most entertining players

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Maybe some of ya'll might like to chime in on this.

Most entertaining playersI've ever watched: Ronnie Allen, Keith McCready, Jimmy Mataya,and Alex Pagulayan.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
blackeee said:
Maybe some of ya'll might like to chime in on this.

Most entertaining playersI've ever watched: Ronnie Allen, Keith McCready, Jimmy Mataya,and Alex Pagulayan.

Blackee,

I think you picked the cream of the crop, of the top players, probably in the correct order too.

There of course there were slightly lesser luminaries, who could be very entertaining to play, or watch play...Scotty Townsend, and Whoppy (Walter Getty) come to mind. And a lot of guys nobody ever heard of....Just local players, who could keep everybody in stitches, with their conversation...:)

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You have to add the late Larry Lisciotti to that list of all time greats. Great player and very funny too.

For current players & up and coming...

A couple of years ago, Tim Heath and Jimmy Mataya matched up at Derby City for some late night one handed play. The two of them together made for a real good show -- they had the whole crowd in stitches.

Dippy also brings some definite entertainment value along with his big money to his games -- it remains to be seen whether this his is a brief fling with pool or a dual career.

JAM

Verified Member
Larry Lisciotti, Shannon Daulton, Cornbread Red, Jimmy Mataya, Alex Pagulayan, Ronnie Wiseman, Earl Strickland, Sparky, Bobby Pickle, Ronnie Allen, Luc Salvas, Ginky, Good Time Charlie, Frankie Hernandez, Scotty Townsend, Jeanette Lee, Tony Watson, Rachael Abbink, and last but not least...

...this guy! :D

Attachments

• Conquering Caesar 022.jpg
    Conquering Caesar 022.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
How could you miss Earl? I think he started out doing his antics for fun but somehow started taking himself seriously. He's a stitch.

JAM

Verified Member
Must throw this picture in the thread with Ronnie and Larry and Ed. I think Hemicudas sent me this photo, but I'm not sure who or what the origin of it is, where and when it was taken, et cetera. If anybody knows, please chime in. :)

Attachments

• My photos 425.jpg
    My photos 425.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 9

JAM

Verified Member
petie said:
How could you miss Earl? I think he started out doing his antics for fun but somehow started taking himself seriously. He's a stitch.

I included Earl in my list. ;)

Here's a cute shot of Earl and Keith cutting up before a match at the Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour finale in Maine. Earl was getting ready to play Karen Corr, and though he seemed confident, he wasn't liking it one bit. Keith was ribbing him, as Karen sat quiet as a churchmouse with her game face on.

Everybody knew that Karen was capable of winning, and the guys didn't like playing her because of it. Nobody wanted to get beat by the "girl." :D

Attachments

• crew.jpg
    crew.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4

JAM

Verified Member
This picture was taken in Vegas in July of 2006 at an IPT tournament. Jimmy Mataya wasn't included in the IPT membership, but you could see how much he really wanted to be a part of the whole thing. He truly loves pool, even though he wasn't competing on a regular basis.

This picture was taken in a restaurant at the Venetian, and Jimmy had me in stitches relaying his pool stories. He was a hoot. Keith and Jimmy are very good friends, and you could see how much respect they have for each other. Keith told Jimmy at that event that if he was fortunate enough to make it to the semifinals that he was going to ask Jimmy to be his cornerman. Jimmy really liked that; in fact, you could see how touched he was that Keith thought enough of him to ask. Unfortunately, Keith didn't get too far in this tournament, but we all still had a great time! :)

Attachments

• IPT-NA Venetian in Vegas 102.JPG
    IPT-NA Venetian in Vegas 102.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 4

JAM

Verified Member
Love this picture of Ronnie, Keith and Alex at the Carolinas Open, I think in 2004. There's a funny story about this tournament that occured in the after hours with Ronnie and Alex gambling against Keith and his "designated breaker." Watching this crew gamble was pure non-stop entertainment for the rail. :D

Attachments

• Ronnie Wiseman Keith Alex Pagulayan.JPG
    Ronnie Wiseman Keith Alex Pagulayan.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 3

JAM

Verified Member
Sometimes the best entertainment comes before the game, during the barkfest. I always got a kick out of watching Tony Watson matching up. ;)

Attachments

• U.S. Open with Keith 028.jpg
    U.S. Open with Keith 028.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4

JAM

Verified Member
You can't help but love Charlie with his gift of gab. Whatever tournament I've been at, he's always put a smile on my face. He's good pool peeps in my book! :)

Attachments

• Charlie B.JPG
    Charlie B.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 3

JAM

Verified Member
I'm making a record with my photos. When I meet my maker, at least I will have contributed to the pool archives by posting my pictures on the net. Nobody will remember me, but they'll remember these photos ad infinitum, I hope. ;)

The first time I met Rachael Abbink, she was on the road traveling with Larry Nevel. She never hesitated to get in action any time I had seen her. She can really bark and keep up with the best of 'em. She's got heart and steps up to the plate with no fear, too. This lady likes to gamble. She's not only really pretty -- check out that figure! -- but she's truly a nice person. I really like her. :cool:

Attachments

• 2004 Carolinas Open 023.JPG
    2004 Carolinas Open 023.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 9

JAM

Verified Member
Sparky is another colorful figure in the pool world. He's another action man who enjoys games of stake. I haven't heard his name in recent time. Pool and its occupational hazards can be brutal to some players. I got to know Sparky after hanging out with him at a few tournaments. He's got a good heart. I hope he's okay! :)

Attachments

• Sparky and Keith.JPG
    Sparky and Keith.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 3

JAM

Verified Member
I actually have some great photos of Shannon, but they're on my other computer, which is disconnected and in the garage at this time. This, however, is my favorite photo of Shannon. He's happy as a clam after winning the Pro-Am tournament at the 2005 Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge. This was the most beautiful trophy I had ever seen. Me and Shannon were more interested in winning the trophy than the cheese, believe it or not, but Keith was all wanting to pocket the cash. The difference between first and second place cash was significant, as Allen Hopkins added another $2,000 to the first-place winnings for this particular tournament right before it began, and second place monies was only 20 percent of what first place monies paid out. And then there was that doggone trophy.

In the end, the two duked it out on a field of green, and it was neck and neck all the way, but Shannon triumphed, dag nab it, and got that trophy! :D

Attachments

• Keith and Shannon 2005 SBE.JPG
    Keith and Shannon 2005 SBE.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 3

JAM

Verified Member
I never had the privilege to see Cornbread Red play pool in his prime, but I did catch him competing with Squirrel and a couple other one-pocket phenoms at the 2003 Derby City Classic at the Executive West in Louisville. He was kind enough to pose for a picture for me, even though he didn't know me from Adam or Eve. There's no doubt that this man is an American pool legend who knew how to provide entertainment the Cornbread Red way. :cool:

Attachments

• Keith McCready and Cornbread Red.JPG
    Keith McCready and Cornbread Red.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 2

JAM

Verified Member
There's nothing better than seeing The Bobby Pickle Show. This was taken at the 2004 Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge. Bobby held the action table for a spell, entertaining all those in attendance. Here he is getting ready to sink the money ball. :D

Attachments

• Bobby%2520Pickle%2520at%25202004%2520SBE[1][1].JPG
    Bobby%2520Pickle%2520at%25202004%2520SBE[1][1].JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 5

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
I never had the privilege to see Cornbread Red play pool in his prime, but I did catch him competing with Squirrel and a couple other one-pocket phenoms at the 2003 Derby City Classic at the Executive West in Louisville. He was kind enough to pose for a picture for me, even though he didn't know me from Adam or Eve. There's no doubt that this man is an American pool legend who knew how to provide entertainment the Cornbread Red way. :cool:
I never did see Cornbread in his prime either, JAM. Likewise, Fatty (even in his gab prime, let alone his shooting prime, lol) Well, I did see Fats on those TV tourneys, but I mean in person, actually gambling.

JAM

Verified Member
Luc Salvas competed in the 2005 Skins Billiards Championship in Atlantic City.

Before his match, Luc Salvas was dining at the buffet at the Resorts. He's always fun and exciting to be around.

During the Skins semi-finals, Luc was getting ready to fire an 8-ball in the hole, and a baby let out a scream from the audience. Luc paused and stood up. Tournament director and referee Frank Del Pizzo asked Luc if he wanted a "time out" or extension. Luc, known as a lightning-fast shooter, never missed a beat and said in his very thick French accent, "No, thanks. I heard a babee." Everybody cracked up. Luc continued on, pocketing the 8 and 9 in about 5 seconds for the win. :D

Attachments

• Luc%20Salvas[1].JPG
    Luc%20Salvas[1].JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1

JAM

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I never did see Cornbread in his prime either, JAM. Likewise, Fatty (even in his gab prime, let alone his shooting prime, lol) Well, I did see Fats on those TV tourneys, but I mean in person, actually gambling.

Fatty for sure was "the" premier entertainer. The feud he had with Willie Mosconi made for good TV, and it kept pool alive in American media. :p

Who can ever forget the YouTube vintage classic of Johnston City! I still enjoy watching it and hearing Fatty talk: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekyLXFehvvk"]Johnston City Pool Hustling[/ame].