One pocket is growing

70niner

Verified Member
Seems like when all the local usppa nine ball tournaments get over, the majority of the people you see matching up will be playing one pocket instead of nine ball. Even the weaker players are getting in to it. You dont have to run out all the time. Just be creative. It also seems like it is much easier to match up in one pocket than in nine ball. Whether you play for $10 or $200 a a game, people like to watch one pocket. It was not like that a couple years ago. I love to see the old timers match up with a good young shooter. That is when you will see the railbirds start to line up and then take side action. That is so cool to see people sticking around to sweat a one pocket game instead of going home to watch tv.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
70niner said:
Seems like when all the local usppa nine ball tournaments get over, the majority of the people you see matching up will be playing one pocket instead of nine ball. Even the weaker players are getting in to it. You dont have to run out all the time. Just be creative. It also seems like it is much easier to match up in one pocket than in nine ball. Whether you play for $10 or $200 a a game, people like to watch one pocket. It was not like that a couple years ago. I love to see the old timers match up with a good young shooter. That is when you will see the railbirds start to line up and then take side action. That is so cool to see people sticking around to sweat a one pocket game instead of going home to watch tv.
The tournament scene is picking up too, with three major events this year -- The US Open One Pocket being revived by Mark Griffin, Grady's big Gulf Coast Classic event, and of course the Derby City. Plus real nice regional tournaments like Hard Times, Fast Eddie's, and several satelite events on the Midwest 9-ball tour, and others I've missed as well.

There's a big wave of 'younger' (30-ish :) ) players that have probably matured at their 9-ball game, and One Pocket offers them a game they can still improve at -- for a quite a while -- plus they can convert that strong shooting talent and their growing knowledge into a little cash, too :) :)

I'd credit the DCC for that too, because of the great exposure, as well as the huge 'Master of the Table' bonus that players must compete in all three divisions to be eligible for -- even Archer was trying to learn One Pocket!