Magic rack for one pocket?

chicagomike

Verified Member
All this talk about making a ball on the break got me wondering if there is a magic rack for one pocket? I guess it wouldn't be practical since the balls will likely remain positioned on top of the template for some time and may interfere with the balls rolling.

Sure would be nice if the balls could rack consistently every time...or maybe not???

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the problem as you stated is the rack would get in the way i think in the early parts of the game
i dont think i have an 8 bal magic rack but i do have a 10 ball one
i will try to play some 1p using it and see how much it gets in the way and report back
as for do you want a perfect rack i am not sure either
one aspect of one pocket i love is trying to get out of the break
i think not having "perfect" racks helps for the variety of how the balls spread
it would be a shame if the magic rack ends up causing a "pattern" layout after the break

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Magic Rack

Magic Rack

Someone would figure out how to noodle a couple balls and make a ball on the break every time, like nine ball.:D

Kybanks

Verified Member
I play on a table that has the "rings" stuck on it. The 8 ball rings of course and there isn't much issue as I would have thought there would be with the rings interfering with the roll of the balls. We play re-rack if you make a ball on the break, which does happen quite often. With that being said, if I ever get a table I will have the "rings" put on as my racking system.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I play on a table that has the "rings" stuck on it. The 8 ball rings of course and there isn't much issue as I would have thought there would be with the rings interfering with the roll of the balls. We play re-rack if you make a ball on the break, which does happen quite often. With that being said, if I ever get a table I will have the "rings" put on as my racking system.

Interesting...I have never heard of that application. You're talking about the punched hole reinforcement adhesive rings you might use for a binder? How many do you use? I would imagine it would be difficult to position fifteen of them in the correct spots.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Interesting...I have never heard of that application. You're talking about the punched hole reinforcement adhesive rings you might use for a binder? How many do you use? I would imagine it would be difficult to position fifteen of them in the correct spots.

Yes, they come in a 9 ball template, or an 8 ball template. The whole template is peel and stick and once you have the head ball and back ball of the template straight, you place it and remove the excess template just leaving the rings.

Kybanks

Verified Member

If you can't find em online let me know, cause I know a guy that has them for about $10 a set.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Yes, they come in a 9 ball template, or an 8 ball template. The whole template is peel and stick and once you have the head ball and back ball of the template straight, you place it and remove the excess template just leaving the rings.

I guess the only thing missing is the approval of the pool room owner???

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I guess the only thing missing is the approval of the pool room owner???
I tried 'em out on a table at my friend's pool room and they were fine - until I removed 'em. Then they left a little glue residue that collected dirt and turned dark, leaving little (permanent) black donuts on the cloth - my friend wasn't happy.

pj
chgo

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
If you have a home table, you can train the cloth by always racking aligned to exact marks on the cloth. After a few months, you can rack tight without a rack at all. Just roll the balls in place!
Of coarse, you also have to train the other players, so they don't spoil it.

frmn

Verified Member
I had a Sardo rack and tried it for racking 1pocket. If you are looking for consistent breaks it was real good. The problem is the return of serve is always the same. I like the variance of regularly racked balls.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I had a Sardo rack and tried it for racking 1pocket. If you are looking for consistent breaks it was real good. The problem is the return of serve is always the same. I like the variance of regularly racked balls.

I mean, a big reason why we all like One Pocket finding creative ways to deal with all different kinds of situations -- why not start right with the break? Sounds good to me!

frmn

Verified Member
I should change the wording of my last sentence to "normally" racked balls with the rack. The Sardo was to predictable and I believe that a template would also give the same break over and over again, boring.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I should change the wording of my last sentence to "normally" racked balls with the rack. The Sardo was to predictable and I believe that a template would also give the same break over and over again, boring.

One pocket should never be boring!