$$$ Official 2010 DCC Action Report Thread $$$

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, I figured there needs to be a thread for sending in reports to the guys who unfortunately can't join us at the DCC this year, so I though I'd kick things off with this post....I'll try and send some reports in, and also I told Cali-Red and Gulfport Doc that I'd call them up with some reports that they can then pass on to the rest of you....

If I draw Efren in the One Pocket tournament, I would be willing to take 5-1 that I win at least one game in the race to 3 - anybody that wants that action against me can pm me...:)...:cool:...

I'm goin' a day early this year, leavin' tomorrow, should materialize there around 6:00 - if the creek don't rise..........hope to see a bunch of you in the onepocket.org room by the weekend...ya know they give you a nametag to wear in the onepocket.org room with your forum name and your real name on it...I'm wondering if any of our resident lurkers here on the forum will be there in the room, and they will only have 'lurker' printed on their nametag, and won't give up their real name while they're there....:D

Over and Out, Ghosty

PS, You guys at home...if the internet-streaming camera happens to catch Shanelle Loraine and myself all cozied up together at some point, I'll wave at you guys....:)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Ghost, I'll be happy to pass on to the board any reports that you relate to me. I'll also be curious to learn the status of your match-up negotiations with Hendy.;)

Now that I've decided not to attend because of the weather, they'll probably have the mildest January on record!:mad: Hope y'all have a great time!

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ok, checkin' in....

My homeboy Jet from Red Shoes Billiards Chicago won the bank pool ring game last night, knocking out Shannon and Brian Gregg in the final round....

Second round of banks starting this morning...onepocket.org members = John H. and Chicago Mike lost their 1st round matches, myself and twister won our first round, and the Beard luckily drew everybody's favorite 1st round opponent - Mr. Forfeit....:)....and Jeanette Lee smoked very strong-playing Jason Kirkwood 3-0...:eek:...

Artie's here, he and John have tentatively agreed to play their re-match on Monday....

I gambled the last 2 nights with an Atlanta guy and a Ohio guy - won both times....:)

Haven't seen any big action here yet...Efren's here - I offered to play him a race to 7 with me getting 12-5 for $100,000...:eek:...he's discussing it with his backers, and will get back to me....:cool:...Efren also now has one of my One Pocket Shirts - hopefully I'll see him wearing it in the finals...

That's all for now, Ghost

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Artie and John are playing now

Artie and John are playing now

it's 11:00 and Ghost called me with a update.

John and Artie are playing now in one of the smaller rooms with a couple of tables. I think it's the 3k they were talking about, but not sure of the race. chicagomike went to get this camcorder, so maybe we can have some footage later on.

1st game Artie won 8 to -1.

Ghost is sitting above and has a view of the bank matches finishing up and some other action. Cole Dixon is there and playing some onehole.

Feel free to add more info here as it trickles in.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
gulfportdoc said:
It's nice to hear that Dixon has come out from hibernation to dab it a little. I'm sure the action has drawn him. I wonder how he's hitting them?

Doc

Ghost said he didn't look so healthy. I wonder too, how well someone with so much raw talent at a early age and so many years of playing on the road, still hits the balls after taking long stages or retirement from the game.

If I had a wish, I wish I could play at the same speed as some of these guys that don't play for years and years and then step up to the table again.:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Finally !!!

Finally !!!

For those interested...My homeboy John H, just endured a torturous, 14 1/2 hour, race to 7, to defeat the pride of Chicago, Artie B.
I guess John had him 6-3....and AB made a little comeback, before John closed him out at 7-5

Just got off the phone with JH. I guess they are both pretty wore out. No word yet of a possible re-match.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
For those interested...My homeboy John H, just endured a torturous, 14 1/2 hour, race to 7, to defeat the pride of Chicago, Artie B.
I guess John had him 6-3....and AB made a little comeback, before John closed him out at 7-5

Just got off the phone with JH. I guess they are both pretty wore out. No word yet of a possible re-match.

Well, SO MUCH for all that deep, 5 moves ahead, convoluted strategy.
Congrats John H.
Rod.

senor

Verified Member
androd said:
Well, SO MUCH for all that deep, 5 moves ahead, convoluted strategy.
Congrats John H.
Rod.

The 6th move ahead I heard was his undoing...the 6th being pocketing the shot.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:

Wow, I have to admit I was a little worried on his chances, when Ghost told me that he lost the 1st game -1 in balls and he said Artie was shooting pretty good.

It sounds like because it was a 14 hour session, it was probably not a setup to try and hustle him in some way. Artie prides himself on being a excellent hustler, so you got to look at all angles when he's involved in a game, so you don't get caught:D

Congratulations John!!!! I think after the 1st time you played, you must have thought you could beat him if you shot better or differently.. so Props to you for stepping up to the plate again and playing your heart out.

I hope both of you had a good time and I'm sure coupled with the atmosphere of the Derby and your long awaited game, you guys both probably are having flashbacks of the good ole days of pool.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
senor said:
The 6th move ahead I heard was his undoing...the 6th being pocketing the shot.

Yeh, 12 games in 14 1/2 hrs. I'm thinking that 6th move didn't come around too often. I watched'em play a while in Galveston and John H looked to be the better player, but he got tired. He hung in there this time.
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
CaliRed said:
It sounds like because it was a 14 hour session, it was probably not a setup to try and hustle him in some way. Artie prides himself on being a excellent hustler, so you got to look at all angles when he's involved in a game, so you don't get caught:D

Trust me Greg, that does not even enter into this equation. RA, and just about every knowledgable sweator (NOT from Chicago),..who saw their 1st match at Galveston, agreed that John was an all around better player at 70, than Artie is at 65. You can only move and trap so much, you eventually have to shoot balls in the hole to win.
It may have been different years ago....But this AIN'T years ago !.... Anyways, thats why we went back for seconds.

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
Trust me Greg, that does not even enter into this equation. RA, and just about every knowledgable sweator (NOT from Chicago),..who saw their 1st match at Galveston, agreed that John was a better player at 70, than Artie is at 65.
It may have been different years ago....But this AIN'T years ago !.... Anyways, thats why we went back for seconds.

Damn, your getting pretty good at this quote thing, aren't you?/?:)

I figured Artie was probably hitting balls in his garage 18 hours a day since Galveston, getting ready for DCC.

You guys made a good move then, going back for seconds. I remember when John lost, he was very diplomatic about it and didn't take anything away from Artie's win. Let's hope the same goes around this time.:rolleyes:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Congrats to JH

Congrats to JH

Tough man, that John H. I stopped in periodically to watch. Couldnt take more than 10 mins at a time. Would rather watch wounds heal. Artie was still able to think and move, but his shooting was hideous. John took advantage of that and played just a tad more aggressive than previous. Artie had cue ball in hand and the game ball a few inches past the headstring and elected to shoot a ball away from John's pocket! I'll give JH credit, he really is a pool animal.
I am reconsidering playing him 9 ball banks. I still think I can rob him, but I cant get up any animous against him. I need to find something to dislike before I can play anybody, and the guy is just too nice a person. He never even took his pal, the Sand Hounds, side in any of our beefs. Plus, I luckily didnt have any betting interest in his match with AB. Got there too late. Once Artie was behind I kept quiet. If AB hadda won, I would have declared in. So Sand Hound's celebration isnt quite complete, with my escape. I need JH to piss me off some kind of way.

Beard
Shot of the tournament: the Lunatic, Crazy Tim playing 1 handed with Jimmy Mataya for $500 a game, and breaking the 9ball rack by taking a running 10 ft head start and spearing the cueball jacked up!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:

Well, good for both of them, and congratulations to John!

That's a grueling session for anyone, 14-1/2 hours, but for guys of that age, it's amazing they were able to hold up to it. I know that Hendy is in good shape. He keeps real active, and is involved in several physical activities. I don't know if Artie gets much exercise, but he's got staying power.

Perhaps the stamina circumstance made the difference in the match. I wonder if any of the play got recorded?

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Tough man, that John H. I stopped in periodically to watch. Couldnt take more than 10 mins at a time. Would rather watch wounds heal. Artie was still able to think and move, but his shooting was hideous. John took advantage of that and played just a tad more aggressive than previous. Artie had cue ball in hand and the game ball a few inches past the headstring and elected to shoot a ball away from John's pocket! I'll give JH credit, he really is a pool animal.
I am reconsidering playing him 9 ball banks. I still think I can rob him, but I cant get up any animous against him. I need to find something to dislike before I can play anybody, and the guy is just too nice a person. He never even took his pal, the Sand Hounds, side in any of our beefs. Plus, I luckily didnt have any betting interest in his match with AB. Got there too late. Once Artie was behind I kept quiet. If AB hadda won, I would have declared in. So Sand Hound's celebration isnt quite complete, with my escape. I need JH to piss me off some kind of way.

Beard
Shot of the tournament: the Lunatic, Crazy Tim playing 1 handed with Jimmy Mataya for $500 a game, and breaking the 9ball rack by taking a running 10 ft head start and spearing the cueball jacked up!

Beardmonster,

You're right, John would never butt into a meaningful dialogue, between two pool adversaries. (in public)

However, I'm not real sure, but last week, when I was a little "over-served", John and I were having a late night chat, and I seem to remember him saying something like..."I can beat any loud mouth, no good, story book writing, blowhard from Chicago,... any game he can name, for any amount he can count"... And I think he said, "especially 9-ball banks, or one pocket"

At least I think it was him that said it...maybe it was ME, (too much YJ).. as I said, not real sure, but ONE of us said it. :confused:

But if it WAS him...would that make you pissed enough to play him ? ...Sure not trying to antagonize or instigate...just sayin'.:D :D :cool:

Sand Hound <---likes to keep things peaceful !

PS...If it was me...please exclude 9 ball niche game. (heh, heh). :p

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Now I am mad

Now I am mad

SJDinPHX said:
Beardmonster,

You're right, John would never butt into a meaningful dialogue, between two pool adversaries. (in public)

However, I'm not real sure, but last week, when I was a little "over-served", John and I were having a late night chat, and I seem to remember him saying something like..."I can beat any loud mouth, no good, story book writing, blowhard from Chicago,... any game he can name, for any amount he can count"... And I think he said, "especially 9-ball banks, or one pocket"

At least I think it was him that said it...maybe it was ME, (too much YJ).. as I said, not real sure, but ONE of us said it. :confused:

But if it WAS him...would that make you pissed enough to play him ? ...Sure not trying to antagonize or instigate...just sayin'.:D :D :cool:

Sand Hound <---likes to keep things peaceful !

PS...If it was me...please exclude 9 ball niche game. (heh, heh). :p

Now I think I am gettin hot. After JH beat Artie, he went and bought one of my shirts, I think just to make sure I dont get pissed at him!
AB and JH played 14 hrs and the total conversation was, Hmm, and hmm. hmm. The lunatic Chicago Mike recorded the whole match. Very exciting stuff. Nobody believes me when I tell them Artie wouldnt shoot the ball a couple inches past the head string with cue ball in hand. Plus it took 10 minutes to decide not to.
Platis is now hot to play Artie. Maybe Arties 14 hr performance was just a spread for Harry?
Lou Figeroa is here also playing in the 1pkt. I am going to steer Truman and Piggy into him to show him their wrist turn shots.

Beard

Grady, Danny Di and I had our pool seminar yesterday. JH was conspicuous by his absence. Actually, he was still playing Artie. At the eight hr period, Larry Swartz made the over/under on the length of the match at 12 hrs. I naturally took the over.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Spoke with Hendy on the horn last night. He said they were both exhausted after their 14-1/2 hour pool-orama. John had to forfeit out of the 1P tourament. Then it was even too late for him to re-buy!

There will probably be some 1P action between he and Lou. Possibly even Hendy and Chicago Mike?

I think Artie and Platis would be a good match. Harry doesn't shoot as well as does Henderson, and he doesn't move as well as does Artie.

I was delighted to see Brumback come through against Efren for his second bank pool title in a row! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

Doc