One Pocket HOF Candidates for 2007

zchick

When does consideration begin for nominating and/or voting for candidates for next year's HOF honorees? Also, I'm curious why Strawberry Brooks hasn't been included. Does anyone know? I've noticed his quote "One Pocket...it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure" is on one of the t-shirts sold by OnePocket.org, as well as a signature for NH Steve. Just curious....

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
zchick said:
When does consideration begin for nominating and/or voting for candidates for next year's HOF honorees? Also, I'm curious why Strawberry Brooks hasn't been included. Does anyone know? I've noticed his quote "One Pocket...it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure" is on one of the t-shirts sold by OnePocket.org, as well as a signature for NH Steve. Just curious....
The voting takes place in November, and for the last year two years the nominations have officially begun in September. Actually, anyone who has a favorite candidate is encouraged right now to begin getting together any documentation, photos, etc together, and get them to me so that I can create a better information page on 'your' favored candidate. The more people know about these players, the more likely they are to vote for them.

I would say the only reason Strawberry has not been on the ballot is that there are so many great candidates, it becomes tough to include them all.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Who could beat who

Who could beat who

As the nominations begin to roll in for 1pk HOF, I am going to add -- and nobody asked me to -- my little slant on who probably could beat who playing 1pkt amongst the living and the dead. It'll be purely an exercise in absurdity. I'll be right most of the time though. Might stir up some differences of opinion.

the Beard

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
OK Beard try this one-

What current members of the HOF do you think Strawberry would have beaten? I was present when a few of them came up short playing him.

interesting thread

Jakie

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Strawberry

Strawberry

Jakie said:
OK Beard try this one-

What current members of the HOF do you think Strawberry would have beaten? I was present when a few of them came up short playing him.

interesting thread

Jakie

IMO -- HOF class of 2004
Grady -- no way, needed a spot
Ronnie -- no way, needed a spot
Jersey Red -- no way, needed a spot
Danny DiLiberto -- probably not
Nick Varner -- no way, needed a spot
Efren -- no way, needed a big spot
Bugs -- no way, needed a big spot
Cornbread -- no way, needed a spot
Weenie Beenie -- Strawberry the favorite
Boston Shorty -- no way
Eddie Taylor -- of course not

HOF class of 2005
Artie -- impossible
Squirrel -- impossible (when he was in his prime)
Steve Cook -- no way
Eddie Kelly -- impossible

You must understand that my opinion is based on my playing him even in a black pool room on Chicago's South Side. We played all through the night and I charged him $10,000. Not being able to beat the above crew is certainly not a disgrace. Beenie was probably the only guy I thought for sure I could beat out of that batch. Even though I have won playing even against Bugs, Grady, and Steve Cook, playing for parts of my body I would want a spot from all those guys. I'm sure Strawberry probably played a lot better in DC. To elaborate further, with the above guys out of the way, I think for this year's ballot Strawberry belongs on it.

I want to reply slightly to the Cal re Marvin Henderson. Probably was the favorite against Weenie Beenie only. But he would be the favorite against Strawberry. (I beat Marvin in Bensingers playing on a 5 x 10. Didn't want none anywhere else.)

the Beard

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
"Champagne" Eddie Kelly should be a lock this year. He won tournaments, and was one of the most feared back room players. I'd think anyone who gave Ronnie Allen 9-8 would be a shoo-in for the HOF. ;)

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Too late, Doc

Too late, Doc

gulfportdoc said:
"Champagne" Eddie Kelly should be a lock this year. He won tournaments, and was one of the most feared back room players. I'd think anyone who gave Ronnie Allen 9-8 would be a shoo-in for the HOF. ;)

Doc

Doc, you are a year too late. Kelly was elected in last year. He just didnt show up for the ceremony. Also, he got 9 to 8 and 8 to 7 from Ronnie, not the other way around. Getting old is a bitch.

the Beard

thepavlos

Verified Member
From
BOSTON, MA
Hayden Lingo

Hayden Lingo

I am by no means an expert but shouldn't Hayden Lingo be top on the list since he is credited as being one of the originators of the game as played today.
Paul

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
I think that Buddy Hall has played well enough for long enough to warrant induction into the HOF.....
Doug
(I mean, he's only 61, but let's not wait until he's dead to induct him.. OK)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
Doc, you are a year too late. Kelly was elected in last year. He just didnt show up for the ceremony. Also, he got 9 to 8 and 8 to 7 from Ronnie, not the other way around. Getting old is a bitch.

the Beard
Ha! You're sure right about the age! In 4 years I'll be as old as you...:D I think that's right about Ronnie and Eddie. I saw them play in '69, so it's been a few years. What confused me was that I've heard Ronnie say something like he could beat Eddie giving him 8-7, but for some reason he couldn't win giving him 9-8. He thought that was peculiar, because it should have been the other way around.

Well, since Eddie is in, I'll change my vote to Marshall Carpenter. He didn't get in yet, did he? :confused:

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Doc, please.

Doc, please.

gulfportdoc said:
Ha! You're sure right about the age! In 4 years I'll be as old as you...:D I think that's right about Ronnie and Eddie. I saw them play in '69, so it's been a few years. What confused me was that I've heard Ronnie say something like he could beat Eddie giving him 8-7, but for some reason he couldn't win giving him 9-8. He thought that was peculiar, because it should have been the other way around.

Well, since Eddie is in, I'll change my vote to Marshall Carpenter. He didn't get in yet, did he? :confused:

Doc

Doc, they've got all kinds of new herbs and medicine out there now. There is still hope. Squirrel was inducted along with Steve Cook and Artie Bodendorfer last January. We had a great time with him. He's a very colorful guy.
the Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Rags, Lingo & Clem

Rags, Lingo & Clem

Hayden Lingo and Rags Fitzpatrick are the two most stand out players from One Pocket's past that absolutely belong in the HOF. These are the guys that taught the rest of the guys (that are already in the HOF!). These two, along with undercover player Clem Metz, are also the only remaining players that our current HOF guys give the nod to as the only players they could not consistently beat.

All three are 'relatively unknown' compared to our current HOF players, and compared to current players -- Clem and Lingo because they always shunned publicity and avoided tournaments -- Rags because he died the year before the first Johnston City event.

From what I have learned, Rags would have been one of the biggest stars of Johnston City -- maybe the biggest. He is consistently described as the best all around player of his time, plus he is consistently described as a crowd favorite.

Lingo is credited with being the earliest known top One Pocket player -- the guy that had "perfected the game" as early as 1930, and the player always mentioned as the best, right up into the Johnston City years. He was the master of the defensive game, even in his senior years. He totally shunned publicity and even avoided being photographed.

Metz is of the same undercover school of players as Lingo, and likewise known to favor the defensive style of play. He is one of the few top players remaining from the old school.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
....I say....play it off....lol.....

....I say....play it off....lol.....

....if a player has passed..you can only judge his past games...but if they're still alive...I say take the .....Top 3 Nominee's....and let 'em ...play it off....that's how they would have done it....40 years ago.....hmmmmmmm...lol...maybe they used to call that...."Johnson City"......they're all ......"Great Players"....but...I do like..."Buddie's Game".....I'd give him....a sawbuck...to borrow it and play y'all......lol.....