Are Pool Players Optimists or Pessimists?

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

Yes, I realize that it’s possible to rollercoaster from one emotion to the other in the course of a set. And perhaps there are some players so internally stoical that they don’t feel either one.

But I think some people basically have a somewhat rosy outlook on life. Others see mostly the dark side. (These pessimists, when contemplating a positive result, probably remember that old philosopher who remarked, “Don’t hold your breath.”)

Let me begin by speculating:

Efren - - an optimist.

Earl - - not so much.

SVB - - probably mostly positive.

So … pool players, how about you? And some of the other professional practitioners?

Rigorous forensic data are my life,

Sunny

P. S. During my gap year I spent a week in rural France with the most upbeat, optimistic boy I’ve ever met. A week was all I could stand.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
They put a pessimistic boy in a room full of toys.
He began tearing them up and said," Oh well they alway break anyway"

They put an optimistic boy in a room filled with horse poop.
He started digging and was very happy.
They asked what are you doing, he said "there must be a pony here somewhere."

P.S. I always expect the worst, when it happens I'm not surprised.
When something good happens, I'm overjoyed.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was a pessimist until I saw Jeff Sparks go into action on this senior soiree.

Fake pessimism is a hustle. I used to play a guy who jumped straight up in the air on every shot, as though he thought -- or feared -- he'd missed. If you watched him from across the room you'd think he couldn't make a ball.

Buddy Hall has a demeanor similar to this. He frequently looks like he's worried, but he seldom is, and he ain't no pessimist!

Watch pool players who nod their heads when they survey the table at their turn. It means, "This figures, I got screwed again." Not really pessimism, but something akin to fatalism, which is a kissing cousin.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Dear Gentle Readers,

Yes, I realize that it’s possible to rollercoaster from one emotion to the other in the course of a set. And perhaps there are some players so internally stoical that they don’t feel either one.

But I think some people basically have a somewhat rosy outlook on life. Others see mostly the dark side. (These pessimists, when contemplating a positive result, probably remember that old philosopher who remarked, “Don’t hold your breath.”)

Let me begin by speculating:

Efren - - an optimist.

Earl - - not so much.

SVB - - probably mostly positive.

So … pool players, how about you? And some of the other professional practitioners?

Rigorous forensic data are my life,

Sunny

P. S. During my gap year I spent a week in rural France with the most upbeat, optimistic boy I’ve ever met. A week was all I could stand.

Optimism and confidence feed each other, the usual by-product is success and happiness.
Pessimism and doubt are running buddies and failure is their usual companion.

The wallpaper on my cell phone used to be my miniature Schnauzers,
It's now a smiling picture of our only grandchild. When I'm feeling blue (down) I just turn on the phone and there he is, smiling up at me. My mood changes immediately. Funny how that works, just takes away whatever was bothering me, shows me what's really important and meaningful in life.

Optimism is easier when mixed with true love. JMO