• Start 4PM Fri, no eliminations Fri, late play Sat & Sun full 3/3 format

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
OK, we have to decide this, so travelers can firm up their plans in the event they are not simply coming early anyway. This is a multiple choice poll, so feel free to choose several options if you want -- but you have to make all of your choices before you submit your vote!

1. Start Friday at noon playing all matches 3/3 both sides of the bracket, three complete rounds Friday (16 players will be eliminated Friday night), four rounds Saturday and three rounds to finish relatively early Sunday. All matches entire tournament 3/3 both sides of the bracket.
  2. Start Friday at 4PM playing two rounds 3/3 both sides Friday (8 players will be eliminated Friday night), five rounds 3/2 Saturday, and three rounds 3/3 Sunday.
  3. Start Friday at 4PM playing two rounds winner side only races to 3 (no one will be eliminated Friday), play five rounds Saturday 3/2 and finish with 4 rounds Sunday 3/2.
  4. Start Friday at 4PM playing two rounds winner side only races to 3 (no one will be eliminated Friday), play five rounds as late as necessary Saturday 3/3 and finish with 4 rounds Sunday 3/3 as late as necessary.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
OK guys, weigh in! Basically there are three priorities to consider as I look at it:

• If it is really important not to eliminate any players Friday, or if that is OK because we are going to stick around and have fun anyway
  • If we feel strongly about finishing at a reasonable hour on Sunday vs potentially the wee hours of Monday morning
  • If we feel strongly about races to 3 vs races to 2 in the one-loss side

As I see it, we cannot have all three -- one or two have to give a little (or maybe a lot lol)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
OK guys, weigh in! Basically there are three priorities to consider as I look at it:

• If it is really important not to eliminate any players Friday, or if that is OK because we are going to stick around and have fun anyway
  • If we feel strongly about finishing at a reasonable hour on Sunday vs potentially the wee hours of Monday morning
  • If we feel strongly about races to 3 vs races to 2 in the one-loss side

As I see it, we cannot have all three -- one or two have to give a little (or maybe a lot lol)

Ok, I'll weigh in. None of the 'poll' format choices represent 'choice 2' of your original #1 post. Which has play starting Friday @ 4pm playing 3/3 - 2 rds. & 1/4 field eliminated. I would like to see this start @ approx. noon! Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ok, I'll weigh in. None of the formats has play starting Friday @ 12pm playing 3/3 - 2 rds. & 1/4 field eliminated. Whitey
You are right you could start earlier Friday but why would you since you are only playing two matches per player anyway? The only advantage would be an earlier finish Friday night only. If that is your preference I would say still vote for that choice #2 (two rounds Friday with 1/4 of the field eliminated) with the comment that you want to start earlier friday regardless.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I find myself confused by all this.

The US One Pocket Open, 4/4, and with fields approaching 64 players, would start on Friday and be done by Sunday. So with a smaller field, 3/3, and plenty of tables I'm surprise there's an issue at all. Up at Red Shoes, Monsignor Lavin runs a 3/2, with fields approaching 30 players, all in one day.

As to players being eliminated the first night how about just playing two rounds on the winners side. Saturday, those on the loser's side come in early and catch that side up and everyone is still in it after the first night.

One last thought: starting mid-day makes it tough to fly in Friday morning.

Lou Figueroa

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
MOT tournament schedule & races poll

The US One Pocket Open, 4/4, and with fields approaching 64 players, would start on Friday and be done by Sunday. So with a smaller field, 3/3, and plenty of tables I'm surprise there's an issue at all. Up at Red Shoes, Monsignor Lavin runs a 3/2, with fields approaching 30 players, all in one day.

As to players being eliminated the first night how about just playing two rounds on the winners side. Saturday, those on the loser's side come in early and catch that side up and everyone is still in it after the first night.

Lou Figueroa

I like your idea about playing two winners rounds on Friday Lou for knockout purposes. Also agree with the Friday start time comment. I wouldn’t want to preclude anyone from being able to attend for just a few hours difference.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You are right you could start earlier Friday but why would you since you are only playing two matches per player anyway? The only advantage would be an earlier finish Friday night only. If that is your preference I would say still vote for that choice #2 (two rounds Friday with 1/4 of the field eliminated) with the comment that you want to start earlier friday regardless.
Your right! I was just thinking wrong. Thanks for the clarification. I am not voting, for I promised Scrzbil that I would not vote on the MOT if I am not going, he is a stickler on that point, and I have always agreed with that point of his! And for right now MOT is not in the plans. Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, they did that at last year's MOT I fell greatly behind. They could do that but they would have to go to a race to 2 -IMO- on the 1 loss side to play catch up, because the tournament can not continue until they catch up. That is represented in poll #3 & 4 anyway. Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

Lou Figueroa

This has been thoroughly discussed in the past. We commonly have race to three matches on both sides lasting 4-5 hours. The last day of the yearly MOT has a track record of finishing at 3-5 am hence the poll.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Lou Figueroa

I like this. I am against anyone being eliminated on the first day of a three day tournament, even if it DOES mean playing longer on Sunday.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Lou Figueroa

If you don’t have a losers round Friday the tournament will severely lag behind like at California Billiards.
In fact if we have another MOT there, I would protest California Billiards telling us not to have any eliminations on Friday

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Lou Figueroa
I think maybe its our demographic lol. This is based on three different locations all 32 players for our prior events -- all running into the wee hours Sunday.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
How about this ?

Calcutta at 12 or 1 on Friday. Start play right after draw, play 3 rounds at approx. 2, 5 and 8.

Players that are paid and not able to play at 2(possibly 5 also), have to play at least one round at 8.

Start 4th round at 10 Saturday, with the lagging matches receiving priority.

4 rounds on Saturday at hopefully 10, 1, 4 and 7.

Sunday at 11 or noon, if you only want 3 rounds at most to be played, we need to have only 2 players on losers side and 2 winners left. PLAY both at 11(or 12)

Semi's at 2 or 2:30. Finals at 5 or 6. Should be finished by 9, 10.

Viewers, present and online, would get to watch all of the event.

I know that 3:15 in Chicago was very late finish. BUT, the 5:30 finish was horrible in California. Was present luckily at both finishes. Won in Chicago,
(as Tom said, Lazarus) and had jtompilot, Jim, in Calcutta in California.

EVERYONE, I mean everyone, should try to speed up their game. How long do you have to look at a shot before you make up your mind to shoot ?

I am not an advocate of a shot clock, or the Grady rule(have never played).

But, we may have to address slow play somehow. Especially, if we allow 3 or 4 smoke breaks in between games.

Just my rambling opinions. But I want 1pkt to be enjoyable for everyone, players and viewers, alike.:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
How about this ?

Calcutta at 12 or 1 on Friday. Start play right after draw, play 3 rounds at approx. 2, 5 and 8.

Players that are paid and not able to play at 2(possibly 5 also), have to play at least one round at 8.

Start 4th round at 10 Saturday, with the lagging matches receiving priority.

4 rounds on Saturday at hopefully 10, 1, 4 and 7.

Sunday at 11 or noon, if you only want 3 rounds at most to be played, we need to have only 2 players on losers side and 2 winners left. PLAY both at 11(or 12)

Semi's at 2 or 2:30. Finals at 5 or 6. Should be finished by 9, 10.

Viewers, present and online, would get to watch all of the event.

I know that 3:15 in Chicago was very late finish. BUT, the 5:30 finish was horrible in California. Was present luckily at both finishes. Won in Chicago,
(as Tom said, Lazarus) and had jtompilot, Jim, in Calcutta in California.

EVERYONE, I mean everyone, should try to speed up their game. How long do you have to look at a shot before you make up your mind to shoot ?

I am not an advocate of a shot clock, or the Grady rule(have never played).

But, we may have to address slow play somehow. Especially, if we allow 3 or 4 smoke breaks in between games.

Just my rambling opinions. But I want 1pkt to be enjoyable for everyone, players and viewers, alike.:)
That's pretty near exactly option #1 in the poll -- except for the lecture about speeding up play :D:D

(which I agree with you on)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'm good with whaTEVER THE MASSES VOTE IN, BUT i PLANNED MY FLIGHT TO ARRIVE tHURSDAY NIGHT ANTICIPATING A late afternoon start time so I can get some practice in.

Sorry about the caps, but was too lazy to redo it. But again, I'm playing no matter what. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Dave

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Its obvious looking at the poll results that players want tournament play to start @ noon Friday, and they do not want to play a 3/2 format.

Who would want to do a race to 2 after all this expense and traveling, hardly no one. Thus not many votes in favor of this. Thus leaving 1 choice #1, for not many want to go with #4 anymore.

16 players eliminated the first day is quite a bit. I like the 'fairness' of John H. comments that no one should be eliminated the first day of a '3 day tournament'.

If #1 choice runs over schedule then 2 rds. would be played and 8 players would be eliminated. Then 3/3 play resumes and rd. of 16 to be determined Saturday @ approx. 2 pm. Possibly a forced compromise between 16 players being eliminated vs. no players being eliminated the first day. Whitey

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I like this. I am against anyone being eliminated on the first day of a three day tournament, even if it DOES mean playing longer on Sunday.

I think we could start at 2:00 on Friday and do three rounds at 3-4 hours each. that would facilitate Friday travel.

I also think we could do a single elim $50 race to 2 tournament on Saturday when fewer tables are needed for those who are eliminated in the first 2-3 rounds.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I sincerely hope that at this MOT a match score & match time is recorded for each match. It would be easy to record on the bracket board.

This will be a very beneficial record to fall back on when determining formats for future MOT's. I was able to review last year's Senior event and was able to decipher that the avg. match score was 3-1. This turned out to be a valuable record to determine the viability of an alternative format, but still lacking was concrete evidence of per/game time.

As it stands right now, we are going to be doing 3 full rds. Friday 3/3, and 4 full rds. Saturday 3/3, and no one actually knows how long that will take.

Question; Last year's MOT final on Sunday, I believe was 3 rds. of 3/3 & Championship match race to 4 = 4rds. was it not?
If it was, then we can get a pretty good idea of how long this 'can' take, for this nearly emulates Saturday's play of 4 rds.

This is of course a suggestion, but I am speaking to all the MOT participants, and surely someone can foresee the value in this, and have the care taker of the bracket carry this out! Knowing how long a match takes, would also be of great importance in regards to the Senior event.
thank you, Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I sincerely hope that at this MOT a match score & match time is recorded for each match. It would be easy to record on the bracket board.

This will be a very beneficial record to fall back on when determining formats for future MOT's. I was able to review last year's Senior event and was able to decipher that the avg. match score was 3-1. This turned out to be a valuable record to determine the viability of an alternative format, but still lacking was concrete evidence of per/game time.

As it stands right now, we are going to be doing 3 full rds. Friday 3/3, and 4 full rds. Saturday 3/3, and no one actually knows how long that will take.

Question; Last year's MOT final on Sunday, I believe was 3 rds. of 3/3 & Championship match race to 4 = 4rds. was it not?
If it was, then we can get a pretty good idea of how long this 'can' take, for this nearly emulates Saturday's play of 4 rds.

This is of course a suggestion, but I am speaking to all the MOT participants, and surely someone can foresee the value in this, and have the care taker of the bracket carry this out! Knowing how long a match takes, would also be of great importance in regards to the Senior event.
thank you, Whitey
Good question, but I doubt very much it was only 3 rounds on Sunday -- 3 rounds is just the final 4 players. I would hope it doesn't take a whole day until 3 in the AM to wrap up with only four players left!! :eek::eek:

Yes, good idea to keep track of score and time.

It is also no question that our membership has more than a few players that like a leisurely pace to the game, shall we say...