Daulton vs. J.R. Gay 2001 D.C.C.

Skin

Verified Member
Cut the 15, knock the 4 up off the rail, and get position to one-rail the 9. Might get four or five balls here at least. :D

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Don't see anything but a lowly Duck.;)
Rod.
PS, You could spin it in and might get shape, might not. Probably not a scratch.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
If I was playing someone I had to give some weight to, and the 15 was tempting enough, I'd try to slice that 15 in and keep the CB under the 2 and 12 against the rail.

If I was playing someone even or stronger, I'd either try to come off the 15 and get the cb under the 9. Or if I was feeling like attempting a stronger return (and the layout supported it), I might send the 10 into the 2/12 and lay the CB against the rail near his pocket.

*shrug*

Skin

Verified Member
Don't see anything but a lowly Duck.;)
Rod.
PS, You could spin it in and might get shape, might not. Probably not a scratch.

C'mon, Rod. We all finally have a post around here (after how many months?) where we have a shot instead of a brain-numbing move to figure out, and you're ducking? Shoot! :D

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
C'mon, Rod. We all finally have a post around here (after how many months?) where we have a shot instead of a brain-numbing move to figure out, and you're ducking? Shoot! :D

Skin

Skin, If I saw it in I'm probably coming back on the wrong side of the stack.:( I can't seem to make this shot shooting easy. I can spin it in shooting easy and might be able to get lucky there ? ;) Ducking leaves him in an uncomfortable position. Your point is well taken, I prefer to fly early when possible. ;)
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
stljohnny said:
if I was feeling like attempting a stronger return (and the layout supported it), I might send the 10 into the 2/12 and lay the CB against the rail near his pocket.

*shrug*
i looked at that first clear the balls from his pocket but im not sure it lays right.
im shooting a rod/skin shot being sure i dont leave a shot and if the 15 goes in yahoo

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
Skin, If I saw it in I'm probably coming back on the wrong side of the stack.:( I can't seem to make this shot shooting easy. I can spin it in shooting easy and might be able to get lucky there ? ;) Ducking leaves him in an uncomfortable position. Your point is well taken, I prefer to fly early when possible. ;)
Rod.

Rod, I understand that if I hit thin on the 4 instead of nearly flush I am going back uptable on my side. I don't care. I haven't had a shot in these layouts for many, many months and I am darned well taking this one. The devil be damned. LOL

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
Rod, I understand that if I hit thin on the 4 instead of nearly flush I am going back uptable on my side. I don't care. I haven't had a shot in these layouts for many, many months and I am darned well taking this one. The devil be damned. LOL

Skin
you can dam the devil but watch out the ghost might scold you:eek: :D

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
you can dam the devil but watch out the ghost might scold you:eek: :D

Ah Larry, who is afraid of ghosts? Certainly not Dick and Mr. Henderson who appear to be in our Ghost's head full time and big time now. :D

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Daulton has just broken the 1st game of the match: what do you like from here? J.R. has the lower-right pocket, as you view the screen.

View attachment 1335

There's a good agressive billiard shot tha't's available, it looks like it's laying well.

Bank the 10 ball into the 8 ball with high right hand english, the cue ball will carom off the 3 ball then to the bottom rail. The high right hand english will aid you in controlling the cue ball. It actually kills the cue ball after it hits the side rail. If you happen to use high left hand english (running english)on this shot you will lose controll of the cue ball, and most likely sell out.:eek: this shot can be hit at differen't speeds, but not too hard that you lose controll of the cue ball. Remember all you need to do is open up the balls on your side, that will give your opponent something to think (worry)about.:cool:

Billy I.

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
wincardona said:
There's a good agressive billiard shot tha't's available, it looks like it's laying well.

Bank the 10 ball into the 8 ball with a little right hand english, the cue ball will carom off the 3 ball then to the bottom rail. The left hand english will aid you in controlling the cue ball. It actually kills the cue ball after it hits the side rail. If you happen to use left hand english (running english)on this shot you will lose controll of the cue ball, and most likely sell out.:eek: this shot can be hit at differen't speeds, but not too hard that you lose controll of the cue ball. Remember all you need to do is open up the balls on your side, that will give your opponent something to think (worry)about.:cool:

Billy I.
I really like this shot of yours. It looks like it's pretty hard to hit the three ball badly. This option of yours looks like it can get the 11 and the 14 balls in good position for you and turn the table in your favor especially if the cue ball can be positioned behind the nine ball. I like it!!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:

Bank the 10 ball into the 8 ball with high right hand english, the cue ball will carom off the 3 ball then to the bottom rail. The high right hand english will aid you in controlling the cue ball. It actually kills the cue ball after it hits the side rail. If you happen to use high left hand english (running english)on this shot you will lose controll of the cue ball, and most likely sell out.:eek: this shot can be hit at differen't speeds, but not too hard that you lose controll of the cue ball. Remember all you need to do is open up the balls on your side, that will give your opponent something to think (worry)about.:cool:

Billy I.

I looked at this shot and didn't think I could get the 10 ball back to the stack. If laying good it's the best choice.:p
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
I looked at this shot and didn't think I could get the 10 ball back to the stack. If laying good it's the best choice.:p
Rod.
If you happen to be laying too high to bank the 10 ball into the stack you can always bank the 10 ball into the 7 ball, after the cue ball strikes the 3 ball with the aid of the right hand english, the 3 ball will possibly get some good action from the 2 ball. I see a lot of good things happening with this shot.
This is a type of a shot that shows itself more often then you think, after the break. Players like Reyes, and Ervolino are/were the best at reconizing and executing these types of shots. Any player can develope a feel for this shot, the hard part is reconizing it's availability.;)

Billy I.

bernie p

Verified Member
wincardona said:
If you happen to be laying too high to bank the 10 ball into the stack you can always bank the 10 ball into the 7 ball, after the cue ball strikes the 3 ball with the aid of the right hand english, the 3 ball will possibly get some good action from the 2 ball. I see a lot of good things happening with this shot.
This is a type of a shot that shows itself more often then you think, after the break. Players like Reyes, and Ervolino are/were the best at reconizing and executing these types of shots. Any player can develope a feel for this shot, the hard part is reconizing it's availability.;)

Billy I.

Billy,

I like your shot for an aggressive choice. For a less aggressive (safer) shot, this may be an alternate. Given the proximity of the 3 ball to the 10 ball, it is relatively easy to control the cue as shown.

If you play whitey strong enough to ensure your opponent cannot see the 15 ball, it looks a pretty safe way to have gotten out of the break trap, and still possibly be now in control.

What do you think?

Thanks. Bernie.

Attachments

• Daulton vs. J.R. Gay 2001 D.C.C. - response.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bernie p said:
Billy,

I like your shot for an aggressive choice. For a less aggressive (safer) shot, this may be an alternate. Given the proximity of the 3 ball to the 10 ball, it is relatively easy to control the cue as shown.

If you play whitey strong enough to ensure your opponent cannot see the 15 ball, it looks a pretty safe way to have gotten out of the break trap, and still possibly be now in control.

What do you think?

Thanks. Bernie.
Here you go Bernie. This is Bernie's layout.

httponepocket.orgforumattachment.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bernie p said:
Billy,

What do you think?

Thanks. Bernie.
Bernie, you must be carefull when shooting shots like this one, especially if there is a scratch possibility. As I mentioned before the only way we can do that is develope a feel for them. Take your option as an example..if you cut the 10 ball too thin, it looks to me that you may hit the 3 ball too thin and possibly scratch. When you start changing the angle of the natural hit, that's when you really need to have a good feel for what you're doing. I'm not saying that your option is not a good one, it just doesn't appeaar to be as natural as I would like it to be. But if it's good for you, then go for it.:cool: Just try not to guess.:eek: Trust me, i'm a doctor

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
lll said:
Skin you can dam the devil but watch out the ghost might scold you :eek: :D

No way Larry....I have to watch what I say to Skin...if I accidentally say the wrong thing to him and insult him, he calls me very bad names and hurts my feelings..:(...:D

- Ghost