Draw shot on ball frozen to rail: Why does it pull away from rail?

ktrepal85

Can anyone explain why when I shoot these two shots with draw the object ball always seems to pull away from the rail? I don't always miss the shot but it always comes off the rail some, maybe an inch, by the time it hits the pocket. If I use high or high inside the ball always stays glued to the rail.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's possible that you're hitting the OB slightly into the rail, or slightly over-cutting it. I don't believe there is any physical reason why straight draw would alter the angle of the shot. Same thing with straight topspin. Inside spin might tend to throw the OB into the rail, depending upon the cut angle.

Maybe Patrick Johnson will chip in here.

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
preciseness of the hit. since the cue ball is traveling a long way against the rail the slightest bit off in either direction misses the shot.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
If you are using a even a slight downward stroke when drawing the cue ball the cue ball will always jump some. Part of the cue ball is under the rail so as the cue ball comes up the top of the cushion gets in the way pushing it away from the rail. There is an old prop bet I can show you at a later time that's taken from this idea.

I'm not sure what you question is regarding the second image.

I hope this explanation is clear.

Tom

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
My old partner always made the 2nd example. I always had your problem.
He said forget about the rail or rail first, just shoot it like the rail's not there.
Rod.
P.S. It helped me.

unoperro

Verified Member
Balls frozen on rail before the side pocket,often require draw to keep them from dipping into the side pocket, causing a bad miss.