnel and stopped playing for a week. I now never sleep thru the night, and get up three or four times, but like ya said, if ya beat em before one way, they Never forget. NOW, I never go looking for a game, I let em come to me, and I tell em, I'm waiting for the best offer, I'll let ya know. The third element/like yourself is my toughest opponent, what's the body gonna do next? To top it off, I'm in match play about two mths ago, playing a guy who plays real good now and because of that, he now chooses to throw in this big know it all ego, arrogance because he can draw his ball better so to speak. Ironically about five years ago/same guy, I thought I'd get back into it and he and I worked out once a week cheap nine ball. He kept beating me for a couple months, but less and less with time. Finally I caught a gear and beat em out of twenty seven games in three and a half hours. He tantrumed around, and Never would play again. Tho now he finds the time to trash talk.
no link....
Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Suspended

NOTE TO STEVE;...Several of my last, completely non-controversial posts, (4-5 days old)..seem to have been overlooked !..I hope this one makes it through ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jackets View Post
It sounds easy to just "get the balls up table"
Sometimes it's not that easy when your opponent knows how to keep you from doing it.
You have just touched on the last thing, most players, new to one pocket, seem to learn !..Depending on whether you are trying to move 'em uptable, or keep 'em down in play,...could be the most obvious difference between an average decent player, and a top player..

It is very common to see an inexperienced player, actually HELP his opponent achieve the opposite, of what he is trying to accomplish, simply by poor shot selection... It is often (not always) just a matter of where you leave the cue ball, even if there may be slightly more risk involved.

Say you are behind in balls 6 or 7 to 1 or 2...If you continue to leave your opponent, where it is easy for him to move the balls up table, you will "come from behind"...to win VERY few of those games..If you allow a wedge to form, it is usually too late...Obviously, its just the opposite if you are way ahead !

As soon as you find yourself that far behind, your entire focus should be on keeping balls in play, even if you have to take riskier shots...It sounds simple, but I often see fairly skilled players, who don't seem to have grasped the importance of that concept.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I'm only five yrs. behind ya Billy and getting back into it I've found my biggest concern, is my body, even tho I'm in great shape. I started workin' out in 1976 when I moved to Long Beach. Just last month, I was playin' for four hours, all of sudden my legs cramped up, I had my shoes too tight and lost circulation to my feet. Played too long last month, didn't watch my sleep had a lamb, and gave it all back, too tired, was up past seventeen hours and I reactivated my carpal tunnel and stopped playing for a week. I now never sleep thru the night, and get up three or four times, but like ya said, if ya beat em before one way, they Never forget. NOW, I never go looking for a game, I let em come to me, and I tell em, I'm waiting for the best offer, I'll let ya know. The third element/like yourself is my toughest opponent, what's the body gonna do next? To top it off, I'm in match play about two mths ago, playing a guy who plays real good now and because of that, he now chooses to throw in this big know it all ego, arrogance because he can draw his ball better so to speak. Ironically about five years ago/same guy, I thought I'd get back into it and he and I worked out once a week cheap nine ball. He kept beating me for a couple months, but less and less with time. Finally I caught a gear and beat em out of twenty seven games in three and a half hours. He tantrumed around, and Never would play again. Tho now he finds the time to trash talk.
Who's the trash talker Bill? Just curious, Doug
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander View Post
Who's the trash talker Bill? Just curious, Doug
Young hot shot, name not needed. I hope to play em in the first round in the Str8 shots Varner event in Denver in March.
no link....
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Verified Member

@wincardona

I'm sure if you had your choice you'd rather play well than commentate/analyze well, but when it comes to the latter, you're the nuts!

I miss Beanie, and I love Fred and Dave, but nobody can touch you in "breakin' it down."

I hope you realize how much we all appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX View Post
NOTE TO STEVE;...Several of my last, completely non-controversial posts, (4-5 days old)..seem to have been overlooked !..I hope this one makes it through ?

You have just touched on the last thing, most players, new to one pocket, seem to learn !..Depending on whether you are trying to move 'em uptable, or keep 'em down in play,...could be the most obvious difference between an average decent player, and a top player..

It is very common to see an inexperienced player, actually HELP his opponent achieve the opposite, of what he is trying to accomplish, simply by poor shot selection... It is often (not always) just a matter of where you leave the cue ball, even if there may be slightly more risk involved.

Say you are behind in balls 6 or 7 to 1 or 2...If you continue to leave your opponent, where it is easy for him to move the balls up table, you will "come from behind"...to win VERY few of those games..If you allow a wedge to form, it is usually too late...Obviously, its just the opposite if you are way ahead !

As soon as you find yourself that far behind, your entire focus should be on keeping balls in play, even if you have to take riskier shots...It sounds simple, but I often see fairly skilled players, who don't seem to have grasped the importance of that concept.
My apologies -- I had a tough week.