One-handed One Pocket

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The one-handed One Pocket played out last night -- I mean this morning :)
This was sponsored by Greg Sullivan and OnePocket.org and had 1500 added. We got 27 players.

Onepocket.org was also well represented in the field. I'll have photos soon.

Jose Parica had a great day yesterday, being inducted int the One Pocket Hall of Fame, but he slipped to second in the one-handed tournament (maybe the first of these DCC one-handed events he has not won).

Here are the results and payouts. I think they went with a $25 entry fee -- good deal with 1500 added.

1. Dave Krenzel
2. Jose Parica
3. Jason Miller
4. Tony Moughey
5. Carey Radebaugh
6. Steve Hickman
7. Greg Sullivan
8. Josh Roberts

They finished at about 8 AM -- somehow I dragged my ass through to the end, and I wasn't playing -- I don't know how the players do it!

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
??

??

NH Steve said:
This was sponsored by Greg Sullivan and OnePocket.org and had 1500 added. We got 27 players.

Jose Parica had a great day yesterday, being inducted int the One Pocket Hall of Fame, but he slipped to second in the one-handed tournament (maybe the first of these DCC one-handed events he has not won).

Here are the results and payouts. I think they went with a $25 entry fee -- good deal with 1500 added.

1. Dave Krenzel
2. Jose Parica
3. Jason Miller
4. Tony Moughey
5. Carey Radebaugh
6. Steve Hickman
7. Greg Sullivan
8. Josh Roberts

They finished at about 8 AM -- somehow I dragged my ass through to the end, and I wasn't playing -- I don't know how the players do it!

Just curious, have not heard, has there been any Ronnie Allen sightings. Or was he there and played in the one handed. After all he was one of the best in the country. I saw him last week in Calif. and he said he was going as soon as he hustled the room rent. lol.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
suki said:
Just curious, have not heard, has there been any Ronnie Allen sightings. Or was he there and played in the one handed. After all he was one of the best in the country. I saw him last week in Calif. and he said he was going as soon as he hustled the room rent. lol.

Suki,

RA did not make it this time. He called me yesterday and he's still at Howard's in San Jose. Says he's going to try and makes Gabe's Tourney.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Photo gallery from the one-handed event:

http://onepocket.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=11077110&AlbumKey=XDdLr

SJDinPHX

Suspended

SJDinPHX said:
Has John been drinking again ? Doesn't he know he is shooting the 7 ball, as the cue ball ???
Why do I always find the dim bulb's to bet on ???...Oh well, we are almost even for the Galveston Fiasco...If we get to play the Ghost, or the Beard....we could pick up some real $$$$ (like $60 bucks) :D :D :D

You are way too funny SJD. Thank you for the laughs. You ain't just good for the laughs-----way good at other things too. OK, don't get your hopes up, I was talking about pool. My former boyfriend tells me you were up there with the best. And believe me, if it's one thing I listen to him about, it's pool.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Clare said:
You are way too funny SJD. Thank you for the laughs. You ain't just good for the laughs-----way good at other things too.

Clare,

Trust me, he ain't much good for the laughs either, and the only other things he's good at are pissing off Freddy and robbing poor, hard-working men of their paychecks by suckering them into betting on the NFL. He's a bad seed, stay away from him or you'll be hurt:eek: .

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:

1. Dave Krenzel
2. Jose Parica
3. Jason Miller
4. Tony Moughey
5. Carey Radebaugh
6. Steve Hickman
7. Greg Sullivan
8. Josh Roberts

Congratulations are in order to op.org. forum member Twister for getting 5th place in this one-handed mini-tournament....good shooting, Carey.

- Ghost

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
Congratulations are in order to op.org. forum member Twister for getting 5th place in this one-handed mini-tournament....good shooting, Carey.

- Ghost
Carey also played a significant role in making this mini happen -- he started instigating months ago, which led to Greg Sullivan getting involved. Carey got knocked out by eventual winner Dave Krenzel.

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Yeah, I had a great time, and this mini was the highlight of the trip for me, although the HoF dinner was a close second. I was up in both games against Dave and got impatient and too aggressive and he shot well when he needed to. I swear I was playing better one-handed than I did two-handed. In the last game, we went down to the final ball, and we kept bunting the ball around the table, leaving the other one no shot when he was up. We did this for what felt like 30 minutes (but was probably shorter), and all the while, Jason Miller is sitting there, sweating the match as he had to play the winner. I think our safety battle wore him down, and Dave took advantage to beat Jason in the semis, although by then it was 5:30am, so everyone was a bit worn down.

Reverend Dave

From
Winnabow, NC
Thank You

Thank You

Although my nineball and one pocket game were suspect for most of the Derby, my win against Parica in the one handed event more than made up for it. I guess being on the losing end of many matches with Issac "Miami" Gonzales years ago ( my two hands to his one) and being witness to some very nifty one hand play by this forums own Cowboy Dennis inspired a little one handed magic of my own in the wee hours of the morning. I'll look forward to defending my title next year. Heck, I might even practice some one handed in advance.:)

Thank you to Greg Sullivan, Onepocket.org and anyone else who had a hand in the organizing of this event.

Reverend Dave

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Reverend Dave said:
Although my nineball and one pocket game were suspect for most of the Derby, my win against Parica in the one handed event more than made up for it. I guess being on the losing end of many matches with Issac "Miami" Gonzales years ago ( my two hands to his one) and being witness to some very nifty one hand play by this forums own Cowboy Dennis inspired a little one handed magic of my own in the wee hours of the morning. I'll look forward to defending my title next year. Heck, I might even practice some one handed in advance.:)

Thank you to Greg Sullivan, Onepocket.org and anyone else who had a hand in the organizing of this event.

Reverend Dave
Damn, I forgot you were a member here, Dave! Onepocket.org had a pretty good showing :D

Congratulations, you earned your win!!

This is one of my favorite photos from Derby City, taken from the gallery...

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
That's a great pic Steve. Yeah, I'd say Dave earned his win, beating both Jason Miller and Jose Parica. Yikes. Congrats again Dave.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Miami was one of a trio of great one-handed players from PR -- the one thought to have been the best being Aguzate. I am pretty sure Aguzate also played billiards -- at least his name popped up in an international billiards event back in the 70's or so.

The third player, "Chico from Puerto Rico" came up first for me when I interviewed Norm "The Farmer" Webber. Norm might have run into him in CA back in the late 50's or early 60's. I had asked Norm about great one-handed players.

There was also a great one-handed player from Massachusetts who died back in the 50's or early 60's. He was a very talented three-cushion player -- world class at that time -- but had a serious drinking problem apparently. His name was Andrew St. Jean.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Taking a chance

Taking a chance

NH Steve said:
Miami was one of a trio of great one-handed players from PR -- the one thought to have been the best being Aguzate. I am pretty sure Aguzate also played billiards -- at least his name popped up in an international billiards event back in the 70's or so.

The third player, "Chico from Puerto Rico" came up first for me when I interviewed Norm "The Farmer" Webber. Norm might have run into him in CA back in the late 50's or early 60's. I had asked Norm about great one-handed players.

There was also a great one-handed player from Massachusetts who died back in the 50's or early 60's. He was a very talented three-cushion player -- world class at that time -- but had a serious drinking problem apparently. His name was Andrew St. Jean.

Taking a chance that I will be labeled a "follower," I still have to insert this little tid-bit. Artie broke Aguzate playing either onehanded eight ball or onehanded onepocket, I have forgotten which. (Aguzate moved to Chicago in the 80s.) They played in my old joint North Shore Billiards in the 80s. It did happen, but I still have trouble believing it.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
Taking a chance that I will be labeled a "follower," I still have to insert this little tid-bit. Artie broke Aguzate playing either onehanded eight ball or onehanded onepocket, I have forgotten which. (Aguzate moved to Chicago in the 80s.) They played in my old joint North Shore Billiards in the 80s. It did happen, but I still have trouble believing it.

Beard
Or, I wonder if it might have been 3-c? Artie also played that, right?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wasnt 3 cush

Wasnt 3 cush

NH Steve said:
Or, I wonder if it might have been 3-c? Artie also played that, right?

Wasnt 3 cushion. That would not have at all have been a surprise. Artie never came close to losing playing onehanded 3 cushion. That was pure robbery against guys like Pancho, Mike Massey and others. I'm 80% sure he was playing 8 ball against Aguzate. I dont think Aguzate would have played him onehanded Onepocket and Artie would not have played 9 ball.

Beard

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
One-handed one pocket videos?

One-handed one pocket videos?

Does anyone have or know of any videos of one-handed one pocket action? I seem to remember a video of Ronnie playing one-handed every other inning (or every other shot), maybe against Harry Platis (??) but I'm curious if there are others.