Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 AM
Verified Member

3/2 solves all problems.....
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showp...&postcount=111
Old 03-21-2019, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
How about races to three Friday and Saturday on both sides (two rounds Friday) and races to two for one loss side on Sunday. Still would be Sunday evening finish, but probably a little quicker. No way I want to see anyone done and out on Friday, even if it means we play till the wee hours Sunday night.
Friday would basically be one round in that case, which is not really utilizing it for the tournament. I would rather see us play more Friday -- I mean who among us is going to turn tail and leave if we get knocked out Friday? Most of us have to travel and we are making at least three day plans, win or lose.

But of course playing more on Friday does mean players will get knocked out of the tournament that day. After two full rounds we would have 8 players with no loses, 8 players with 2 loses and out, and 16 players who are 1-1. With three rounds, 8 more players are knocked out.

I'm going to go ahead with a quick poll and might move some of these posts to the poll thread.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Verified Member

This is what I posted on the MOT location thread about a couple of months ago.

3/3 format @ Bluegrass w//16 tables & 1/4 (8 players) of the field eliminated the first day, I think will probably work. Play would start appox. 12-1pm, allowing for 4hrs./match on avg. then I believe two rds. could be finished @ approx. 9-10pm.

Question is; do you want to play another rd.? Possibly if your at 9pm. But, Later than that I would be hesitant, siting nutrition/player fatique vs. enjoying other venues of socializing/matching up. And opt. for playing an extra rd. on Saturday night, for play can get started earlier.

Saturday, I feel, as it was with MOT Cal. Billiards that if they will open the doors for practice to start @ 9am, this gives us an extra hour. Why is this important, I feel an extra rd. will be needed to be played on Sat. night if we are to get to 4 players on Sunday as Scrzbil suggests! Whitey
----------------------
Current Post:
Friday (after players meeting & Calcutta): 12-1pm 1st. rd. 16 tables, conclude by 5 pm. 16 players - 0 losses & 16 players 1-loss. / 5pm-rd.2: 8-0 loss matches, 8-1 loss matches - 1/4 field eliminated, concludes approx. 9pm.

Saturday: Philly, opens @ 10am. Rd. 3: 8-0 loss matches & 8- 1 loss matches would start thereafter and conclude by 2pm. 1/2 of field is now eliminated & 4-0 loss players & 12-1 loss players remain=16 players.

Rd.4 @ approx. 2pm / 12 tables available, use 8 tables: 2-0 loss matches & 6-1 loss matches - concludes @ 6pm. w/ 2 players-0 losses, 8 players w/1 loss, 6 players eliminated = 10 players remain.

Rd. 5 @ 6pm on 4 tables: 4 -1 loss matches - Note: could play the hot seat 0-loss match, or not? 4 players eliminated @ approx. 10 pm.

Rd. 6 Sunday morning - 6 players remaining. Sunday's Format? Still remaining is a decision on Sunday's Format! Still 4 rds. remaining. Probably go to a 3/2 format! Race to 4 final- hammer breaks!

How's that look? Correct any mistakes, this is off the top of my head! Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 03-21-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
Start at noon. Play faster

Doesn’t three rounds only eliminate 1/4 of the field. That would be two on the winners side and one on the lose side or do you mean three matches on each side?
I am counting "rounds" a little funny I guess -- because I am considering only the "critical path" of rounds that cannot start until players are available from a prior round. So most of the winner's side matches don't really count (only the first round and final round do), because most of them are played at the same time one-loss matches are being played. So by my "three rounds" I actually mean the first all 32 round, then round 2 being a combination of the 16 winners and 16 losers both playing -- but at the same time. With the third "critical path" round being the second round of 16 players with one loss playing.

I count 10 "critical path" rounds in a 32 player DE tournament. But I have been wrong on this before lol.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
This is what I posted on the MOT location thread about a couple of months ago.

3/3 format @ Bluegrass w//16 tables & 1/4 (8 players) of the field eliminated the first day, I think will probably work. Play would start appox. 12-1pm, allowing for 4hrs./match on avg. then I believe two rds. could be finished @ approx. 9-10pm.

Question is; do you want to play another rd.? Possibly if your at 9pm. But, Later than that I would be hesitant, siting nutrition/player fatique vs. enjoying other venues of socializing/matching up. And opt. for playing an extra rd. on Saturday night, for play can get started earlier.

Saturday, I feel, as it was with MOT Cal. Billiards that if they will open the doors for practice to start @ 9am, this gives us an extra hour. Why is this important, I feel an extra rd. will be needed to be played on Sat. night if we are to get to 4 players on Sunday as Scrzbil suggests! Whitey
----------------------
Current Post:
Friday (after players meeting & Calcutta): 12-1pm 1st. rd. 16 tables, conclude by 5 pm. 16 players - 0 losses & 16 players 1-loss. / 5pm-rd.2: 8-0 loss matches, 8-1 loss matches - 1/4 field eliminated, concludes approx. 9pm.

Saturday: Philly, opens @ 10am. Rd. 3: 8-0 loss matches & 8- 1 loss matches would start thereafter and conclude by 2pm. 1/2 of field is now eliminated & 4-0 loss players & 12-1 loss players remain=16 players.

Rd.4 @ approx. 2pm / 12 tables available, use 8 tables: 2-0 loss matches & 6-1 loss matches - concludes @ 6pm. w/ 2 players-0 losses, 8 players w/1 loss, 6 players eliminated = 10 players remain.

Rd. 5 @ 6pm on 4 tables: 4 -1 loss matches - Note: could play the hot seat 0-loss match, or not? 4 players eliminated @ approx. 10 pm.

Rd. 6 Sunday morning - 6 players remaining. Sunday's Format? Still remaining is a decision on Sunday's Format! Still 4 rds. remaining. Probably go to a 3/2 format! Race to 4 final- hammer breaks!

How's that look? Correct any mistakes, this is off the top of my head! Whitey
I like your layout but the Math is a little off.

Friday. 16 players would have one loss with a quarter of the field eliminated.

With a 1pm start Friday I think an another round is feasible but that can be left as an option depending on timing.

If half the field gets eliminated Friday then there would be plenty of ACTION.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I like your layout but the Math is a little off.

Friday. 16 players would have one loss with a quarter of the field eliminated.

With a 1pm start Friday I think an another round is feasible but that can be left as an option depending on timing.

If half the field gets eliminated Friday then there would be plenty of ACTION.
Thanks, I kind of like this format also. It is based off of last year MOT experience. I do 'not' get the idea of starting at 4 pm. as in the poll, unless players would come in on Friday and then try to play. I can not do that, I'd be burnt out from traveling, I'd have to come in on Thursday anyway. IMO you have to go to 3/2 on Sunday or the tourny will be in trouble again.

My wife and I went on a great hike. It leaves from the information center at base of Crater Lake, and hikes up to the lake. Tons of snow, had snow shoes on. Some people hiked with skis on, and ski down, can you imagine. I am for the skiing down but not going up, brutal! But it was a beautiful crystal clear day, 8 degrees though, but felt ok for heated up hiking, but felt real good to stop in sunny spots. See ya! Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 03-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
Thanks, I kind of like this format also. It is based off of last year MOT experience. I do 'not' get the idea of starting at 4 pm. as in the poll, unless players would come in on Friday and then try to play. I can not do that, I'd be burnt out from traveling, I'd have to come in on Thursday anyway. IMO you have to go to 3/2 on Sunday or the tourny will be in trouble again.

My wife and I went on a great hike. It leaves from the information center at base of Crater Lake, and hikes up to the lake. Tons of snow, had snow shoes on. Some people hiked with skis on, and ski down, can you imagine. I am for the skiing down but not going up, brutal! But it was a beautiful crystal clear day, 8 degrees though, but felt ok for heated up hiking, but felt real good to stop in sunny spots. See ya! Whitey
The Sunday issue to me depends on how many rounds you are leaving to Sunday. If it is more than 3 rounds, yes I think we better go 3/2 -- which I reflected in the poll.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Friday would basically be one round in that case, which is not really utilizing it for the tournament. I would rather see us play more Friday -- I mean who among us is going to turn tail and leave if we get knocked out Friday? Most of us have to travel and we are making at least three day plans, win or lose.

But of course playing more on Friday does mean players will get knocked out of the tournament that day. After two full rounds we would have 8 players with no loses, 8 players with 2 loses and out, and 16 players who are 1-1. With three rounds, 8 more players are knocked out.

I'm going to go ahead with a quick poll and might move some of these posts to the poll thread.
I also don't like the idea of eliminations on Friday, but it may be necessary. We don't need to make a big production or debate for this, but on an ad hoc basis, we could easily run a $50 single elimination race to 2 Saturday afternoon tournament for either (1) all 2 out players (8) or (2) all 2 or 3 & out (12) players.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Verified Member

Default 2019 Member Tournament Sign up Thread!!!

Hey Mitch, you can scratch me off the list. It doesn’t look like this tourney will be done in time for me to travel back home on Sunday. I still plan to come out and see everyone on Thursday (golf) and Friday, though! Looking forward to it!
Old 03-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Verified Member

i doubt i will be playing on sunday......
i am realistic regarding my skill set....(saves me money )....
for me i want to meet guys i have only "spoken to " online
get to know the real guy
i really dont gamble so "getting in action " is not as important to me...
(i will bet if you force me...)
i am happy just hanging out with you guys
i would rather start early Friday
and have race to 3 all the way thru
because if on one day its only a race to 2 the guys that got to two first but lost going to 3 might feel they got a bad roll...
jmho
icbw