Three fouls

Mike B.

How is this handled by most when matching up/gambling? I just assumed that three consecutive fouls in one pocket was always loss of game. My opponent had never heard of that, and we made a phone call to a reputable player/gambler, and he told us that usually it has to be agreed on before the match starts.

In my opinion, if that was the case, and there was not a three foul rule, you could just take an intentional scratch forever! I understand how it could be an option in 9 ball, but not in one pocket.

Anyway, I was just wondering how this is handled by others, as one pocket is relatively new in our area (Des Moines, Iowa.)

Mike B.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
3 fouls

3 fouls

Here is the rule from 1p.o's "Complete Rules":

7. Three fouls in a row
Three consecutive fouls is loss of game, however the opponent or tournament referee must notify the player that is on two fouls, prior to their third foul. Should no notice occur until after the shot resulting in the third foul is in motion, it is not immediate loss of game, but the player will be considered to be on two fouls for their next shot.

The three fouls rule is often waived in after hours situations by agreement between the players.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
People play by different rules. Before EVERY one pocket match, I ask my opponent 3 questions regarding the rules:

1. Is 3 fouls a loss of game?
2. Is an objet ball jumped off the table a foul?
3. When you have ball in hand behind the line, do you go by the center of the cue ball and object ball or the entire ball, to determine if you can shoot the shot.

Agreeing on these 3 rules with every opponent is essential in my opinion.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
3 fouls

3 fouls

To my knowledge the 3 foul rule is a tournment rule, . Object balls and the head string are generally subject to "House" rules as to whole ball or center of the ball. After hours play or wagering rules should be established before play , less stress *LOL* Object ball leaving the table ,is it a foul ?????????

Official_Donator

I may be pretty new to this game, but I've hit some really STUPID shots (now that I know a little more) and don't see how you can end up with an object ball getting knocked off the table. The only way I can see this happening is if there is a ball in your opponent's jaws, you try to scratch on it, and manage to send both balls airborne. Is it just me or should the ball flying be left to that game with only one striped ball on the table?:confused:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Sleepers. You should also always ask about how sleepers will be handled.

Lou Figueroa
wouldn't hurt to ask
about push shots either

iusedtoberich said:
People play by different rules. Before EVERY one pocket match, I ask my opponent 3 questions regarding the rules:

1. Is 3 fouls a loss of game?
2. Is an objet ball jumped off the table a foul?
3. When you have ball in hand behind the line, do you go by the center of the cue ball and object ball or the entire ball, to determine if you can shoot the shot.

Agreeing on these 3 rules with every opponent is essential in my opinion.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Official_Donator said:
I may be pretty new to this game, but I've hit some really STUPID shots (now that I know a little more) and don't see how you can end up with an object ball getting knocked off the table. The only way I can see this happening is if there is a ball in your opponent's jaws, you try to scratch on it, and manage to send both balls airborne. Is it just me or should the ball flying be left to that game with only one striped ball on the table?:confused:
From "Complete Rules" on 1p.o:

6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

Mike B.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will make sure to discuss these rules with my opponent before every match from now on.

Mike B.

t-dog

Verified Member
Mike B. said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will make sure to discuss these rules with my opponent before every match from now on.

Mike B.

Yeah, better not try that sh!t w/ me or i'll beat like I did last time. jk. Are you going do to a tourney in missouri in june or july?
Troy

Mike B.

I would like to go to Olathe in July. http://9balltour.com/

One pocket tournament starts Thurs. July 6th at 8 pm. You interested in going?

I will be at Big Dog's tonight also, at about 7.

Mike B.

t-dog

Verified Member
yes

yes

I am pretty sure I am in. I just have to check and see whats going on with my kids sports. I'll let you know for sure by sunday. I am thinking about playing some tuesday night at big dogs. Later..........

Mike B. said:
I would like to go to Olathe in July. http://9balltour.com/

One pocket tournament starts Thurs. July 6th at 8 pm. You interested in going?

I will be at Big Dog's tonight also, at about 7.

Mike B.