Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Verified Member

Default One Pocket Rich

Rich’s name has come up in the commentator thread and I have a little story about how I met Rich several years back.

I had some business with Joe Porper down in Los Angeles and drove down from Northern CA to see him. I got a room in the valley the day before our meeting and headed to a local pool room Joe told me had a little action to go hit some balls. While I was knocking them around the house man checked me out and noticing I looked like I could play a bit, asked me if I was looking for a game. I told him I was there on business but would play some $50 one pocket. He told me there was a guy working construction nearby that might play some and he could get ahold of him on the beeper.

A little while later in comes this young guy wearing jeans, construction boots and a dirty shirt who had obviously just came off a job. He asked me what I wanted to do and after taking a look at him I said I would like to play some $100 a game one pocket.

Six games later I had not won a game and pulled up. He did not run a lot of balls, but never left a shot and outmoved me enough to get me helpless. Joe showed up the last couple of games (He was in with me) and after watching me lose the last couple games said ‘You don’t play as good as you used to’.

Rich’s style had completely broke me down, and part of it was because I had underestimated him. I was not convinced though, and I ran into him in Las Vegas a few months later and tried him again. This time I lost eight games and it finally sank in. One Pocket Rich can play.!

Rich doesn’t play anymore as far as I know and the last time I saw him was at the tournament we had at James Boch’s house where he and Magdy from Santa Monica did some commentating on the POV stream. He is a good guy, good player and a very good commentator, even with the F bombs.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Verified Member

I will heartily second the opinion the he is a great commentator.

Keith
Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Verified Member

John, loved your story. I only saw Rich one time and it was at Edgie's in the 90's sometime.

I was watching him play somebody and sitting w/Chicken. He was with his wife/girlfriend and she was cold. I always keep something in my car so I brought out a fairly new Gap jean jacket for her to use. I knew he could play, although stalling, so after he finished I wanted to try him some. I had no money on me so I asked if his wife liked the jacket we could play best 2 out of 3 for the jacket against $35 (new it was $80). He said I had a gambling problem and declined.

Hahahahahaha.

Dave
Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Verified Member

john
thanks for the story
dave who is/was chicken??
Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
I will heartily second the opinion the he is a great commentator.

Keith
great commentator.

yup

great commentator.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Verified Member

Rich gave me an ass whooping at HOB. Nice guy, good commentator, super knowledgeable. I could do without the language when I was watching the stream. Just my opinion
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Verified Member

When he started playing out here he was called Conneticut Richie. There is a video of him and Efren playing $500 sets. Rich getting 9/7. JJ from Pool Action Video taped it. He started playing in New England learning from the old timers like Conneticut Johnny Vivas, one of the originals.

We been trying to get him to come back to the game but he seems happy to be away from it raising his 2 boys. His understanding of the game was on such a high level. Very abstract thinking.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
john
thanks for the story
dave who is/was chicken??
Larry,

Chicken was a regular at California Billiards and Edgies in No CAL. John and I both knew him a long time. In fact Chicken was one of the first people who played me one pocket on a regular basis ($20/game). He was a good mover and loved one pocket, but not so much a ball runner. So when we started playing I was trying to move with him so I could learn but could never win. Then I missed a ball during a run and sold out; I learned from that mistake that Chicken could not run balls very well and he soon missed selling out to me. So I stopped trying to move with him and played more offensively - he never won another session. Can you say "epiphany"?

Lesson learned!

You know how clever John is...I was sitting next to him at Edgie's and Chicken walked in the door, John immediately said (loudly) "Chicken, you can't just walk in unannounced like that, you'll give everybody whiplash." We all liked playing him, but more importantly he is one hell of a nice guy. He is now married living in Texas.

Dave

P.S. John is the greatest person to have as a regular in a poolroom. He gets in action, promotes action and has personality for days. I felt privileged to be around him. (He even talked to me once in a while)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12squared View Post
Larry,

Chicken was a regular at California Billiards and Edgies in No CAL. John and I both knew him a long time. In fact Chicken was one of the first people who played me one pocket on a regular basis ($20/game). He was a good mover and loved one pocket, but not so much a ball runner. So when we started playing I was trying to move with him so I could learn but could never win. Then I missed a ball during a run and sold out; I learned from that mistake that Chicken could not run balls very well and he soon missed selling out to me. So I stopped trying to move with him and played more offensively - he never won another session. Can you say "epiphany"?

Lesson learned!

You know how clever John is...I was sitting next to him at Edgie's and Chicken walked in the door, John immediately said (loudly) "Chicken, you can't just walk in unannounced like that, you'll give everybody whiplash." We all liked playing him, but more importantly he is one hell of a nice guy. He is now married living in Texas.

Dave

P.S. John is the greatest person to have as a regular in a poolroom. He gets in action, promotes action and has personality for days. I felt privileged to be around him. (He even talked to me once in a while)
Thanks for the kind remarks. We had quite a group and always had a good time. Some time we can tell them the matzah ball story.

Last edited by jrhendy; 11-07-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Verified Member

I was lucky enough to see him play mcready. I believe rich was getting a ball but I could be wrong. keith didn’t like it.

Last time I saw rich he was playing our own Wayne. And Wayne may have his own rendition (I’m sure they played so much he won’t know which time I’m talking about), but rich was really outplaying him this particular day. Maybe I should not even post that but what the hell rich doesn’t play anymore. Rich asked me to play that day and I said no I ain’t got a chance at one hole with him, and he’s would not play me nine ball so whatever there same story two guys circling and trying to boost egos. I’m guilty.

If you were playing late night pool in la in the 90’s there for a while, there was a good chance youd see rich sort of somehow quietly matched up with a good player, and usually winning.

I think he outmoved the entire city whenever he was on, but he wasn’t the best shooter is all.

Last edited by El Chapo; 11-07-2017 at 02:13 AM.