Rules question?

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
We had a dispute today that I have a question. Player A and I was playing partners against player B. B was Walking The Board or His Own Partner.
Player B was at the table then walked away to the back without laying his cue on the table etc. Player thought he had shot Not Really Paying Close Attention and walked to the table shooting out of turn. Now this has happened a few times during our normal partners match and the ruling was you owe a ball. And the correct incoming player comes to the table. But in this instance player B yells from the back ... You shot out of turn That's Loss Of Game! I argued it has never been before, but Player B won't budge and says it has been the rule forever. We paid off due to my partner not wanting to argue. It doesn't sit right with me.
Your thoughts please.~T aka player F'ed

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, of course it was your partner's fault for playing out of turn. It's his responsibility to pay attention, or to ask questions. OTOH player B should have announced that he was taking a break. And it is customary, as you say, to lay his cue on the table bed.

This exact scenario would not come up in a tournament format because of the partners feature. Any player is entitled to a break on his turn, but he must announce it. If not, the other player can ask the TD to put the player on the clock; and it would be up to the TD what penalty there would be for not returning in a reasonable amount of time.

In a two man match if a player played out of turn during an opponent's unannounced break, I'm afraid it would still be the fault of the player who shot out of turn. So it's always better to ask. What would the penalty be? Probably loss of game. Depends upon the TD, but there's not a lot of wiggle room.

I'm sure it happens once in awhile, although it must be rare. I've had matches where the opponent takes an unannounced break when it's my inning. I go ahead and shoot. Usually they're upset when they come back to see that you've shot, but one does not have to wait when it's their turn on a player who's taken a break. I had one instance where the guy walked away on my turn, and I had a fairly standard run-out. I called the TD over, and explained. He said go ahead. I ran out, and he witnessed it. When the guy came back it was his rack. The TD told him what happened.:)

~Doc

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
We had a dispute today that I have a question. Player A and I was playing partners against player B. B was Walking The Board or His Own Partner.
Player B was at the table then walked away to the back without laying his cue on the table etc. Player thought he had shot Not Really Paying Close Attention and walked to the table shooting out of turn. Now this has happened a few times during our normal partners match and the ruling was you owe a ball. And the correct incoming player comes to the table. But in this instance player B yells from the back ... You shot out of turn That's Loss Of Game! I argued it has never been before, but Player B won't budge and says it has been the rule forever. We paid off due to my partner not wanting to argue. It doesn't sit right with me.
two guys against one in op--we call that "captains"around here.......

baby huey

Verified Member
Sometimes you just have to work things out. There's no good answer either way and it appears that no one intentionally took advantage except someone had to be paying attention to the game weren't they?

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Thanks for the responses. Yes my partner did foul. I just wondered what the rule was loss of a ball as in past or loss of game that has never been issue before.
Guess it depends on the room and no common ruling.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

The dude who left the table without saying anything, and without laying his stick on the table, is as much at fault for the confusion as your partner. Demanding a loss-of-game means he's also a prick.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've never heard of shooting out of turn being loss of game. But usually it is one partner shooting when it is the other partner (on the same team)'s shot.

To be honest, if the guy whose shot it actually was, walked away without saying anything, and did not put his stick on the table, it seems to me as much his fault as the player that shot.

I don't know if the ball positions could have been approximately restored or not. That would have been my first choice since the guy did not announce his break. I don't see any more than a foul being possible, and I would say next time, if you want to take a break you have to place a cue on the table.