J. Brumback vs. J. Parica 2011 D.C.C.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
its calired, miller, lll, and chris banks in one corner banking the stripe
its vapros ,rod , sjd, and billy I. playing safe getting the cue on the one ball
its obvious what the right shot is.............
BANK THE BALL AND WIN THE GAME:p :eek: :rolleyes: :D :)

p.s. to the guys on my team
best not to disagree with the ideas of the other team
they usually are right

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
lll said:
its calired, miller, lll, and chris banks in one corner banking the stripe
its vapros ,rod , sjd, and billy I. playing safe getting the cue on the one ball
its obvious what the right shot is.............
BANK THE BALL AND WIN THE GAME:p
p.s. to the guys on my team
best not to disagree with the ideas of the other team
they usually are right

I'll change teams now that I've heard what Billy has to say :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Frank Almanza said:
I don't think that they are laying correct to do this. It looks to me that if you take the two ball uptable the cue ball is heading to the three ball (even more so with the measle ball. To insure staying on the correct side of the one you will need to draw slightly, but then the two ball is coming toward the three and one ball because more speed will be needed. To avoid having the two ball come back like that you will need to cut the two ball slightly to the left and use a bit of draw. This will leave your opponent many options.

Playing safe here is much more difficult then it appears.
Although I am always burdened with knowing what did and didn't happen in my posted layouts this is also the way it seemed to me when I saw the shot for the first time. It looks like there is no easy roll shot into the 1 ball, I thought the 2 ball was too close to the same plane as the 1 ball for the shot to be shot without draw and more speed on the 2 ball which would bank it back toward the 5 ball in order to put the cueball on the 1 ball. Here's how I saw the shot, it's no good to me, it only works if you put the rock on the 1 ball.

DB's Shot.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Miller said:
i underdstand playing conservative at the end game when ahead, but i dont know how you dont drill the 14 for the win. i am with calired.
Your second statement clearly disproves your first statement.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Although I am always burdened with knowing what did and didn't happen in my posted layouts this is also the way it seemed to me when I saw the shot for the first time. It looks like there is no easy roll shot into the 1 ball, I thought the 2 ball was too close to the same plane as the 1 ball for the shot to be shot without draw and more speed on the 2 ball which would bank it back toward the 5 ball in order to put the cueball on the 1 ball. Here's how I saw the shot, it's no good to me, it only works if you put the rock on the 1 ball.

View attachment 3283
The tangent line is well below the 1 ball, but considering the angle of the shot you will not follow the tangent line ending up below the 1 ball. But since this shot is a feel shot the way I see the shot you will end up striking the 1 ball. I would shoot the shot softly sending the 2 ball close to the top rail and the cue ball bumping the 1 ball softly.

I would accomplish two things with this shot. I would I would disturb the 1 and 3 balls so the combo wouldn't be an option later on for Parica, and I would position the 2 ball some where out of play.

This choice would be a shot that would allow me to weaken my opponents position, and protect my lead.

Billy I.

senor

Verified Member
wincardona said:
The tangent line is well below the 1 ball, but considering the angle of the shot you will not follow the tangent line ending up below the 1 ball. But since this shot is a feel shot the way I see the shot you will end up striking the 1 ball. I would shoot the shot softly sending the 2 ball close to the top rail and the cue ball bumping the 1 ball softly.

I would accomplish two things with this shot. I would I would disturb the 1 and 3 balls so the combo wouldn't be an option later on for Parica, and I would position the 2 ball some where out of play.

This choice would be a shot that would allow me to weaken my opponents position, and protect my lead.

Billy I.

What I envision you describing, you should make sure to get a rail with the cueball/1 ball, because I don't think the 2 will get to the end rail.

And the 3/1 combination...is it just me or is that only an option if the cue ball is frozen to the side rail? Otherwise it looks like a scratch shot to me :confused: Even then it might not be on...looks like the 1 is aimed into the outside point of the corner pocket unless the 3 is cut into the 1 at the scratch angle.

I wouldn't put it past a good banker to shoot here. I don't think Cliff or JJ would shoot. I think Sylver would shoot. I've seen Gabe shoot and not shoot in exactly this type of situation. Just depends how the wind's blowing.

I'm kinda the same way, I might shoot, but really taking a look at the situation, spinning off the 14 and sending the cue ball two or three rails to the bottom rail near John's pocket and the 14 two rails to Jose's side looks like an effective shot. I can't imagine an offensive return that Jose wouldn't really have to come with it.

Of course if the 3/1 is wired that should be addressed like so many have talked about :)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
senor said:
What I envision you describing, you should make sure to get a rail with the cueball/1 ball, because I don't think the 2 will get to the end rail.

And the 3/1 combination...is it just me or is that only an option if the cue ball is frozen to the side rail? Otherwise it looks like a scratch shot to me :confused: Even then it might not be on...looks like the 1 is aimed into the outside point of the corner pocket unless the 3 is cut into the 1 at the scratch angle.

I wouldn't put it past a good banker to shoot here. I don't think Cliff or JJ would shoot. I think Sylver would shoot. I've seen Gabe shoot and not shoot in exactly this type of situation. Just depends how the wind's blowing.

I'm kinda the same way, I might shoot, but really taking a look at the situation, spinning off the 14 and sending the cue ball two or three rails to the bottom rail near John's pocket and the 14 two rails to Jose's side looks like an effective shot. I can't imagine an offensive return that Jose wouldn't really have to come with it.

Of course if the 3/1 is wired that should be addressed like so many have talked about :)

I respect every thing you have said, and in regard to spinning two to three cushions off the stripe is not a bad option at all. But obviously I would only consider that as an option if I was certain that the shot off the 2 ball wasn't available, providing that it is.

By the way I posted on the Joyner/Cooney thread just curious how you would feel about my choice.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
The tangent line is well below the 1 ball...
Billy I.
I don't know if this pic clarifies or further muddies the water but here's the only other view of the layout.

P.S. I'm thinking the cueball, 2 ball and the 13 ball are in alignment although I'm not certain.

View 2.Jpeg

JB's Shot.jpg

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
dennis said:
P.S. I'm thinking the cueball, 2 ball and the 13 ball are in alignment although I'm not certain.

I can take a hint. I thought this soft stop shot was an option when I first looked at this thread.:rolleyes:
Rod

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
IMO, for what it's worth, is that the cue ball needs to be about a half diamond more to the left for the roll up to the one off the two to work.

From where the cue ball is now you need to do something extra to get it to the one ball, which I don't like.

Other options are to roll up to the one to disturb the combination and concede a bank on the two ball. The other option is Rod's option to stop the cue and run the two ball into the 13 ball.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 1 and John needs one ball. What would you do?

View attachment 3267

Hey guys and girls. question?
What If that safe off the 2 ball Into the one Is not laying right?
I'm gonna go watch this again but I don't think that safe into the one Is as easy as It looks.I was probably a little nervous too and if i dog stroke that shot a little, I might not get to a rail or I might hit It to hard and sell out a bank or worse.Another thing Is that combo Is not all that easy unless he's dead on the rail. Maybe I should have watched this first before I posted but I just wanted to say what I was thinking first.

I really don't know if I shot the 14 or not,can't remember.I'm sure not arguing with anyone here,just trying to learn Is all. I don't think I should have banked It either but like someone said,It would be hard for me not to. What If that bank Is like a 65% shot for me? should I go then? If I did shoot at It I think I would try to get all the way back down. Watch out guys I'm learning.hehe JB

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
I really don't know if I shot the 14 or not,can't remember.I'm sure not arguing with anyone here,just trying to learn Is all. I don't think I should have banked It either but like someone said,It would be hard for me not to. What If that bank Is like a 65% shot for me? should I go then? If I did shoot at It I think I would try to get all the way back down. Watch out guys I'm learning.hehe JB

does that mean you might have shot my shot? Banking it at rocket speed and going 2 rails thru those balls to come back downtable underneath everything?

If so.. us great bank players think alike, huh?:D:rolleyes:

If not.. well, whatever;)

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
does that mean you might have shot my shot? Banking it at rocket speed and going 2 rails thru those balls to come back downtable underneath everything?

If so.. us great bank players think alike, huh?:D:rolleyes:

If not.. well, whatever;)

hehe yes,JB

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
John Brumback said:
although im taking alittle liberty with the specifics
this was johns reply to calired asking john if he would shoot the shot as calired described it
mr. fickle team member chris banks want to change your mind about switching teams??:rolleyes: :p
not sure we want you back:eek: :D :D
jk

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
John Brumback said:
Hey guys and girls. question?
What If that safe off the 2 ball Into the one Is not laying right?
I'm gonna go watch this again but I don't think that safe into the one Is as easy as It looks.I was probably a little nervous too and if i dog stroke that shot a little, I might not get to a rail or I might hit It to hard and sell out a bank or worse.Another thing Is that combo Is not all that easy unless he's dead on the rail. Maybe I should have watched this first before I posted but I just wanted to say what I was thinking first.

Being up in balls like you were I don't think the bank is in order even at 65%. You would have to bank it pretty hard to get the cue ball to a safe area. Not an easy thing to do with so much distance and being so close to the rail with the cue ball. Many games like this are lost because of the speed required and the things that could go wrong because of the speed. One of them being that the 14 ball may double the points at your pocket and send it to his side of the table.

I would only shoot for my game ball with speed if I knew it was a completely free shot. I would prefer to wait for an opportunity to bank with lag speed if he needs five like he did here. He is the desperate one not you.

senor

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I respect every thing you have said, and in regard to spinning two to three cushions off the stripe is not a bad option at all. But obviously I would only consider that as an option if I was certain that the shot off the 2 ball wasn't available, providing that it is.

By the way I posted on the Joyner/Cooney thread just curious how you would feel about my choice.

Billy I.

Respect is mutual. I added my thoughts to the Joyner/Cooney thread regarding the spot that Cliff left Jack in.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank Almanza said:
Being up in balls like you were I don't think the bank is in order even at 65%. You would have to bank it pretty hard to get the cue ball to a safe area. Not an easy thing to do with so much distance and being so close to the rail with the cue ball. Many games like this are lost because of the speed required and the things that could go wrong because of the speed. One of them being that the 14 ball may double the points at your pocket and send it to his side of the table.

I would only shoot for my game ball with speed if I knew it was a completely free shot. I would prefer to wait for an opportunity to bank with lag speed if he needs five like he did here. He is the desperate one not you.
That was a perfect description of why imo John shot the the wrong shot.

If I played and banked as well as John I really couldn't tell you for certain that I wouldn't of banked at the stripe. First I never banked as well as John, and secondly, at my age any bank figures to not be an option. But what I can tell you is I like what Mr. Almanza had to say, and I promise you Frank i'll follow your advice.:D

Billy I.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Whether I bank or not, I am concerned about the 'safe zone' several people have mentioned as a place to leave the CB. Jose has two bankable balls that he can reach from that area, and even better is a bank into the wired combination, which is much easier than trying to hit the pocket, and solves several problems for him. It might not go, but then it might. He is the one in need of a magic bullet, not me.

John Brumback

Verified Member
vapros said:
Whether I bank or not, I am concerned about the 'safe zone' several people have mentioned as a place to leave the CB. Jose has two bankable balls that he can reach from that area, and even better is a bank into the wired combination, which is much easier than trying to hit the pocket, and solves several problems for him. It might not go, but then it might. He is the one in need of a magic bullet, not me.

That's good thinking and I like It.I got to be more careful.Thanks,John B.