Play the table or not?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This is an old subject but maybe it will bring out some new opinions. I'd like to examine it from the standpoint of shot choice. Do you play the table, i.e. choose the same shot in a given situation nomatter who you're playing or for what or do you alter your shot choice according to the opponent or stakes or other considerations.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
This is an old subject but maybe it will bring out some new opinions. I'd like to examine it from the standpoint of shot choice. Do you play the table, i.e. choose the same shot in a given situation nomatter who you're playing or for what or do you alter your shot choice according to the opponent or stakes or other considerations.
I have to say that I play my opponent at times, I know what I can shoot against them and also what they will or wont shoot against me. Certain players I can bank a ball and get it close and know that my opponent will move that ball instead of shooting at their hole and others will shoot. I am not going to play the same shots against Frost that I do against a player of average ability because his ability and shot making are just too good, so I play the table more often than not against a better player.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
This is an old subject but maybe it will bring out some new opinions. I'd like to examine it from the standpoint of shot choice. Do you play the table, i.e. choose the same shot in a given situation no matter who you're playing or for what or do you alter your shot choice according to the opponent or stakes or other considerations.

Often. Depending on how the table is playing (wet or not) and how my opponent will shoot.(at everything or mostly safe) The bet, not so much.
Rod. :)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have always thought play the table is way way too simplistic. I think you can get to a certain level that way, but to really play top flight pool, you must be exploiting weaknesses. Go back 20 years or so, and you play allen hopkins in round one, then reyes round two.... if you just play the table, I think you totally decreased your chances (assuming you play weaknesses well -- which is a must at some point). If you just asked what are reyes' weaknesses, I think patience.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I have to say that I play my opponent at times, I know what I can shoot against them and also what they will or wont shoot against me. Certain players I can bank a ball and get it close and know that my opponent will move that ball instead of shooting at their hole and others will shoot. I am not going to play the same shots against Frost that I do against a player of average ability because his ability and shot making are just too good, so I play the table more often than not against a better player.

lenny if playing the table gives you a better chance against scott ot better players why wouldnt you do that against lesser players???

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Let's talk about the bet, should it influence you with your shot selection? This has always been a highly controversial subject, and i'll try to answer it as objectively as possible. No, it shouldn't, but it could change how you feel about your ability to perform, and if that's the case then you will be better served to look at other possible options.Why would a shot be more, or less correct because of the size of the bet? Whether you're playing for $10 or $1,000 the best shot for the situation wouldn't change the situation. But it may create negative thoughts, which has nothing to do with the shot not being the correct shot, if it actually is. But like I mentioned if so look elsewhere.:eek: Is this a flaw? yes, but one that is correctable, with a confidence building exercise.

How about playing your opponent? Knowing how to play your opponent is a crucial ingredient in the recipe for success. Knowing your opponents weaknesses and strengths will offer you a menu of good and bad things to do, or not to do, to defeat him. This understanding will give you reasons for selecting one particular option over another, in terms of figuring out your best chance of beating a particular player.

Should the table effect your shot selection? Yes, playing on tighter pockets will offer more options, in terms of defense. It will also allow you to play more aggressively, providing you know how to take advantage of the pocket size. You can play more power shots, moving balls toward your pocket and leaving distance. Distance will become one of your stronger ally's playing on tight pocket tables, from a defensive stand point. You can play more creatively, and use more imagination when playing on tight equipment. Reason being that you can afford to challenge your opponent more often, especially if you leave distance as an ally.

Everything I mentioned will aid you in table management, and the better manager you are at the table, the better chance you have of winning. But it also helps to have a good game.:D

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Let's talk about the bet, should it influence you with your shot selection? This has always been a highly controversial subject, and i'll try to answer it as objectively as possible. No, it shouldn't, but it could change how you feel about your ability to perform, and if that's the case then you will be better served to look at other possible options.Why would a shot be more, or less correct because of the size of the bet? Whether you're playing for $10 or $1,000 the best shot for the situation wouldn't change the situation. But it may create negative thoughts, which has nothing to do with the shot not being the correct shot, if it actually is. But like I mentioned if so look elsewhere.:eek: Is this a flaw? yes, but one that is correctable, with a confidence building exercise.

How about playing your opponent? Knowing how to play your opponent is a crucial ingredient in the recipe for success. Knowing your opponents weaknesses and strengths will offer you a menu of good and bad things to do, or not to do, to defeat him. This understanding will give you reasons for selecting one particular option over another, in terms of figuring out your best chance of beating a particular player.

Should the table effect your shot selection? Yes, playing on tighter pockets will offer more options, in terms of defense. It will also allow you to play more aggressively, providing you know how to take advantage of the pocket size. You can play more power shots, moving balls toward your pocket and leaving distance. Distance will become one of your stronger ally's playing on tight pocket tables, from a defensive stand point. You can play more creatively, and use more imagination when playing on tight equipment. Reason being that you can afford to challenge your opponent more often, especially if you leave distance as an ally.

Everything I mentioned will aid you in table management, and the better manager you are at the table, the better chance you have of winning. But it also helps to have a good game.:D

Dr. Bill

This reminds of a match that Ervolino told me he played. He was playing Tony Fargo( i think that who he said) one pocket and he kept getting the lead each game and started knocking balls uptable but Fargo kept shooting at and making the long banks over and over so eventually Johnny said "**** this shit" and kept the balls downtable when Johnny had the lead and just outmoved Fargo to win.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I really never expected such great answers. I do agree with those who say that circumstances might alter your shot choice. I know they do for me. OPH's story about Johhny and Tony reminds me of Dave Krenzel's story of playing Silver at DCC a couple of years ago. He said he got a few balls ahead and knocked em all north like you're supposed to but Silver just banked em all in. I think 'play the table' was Mosconi's advice. That's fine if you're Mosconi but I can't help thinking that his opponents might have passed on a hard, makeable shot or two in favor or a lead pipe safety knowing that Willie was breathing down their neck if they missed. I'm still trying to absorb Dr. Bill's advice about the bet. I know he's right but I keep thinking I will go for a lot more for $5 a game than for $100 a game. Maybe I should be playing them all like they're for $100.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Pocket billiards....

Pocket billiards....

.....requires you to play your opponent first ,then the table will follow for a second option if he's stronger.3-cushion requires more emphasis on the table.These are the rule with the usual exceptions.Cheers,Jack