onepocket.org challenge's

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Since the Ghost and Gentleman John's match has been so public on the forum... why can't we as a group, set up our own member rotating challenge match's... most of us meet up in different places in the states... we could have our own member tournament... we should be able to get 64 players, we all know of decent pool halls to have it... Just a thought, to see who all will bite...

B

PS we do have some members who play pretty sporty... just saying... and if you really think about it, just how much could you learn watching and sweating the rail with some of the members...:D

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Good Idea

Good Idea

Since the Ghost and Gentleman John's match has been so public on the forum... why can't we as a group, set up our own member rotating challenge match's... most of us meet up in different places in the states... we could have our own member tournament... we should be able to get 64 players, we all know of decent pool halls to have it... Just a thought, to see who all will bite...

B

PS we do have some members who play pretty sporty... just saying... and if you really think about it, just how much could you learn watching and sweating the rail with some of the members...:D

I think that's a great idea. I am glad to see the John/Ghost match is stirring up so many good things. However, I will need 10-3 and the breaks from everyone.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

B

Sounds good to me; let's think about how to implement this. We all play in different areas around the country (and for some, the world), and we play at all different skill levels.

A "ladder" format might be interesting, with limited rungs on the ladder, which should mean multiple players at about the same level. A player could challenge their own level or the next one up maybe??? That would keep the matches from needing any handicaps. The more players that sign up, the more likely someone will make for a good challenge within everyone's travel range. Of course gathering events like DCC and US Open One Pocket, etc, tend to bring more of us together. Other OnePocket.org members slot your initial "rung" level.

I could start a thread where members can "sign up". Maybe the actual ladder rankings should be in the member's forum? I could make it a "sticky" if it catches on.

Maybe a race to three as a standard?? Maybe a minimum challenge $$ amount??

What do you all say?

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Sad but true!!!

Sad but true!!!

you know you don't have to stall...ahem...amongst friends...lol

B

Hahaha.......Sadly, I hate to admit, Im not stalling. Wish I was, but in all honesty I would probably need more than that from most of you guys. That damn Ghost got me hooked on the game and I just like to play and learn.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
$$$

$$$

200 a man, 50 goes to onepocket.org for the derby dinner and sponserships, winner walks with 350... I personally would rather a race to 5... a race to 3 sometimes slow starters don't really have the time to recover.

Never have to drive more than 300 miles for a match... or for those lucky few who travel... the one not traveling could possibly help with room and board...

B

PS I should be the guy on the bottom of the ladder

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Sounds fun,

I'm always looking for a challenge... and usually don't have trouble finding one. :)

Dudley

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
200 a man, 50 goes to onepocket.org for the derby dinner and sponserships, winner walks with 350... I personally would rather a race to 5... a race to 3 sometimes slow starters don't really have the time to recover.

Never have to drive more than 300 miles for a match... or for those lucky few who travel... the one not traveling could possibly help with room and board...

B

PS I should be the guy on the bottom of the ladder
Sounds good to me -- the hosting help is a good idea as well as a little tithe that helps something onepocket.org is doing.

I think towards the lower end of the ladder a lower minimum would be okay -- if that would encourage more players to get involved.

Another variation that is based on what I suggested for Mark Griffin's national league system for One Pocket, would be for "doubles" travel teams -- i.e. each "team" consists of just two players (two players that can conveniently travel together, at least a reasonable distance). A match would of course consist of one doubles match and the two singles matches. Pre-match negotiations on what would be the appropriate lines for the players would be encouraged, and probably necessary since it is even harder to get four players to all match up even.

It would be great to tie this in to who is sponsored by OnePocket.org to the next major event (whether this is a singles or doubles format).

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
"PS I should be the guy on the bottom of the ladder"

Careful, you're stepping on my fingers.:D

Sounds like a great idea. I'll take 14-1 with my opponent shooting 14-no count. Seriously though, this idea has a lot of potential and is worth some time, effort and $$. I usually have to play cheap but I'll find a way to make it work if the idea pans out.;)

Bill

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Sounds good to me; let's think about how to implement this. We all play in different areas around the country (and for some, the world), and we play at all different skill levels.

A "ladder" format might be interesting, with limited rungs on the ladder, which should mean multiple players at about the same level. A player could challenge their own level or the next one up maybe??? That would keep the matches from needing any handicaps. The more players that sign up, the more likely someone will make for a good challenge within everyone's travel range. Of course gathering events like DCC and US Open One Pocket, etc, tend to bring more of us together. Other OnePocket.org members slot your initial "rung" level.

I could start a thread where members can "sign up". Maybe the actual ladder rankings should be in the member's forum? I could make it a "sticky" if it catches on.

Maybe a race to three as a standard?? Maybe a minimum challenge $$ amount??

What do you all say?

If there's travel involved for a match, a race to 3 seems short. Maybe 5? (It could be 3 or 4 when a Chicago player is involved so as to keep the match time finite.)

At $200, you might deter the lobsters like me from participating. Maybe $100/man, plus bragging rights? Or just whatever two players agree too, with a specified vig for OP.org sanctioning.

As a slight variant on the concept, I'll just go ahead and declare myself the One Pocket Champion of Northern Virginia. If anyone from OP.org has $100 and photo verification that they reside in Alexandria or the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, or Loudon, they can try to take the title.

I think I may get into trouble by including counties outside Arlington. In fact I should probably make that One Pocket Champion of 22201 & 22203, which might actually be true.

Cory

piggybank04

Verified Member
the way those chicago boys grind, you should make them race to one--that way the match would be no longer than 5 or 6 hrs:D

Richard S

Verified Member
From
Poplarville MS
Very Good Idea

Very Good Idea

Col. Bille, I'll participate. I'll be good cannon fodder for the top guys in the area. We could also have a cheap weekly event in Gulfport if we had enough locals to support it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Col. Bille, I'll participate. I'll be good cannon fodder for the top guys in the area. We could also have a cheap weekly event in Gulfport if we had enough locals to support it.
Howdy, my man! A local weekly event might work. 8-12 guys, races to 2 on the winner side, 1 (or 2) on loser's, depending upon the number of entrants; Possibly single elim, race to 3. 3 handicap levels, no pros. $30-$40 entry. Ricky would play, so he'd probably give us the tables. A weekend 11 A.M. start would be ideal, but I think they still have that silly ass 9B tourny on Sundays. Just thinking out loud...

On a national 1p.o level, I don't see how a tournament could work. The logistics are pretty daunting. However there are plenty of possibilities for challenge contests, especially for partners match-ups. For example I'd love to figure a way to trap Booth out of a few clams, but he's kinda cagey that way.:cool:

~Doc

Richard S

Verified Member
From
Poplarville MS
Local Challenges

Local Challenges

Doc, everything you propose sounds good, workable. We should be able to set up an event, see how it goes, and report on this forum.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Doc

Doc

Saturday afternoon may work for this or Tuesday nights... I agree about the fee's, 100 for the match, race to three, have to win by two is a good idea also...

Let's get together later this week, I will be in Jackson till Wednesday night...

B